PDA

View Full Version : Rhinoplasty (aka My Nose = Fist Magnet)

IronFist
03-02-2004, 10:14 PM
I think I'm getting better! Tonight it took three punches to make my nose bleed, instead of one punch, which is all it took the last two times :D

SevenStar
03-02-2004, 10:15 PM
hmm... seems that your iron nose skill is beginning to develop. Now if you can learn to slip, bob and weave...

Xebsball
03-02-2004, 10:21 PM
AAAAAAAAAhh now thats where the word Rhinoceront comes from!!! :D
Everythign so clear now
Life so good

IronFist
03-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
hmm... seems that your iron nose skill is beginning to develop. Now if you can learn to slip, bob and weave...

Nah dude, we don't really slip, bob, or weave. We do crazy monkey, which pretty much eliminates the need to slip, bob, and weave. I just suck at it, which is why I get punched in the nose a lot. Actually, I think I might be getting punched BECAUSE I'm slipping too much when I should be covering. That, and I'm not keeping my elbows in enough nor my shoulders high enough.

Ikken Hisatsu
03-03-2004, 02:15 AM
the hell is "crazy monkey"

and dont get into the boxer habit of bobbing and weaving low, I dont want to think about how many times ive seen a MMA/kickboxing event where they slam their head into someones chin

norther practitioner
03-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Let me guess, you guys are learning blocking next week.:D

Shaolinlueb
03-03-2004, 09:40 AM
thts good man at least it takes more lol. i broke my nose three times, it takes me a couple times tog et the thing bleeding.

Indestructible
03-03-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm all for learning to take a punch, but I'm a little too pretty to take a hit to the nose:). Block dude, seriously.

Just curious, what are most people's opinions of blocks here? How do you do them?

IronFist
03-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Ikken Hisatsu
the hell is "crazy monkey"

I made a thread about it, so search for that. Here's a quick summary:

Palms go on the top of the forehead so your elbows are kinda facing down/forward. When a punch comes into your face, you slide your hand over the top of your head (as if you were combing your hair) so that your elbow is now facing foward. This protects a lot of your face, and there's a chance you can catch their fist on the end of your elbow and break it :) But, if you suck like me, you still get hit in the nose :)

Three keys to remember:

1. Elbows in (part of the reason I keep getting hit, I think)
2. Shoulders shrugged up as high as you can (helps protect your jaw)
3. Back rounded, hips forward (helps protect body, making them have to reach for body shots)

Crazy Monkey is favored because you can teach noobs to defend a barage of punches with their backs against a wall in a very short time (that's a drill we do). If you were to put someone with their back to a wall, tell them only to block and not punch back at all, and then sit there and throw punches at them for a 3 or 5 minute round, using standard "boxing" defenses it would be hard to not get hit very much. Anyone can block one shot with boxing defenses, but when about when your opponent comes in with 3 or 5 in a row? Remember your back's to the wall and you're not allowed to punch back.

Don't get me wrong, we DO punch from CM, just not in the back-against-the-wall drill. Then we just GET punched :)

If I recall correctly, Crazy Monkey was designed to help people who aren't boxers stand a chance against trained boxers while they close the gap into a clinch or takedown.

Wow, that wasn't a "quick" summary at all :D

Shaolinlueb
03-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Indestructible
I'm all for learning to take a punch, but I'm a little too pretty to take a hit to the nose:). Block dude, seriously.

Just curious, what are most people's opinions of blocks here? How do you do them?

a block can also be as an attack. IMO :)

Indestructible
03-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb

a block can also be as an attack. IMO :)

Absolutely! You should block with the mindset to break the strikers arm.

SevenStar
03-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Ikken Hisatsu

and dont get into the boxer habit of bobbing and weaving low, I dont want to think about how many times ive seen a MMA/kickboxing event where they slam their head into someones chin

not a boxer habit, just a bad habit. they're not taught to go so low - it's a bad habit formed from wanting to make sure that you are definitely under the swing.

SevenStar
03-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by IronFist

Crazy Monkey is favored because you can teach noobs to defend a barage of punches with their backs against a wall in a very short time (that's a drill we do). If you were to put someone with their back to a wall, tell them only to block and not punch back at all, and then sit there and throw punches at them for a 3 or 5 minute round, using standard "boxing" defenses it would be hard to not get hit very much. Anyone can block one shot with boxing defenses, but when about when your opponent comes in with 3 or 5 in a row?

I've been playing with that. It's beena great way to cover up, but the problem I'm having is that my MT coach loves to punch in bunches. Once I cover up from a barrage, I'm pretty much a sitting duck until he's done. The hits aren't getting in, but still, during that time frame, I can't attack. with my slipping, parrying, etc. I can parry and counter, or I may eat a punch and counter, but I'm not stuck like I am when I just cover.

Don't get me wrong, we DO punch from CM, just not in the back-against-the-wall drill.

I was gonna ask about that - some thai boxers punch downward, due to having their hands high. That can actually be a good thing, as you are using gravity to add an extra kick to the punch. Do you guys punch like that?

Ikken Hisatsu
03-03-2004, 11:50 AM
depends on how tall your opponent is and what you're aiming for. and yeah, how do you punch back from crazy monkey? got any clips of it?

as for how to block, usually I keep my arms up in a thai fighter stance and just force attacks out of the way. If I have time to react Ill parry or counter with a deflection, like we do in kung fu. cross training is good :cool:

SevenStar
03-03-2004, 12:10 PM
height hasn't been a factor for me.

As far as your blocking, why force them out of the way? parry, parry, parry. the only thing I force when my hands are high is scooping an incoming kick. you use force to pull the leg upward and shove it out of the way.

IronFist
03-03-2004, 12:35 PM
SevenStar said:
I've been playing with that. It's beena great way to cover up, but the problem I'm having is that my MT coach loves to punch in bunches. Once I cover up from a barrage, I'm pretty much a sitting duck until he's done. The hits aren't getting in, but still, during that time frame, I can't attack. with my slipping, parrying, etc. I can parry and counter, or I may eat a punch and counter, but I'm not stuck like I am when I just cover.

Yeah, you can be a sitting duck. But you're not supposed to sit there and take it, you're supposed to clinch and take them down. CM combined with good footwork will get you in. But don't listen to me, cuz I've only been doing it for like a month and I suck.

I was gonna ask about that - some thai boxers punch downward, due to having their hands high. That can actually be a good thing, as you are using gravity to add an extra kick to the punch. Do you guys punch like that?

We punch down sometimes. Mostly the tall guys do that. ;) Remember that your chin is tucked down (something I forgot to mention in the previous post) so your forehead isn't really that high. But you are punching from a little higher, so it takes some getting used to if you're used to doing it from a standard boxing stance.

Ikken Hisatsu said:
and yeah, how do you punch back from crazy monkey? got any clips of it?
You punch back from crazy monkey the same as you do from any other stance. You just punch :) I don't have any clips but there might be some at the Straight Blast Gym website.

Pork Chop
03-03-2004, 12:44 PM
I thought it was a progressive thing...

1. cover up
2. cover up and work on responding with a punch closer and closer to his last hit
3. cover up and work on reading his punches & reacting to each
4. eventually work up to not covering up and counterpunching with each shot in the flurry...

norther practitioner
03-03-2004, 12:45 PM
As far as your blocking, why force them out of the way? parry, parry, parry.

It sounds like it could move toward that.

fa_jing
03-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Jom sao, Pak Sao - headheight blocks moving from out to in (easiest), and use your offense for defense. Be punching already when you reach punching range.

maybe

Ikken Hisatsu
03-03-2004, 08:31 PM
parrying can be difficult when the blows are raining in, I prefer to keep my face covered than move my arms, then either clinch him or just straight kick.