PDA

View Full Version : New Video - Weapon Sparring

pccksf
03-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Hi guys, we got new video again at
http://www.wushu.ca

here is some weapon sparring competition stuff..
but if you are in there, what will you do?
what will you use to fight in these tournament?

mantis108
03-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Thanks for sharing this link and the previous link.

Weapon sparing is an interesting idea. However, I will have to say that the format presented isn't ideal IMHO. Out of the four categories of sparring, I can only see the long range weapon (spear which I like best here) has better technical merits. I think the major thing that really throws me off is the constant yelling of "stop" and restart. Point sparring, weapon or hand to hand, is never a good idea. This makes the players sometimes seem play tag with whatever that is in their hands. It's mostly block chop or avoid chop in this demo with the exception of spear. I believe the medium range could allow takedown with the weapon since this weapon group includes the horse cutter and various short staffs. This would make the sparring more interesting. Also out of curiocity is there a flexible weaponary division? I thing nunchuks vs nunchuks would be a fun event to watch.

Just some feed back for you. Please send my regards to Sifu Lee who is a senior of mine. Thanks.

Regards

Mantis108

pccksf
03-04-2004, 08:51 PM
thanks for you feed back so much. I will certainly let sifu see this reply so that we can improve the sparring system later on. but maybe you will be surprised, I have suggested these myself to the CCKSF before too. But the problem is that the scoring system is hard to count unless we count score on the screen. Therefore, yelling STOP is like a way to avoid mis-counting on scoring. I personally like non-stop sparring too. haha!

Ren Blade
03-05-2004, 08:46 AM
The only weapons sparring we have at our school is staff sparring. With hockey helmets and hockey gloves for protection and using rattan or bamboo staffs. It's intense and fast and fun to watch when 2 people are good pulling off blocks, sticking and trapping the other's weapon.

mantis108
03-05-2004, 01:52 PM
You are most welcome. Glad that you have already thought of and suggested the possible changes to Sifu Lee. I believe in order to make weapon sparring into a sport, especially in TCMA's case, a few things have to be in place:

1) a workshop for training judges
2) a workshop for training coaches
3) a workshop to consolidate weapon techniques. I believe the best way is to train every participant in Liuhe Men Weaponary (ie, spear, staff, double saber, and saber). Also Sancai jian is great for sword. Standardized techniques are crucial for sport.
4) Demo tournament tours. I guess the simplest thing to do is to form devisions and teams within your association and have them compete in public functions all over the country. I guess internet is a great help too.

Most of all, whatever the path is going to be, never ever turn into the modern Wushu farce.

Good luck in popularizing weapon sparring in Canada.

Best regards

Mantis108

Shaolinlueb
03-05-2004, 08:51 PM
that was interesting. i like the concept they used with the foam for the spear and swords.