PDA

View Full Version : Diet

Ghost Dog
06-18-2001, 08:48 PM
Hi all,

I am sure this topic has come up many times before, but please do help me out.

I recently turned vegetarian and am finding it hard going now that I am training a lot harder than I used to. I eat a lot of pasta and potatoes, aswell as drinking a load of milk. However, I feel that I am not gaining as much muscle tissue as I did the last time I was training up to competition standard (about a year and a half ago - I really let myself go:) and I was hitting the steak big time.

Could anyone offer any dietry tips or book/web site recommendations on the subject. esp wrt bean curd (ie tofu) and how much to eat a day, and also how the hell do you make it taste palletable! - it really is disguisting.

Any help would be much welcomed :)

chiman
06-19-2001, 05:32 PM
Check out "Healing with Whole Foods". That has good Chinese Medicine diet info.
Also, the body gets much more energy (ATP) from Fatty Acids than carbohydrates, I don't believe that is restricted to meat either. My knowledge of Chemistry is minimal.
Will you eat fish or eggs?
I have reduced my meat intake and try to eat a good deal of spinach, carrots, tofu, broccoli, and whatever I learn about as I go on. I also try to eat more fruit - at least some every day. I believe tofu is a great replacement for meat but I haven't totally replaced it.

good luck

Eight Diagram Boxer
07-02-2001, 03:20 PM
http://www.ivu.org/recipes/regions.html

I think they have some recipes for tofu that are pretty good- barbecued and so on. A good book to check out is the Taoist Cookbook by Michael Saso (if you're at all interested in that) and the one the last guy mentioned. Just type into any search engine "vegetarian recipes" and you'll get some good sites.

Knowing others is wisdom, Knowing the self is enlightenment- Lao Tzu