PDA

View Full Version : Question about forms

Youngmantis
03-03-2004, 01:53 AM
I've been in kung fu for about lets say 9 months now and I just realized that all the forms i've been doing they are only done on a certain set of sides, and my teacher didn't have me practice on both sides, only thing we practice doing boths sides are the drills and stuff, but bong bu(form i'm currently refining) are only practiced one side, and we never practice them doing it the opposite direction.

So my question is should I try to learn to learn it both sides or should I just stay to one side and until i'm good at doing it that way. Right now I feel if I dont learn it both ways I'll get my ass kicked if I ever got into a fight... :(

Tainan Mantis
03-03-2004, 02:48 AM
YM,
You feel you will get your ass kicked because you can't do forms ambidextrously?
Is this your meaning?
Having been on both ends of the ass kicking I would say, and I think a few will agree, that is the last thing in my mind.

Off the top of my head, a few things I recall that will affect the outcome.
1. State of mind takes top priority
2. ability to hit hard
3. ability to keep it up after a minute-stamina
4. Technique

That is about top to bottom in importance.
In training I keep the above in mind.
You notice that it is not PM specific until number 4.

I asked my shrfu a question many years ago.
Shrfu, what is better... two equally powerful 50 kilo punches or to build one arm up to a 100 kilo punch?

Without hesitation he said the 100 kilo punch of course.

In retrospect, thinking of fights I have lost, or when the winning wasn't fast enough I can see how the 100 kilo punch idea helps.

Of course hitting the bag and throwing the rock is done equally with both hands, as I don't want to look like Mr Crab..

KickingMantis
03-03-2004, 05:55 AM
1. State of mind takes top priority

(THE ABILITY TO TAKE A HIT)

2. ability to hit hard
3. ability to keep it up after a minute-stamina
4. Technique

EarthDragon
03-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Good question young mantis,
I am curious if you are learning the form to defend your self or just to learn the form.
I have to say that in order to defend one self using what you have learned in a form you must be very experienced and must react instictivly in order to utilize any technique other than the old block and punch, for this is what you need to really work on first.
All the techniques you learn in a form are useless if you cannot first block or redirect the attack. have someone hit you lightly in the nose with a boxing glove and then see how you react or what you instictivly remember. Then you will see for yourself.

Secondly I always encourage my students to do everything on each side so as to balance themselves. You will always favor one side of course but work more on the weak side and you will have better results and a more balaced posture.

Remember if you have not had years of fight training you cannot simply learn a form and expect that to help you win a fight, especially after just 9 months.
You are learning kung fu so that you dont have to fight, but if and when you do you will be better prepared and more efficent.