PDA

View Full Version : A little worried about stun guns

Single Tiger
03-02-2004, 05:40 PM
My friend a competent Martial artist was attacked yesterday with a stun gun. She said it was much harder to defend her self against it cause she kept thinking of it as just a stun gun and not a treat like a knife or a gun. luckly her boyfriend (my best friend) was down stairs and come up to see what was taking her so long to come down and scared the attacker away after a block and a half chase. physically she was'nt hurt but she felt that she falled her training.(?) and needed her befriend to save her.

my Question is the stun gun. here we have a MA who i know can take care of themselfs almost beaten by a punk with a stun gun.
what did she miss?
or did'nt do?
( I think she did just fine but she is my friend and she thinks i being kind so honestly any opinion will help.) both her and me.

rogue
03-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Huh?:confused:

1) What is a competent martial artist?
2) How incompetent was the attacker that he couldn't use a stun gun?
3) How did the attacker get in the house and why is she more worried about her martial arts skills than how the guy got into the house?
4) Sounds like your friend and the attacker were going at it for some time, how did that happen?

Single Tiger
03-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Rogue
sorry i really dont have all the anwsers to the questions but i'll try.
1.a competent Martial artist someone who know what they are doing and has the skill to execute their movements accuratly (i know she is a competent Ma ive seen the girl fight)
2. your second and fouth question i cant really answer i was'nt there but i know it was'nt very long and i pretty shore her attcker did'nt expect a fight.
3.man have you ever been attacked the last thing on you mind is how or why someone is attacking me you have to deal with your frist promble with is the person or persons in front of you next you deal with the who what when and why.

i really need some input on this has any one got any experence with stun guns?
not more questions (no offence rogue):)

Ray Pina
03-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Wow, a stun gun. First thing that came to my mind was a Taoist lesson about knives. Which part of the knife is dangerous? Only the edge. Most of its area, flat surface, is not.

Which part of the stun gun is dangerous?

Of course, stopping a knife and stun gun is different then knowing its qualities, but it's a start.

Rogue makes some good points though. Was the front door locked? Is it usually? If not, they should talk to the super about having it locked and only tenant have keys.

As far as her MA skill. She's still a girl fending off a man. I don;t care how good she is, she's at a disadvanatge. I know it's not PC, but it's still true.

Shaolinlueb
03-05-2004, 08:02 AM
was it one of those ones where it shot out things at you that attach to your skin? those hurt :(

hmmm defending yourself isnt as easy as it seems. unless she has done a lot of training against weapons then she probably wouldnt be able to do it that well. i mean if someone stuck a stun gun or knife at me i would probably give them what they want. thats more knife then stun gun.

red5angel
03-05-2004, 08:45 AM
why would a stun gun be treated differently from a knife? It has a bad end you need to avoid, that's it.

Interestingly enough, a few years back a freind of mine got a hold of a stun gun. I can't tell you the stats, I don't remember but it sounded impressive out of the package. Anyway we tried a couple of experiments.

First - we hit said owner of gun with it. He said it tingled and was hard to move.
Then he hit me with said gun and I grabbed him. He felt a little tingle as it arced throgh me to him, and I could still get a pretty good grip on him.

We determined that night, after a ocuple of more experiments, that unless your attacker is a big ole wussy, that stun guns are next to useless unless high powered, and those are usually illegal for civilian use.

CFT
03-05-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
Wow, a stun gun. First thing that came to my mind was a Taoist lesson about knives. Which part of the knife is dangerous? Only the edge. Most of its area, flat surface, is not.
Originally posted by red5angel
why would a stun gun be treated differently from a knife? It has a bad end you need to avoid, that's it.Yes, against a stun gun it sounds like a knife defence would work, if you don't freeze up. But against a taser the assailant has an extra range and speed of deployment advantage.

Originally posted by red5angel
We determined that night, after a couple of more experiments, that unless your attacker is a big ole wussy, that stun guns are next to useless unless high powered, and those are usually illegal for civilian use. People with criminal records are also not allowed to possess a firearm, doesn't stop them acquiring them does it?

You do raise the issue of how effective legally available commercial products are. Seems like the manufacturers are misleading women who buy them for self-defence purposes.

jun_erh
03-05-2004, 10:23 AM
steve-o shocked himself with one on Stern. It was pretty funny. I would think that the hardest thing would be that who trains against somone with a stun gun? It wuld create cnfusion for just about anybody

Kristoffer
03-06-2004, 10:14 AM
:D

Samurai Jack
03-06-2004, 05:02 PM
My wife's got a stun-gun that puts out 200,000 volts. I tried it on myself for probably half a second (dumb move). My arm went totally numb from fingers to neck. I didn't like it.

On the other hand, I used to box a few years back (I was dumb back then too). I'd really rather get shocked with a stun-gun then punched in the face. Then again, most people can't punch... so it depends on the person I guess.

Kristoffer
03-07-2004, 02:59 AM
:eek:

Single Tiger
03-08-2004, 08:00 PM
thank guy for the input
i found out that the attacker was a friend of the building mananger.
and they both did this before. the **** mananger gave this ******* the key to woman apts and he just seats and waits for them to come home. he rapes and robs them then splits the money with the mananger.
and the most f--- up thing is cops wont give out there names or were they are being held.:mad:
the good news is that she is pressing charges aganist them both :D
i hope they like jail.
i heard they don't like rapeist in jail:D

David Jamieson
03-08-2004, 08:28 PM
and the most f--- up thing is cops wont give out there names or were they are being held.

that's because it would lead inevitably to murder.

I don't think it is "f'ed up" to not allow vigilante murder.
After all, what the heck is the point of having a justice system?