PDA

View Full Version : bay area bagua

qiphlow
03-04-2004, 12:53 PM
anyone know of good bagua instruction available in the sf bay area? preferably in sf itself or on the peninsula. thanx in advance.

Samurai Jack
03-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Master George Xu is bar none the very best martial artist I have ever met. He does alot of seminars and workshops, but he'll take you on as a private student for a very resonable $45 per session if he likes you.

He has REAL internal skill, the likes of which most folks only read about. I used to scoff at internal kung fu stories as purile legends until I met him. Check his schedule here:

http://www.susanamatthews.com/George%20Xu%20Home%20Page.htm

or just wander down to the swan lake at Golden Gate park between 5 and 8 am. If he's not there, one of the elder Taiji teachers will tell you how to get ahold of him, they all know and respect Master Xu.

Good luck, (I'm so jealous you live around there!).

Buddy
03-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Bernie Langan at Stillness in Motion in Albany

NorthernShaolin
03-06-2004, 07:56 PM
Which style of Pa Kua are you looking for?

Sam Wiley
03-06-2004, 08:24 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about George Xu, I would recommend you check him out. If I'm not mistaken, I believe he teaches 10 Animal Hsing Yi as well, an art well worth looking into as well.

qiphlow
03-27-2004, 04:16 PM
to northernshaolin: i'm not sure what styles there are. i'm studying yang taijiquan and dig the push hands, and especially like what i call sticky sparring--we start w/ stationary push hands, slowly increase the movement/intensity levels--the "rules" are to stay sticky, you "score" if your opponent falls, succumbs to a jointlock, or gets uprooted form a push--we will also throw in strikes and kicks (not full contact by any means, just "reminder taps" to demonstrate to your partner where he/she has an opening)--i'd like to get more into that type of thing. i'm not an acrobatic player by any means--i like to stay rooted, redirect, wrap 'em up, and BLAM!--away you fly...
i haven't seen any bagua forms (if there is such an animal), i basically know that there is the circle walking training, but that's about it. is there a resource (internet or otherwise) that could give me a brief description of the styles and their unique qualities

kungfuyou
04-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Well this isn't the peninsula side, or Bagua for that matter, but there's XingYi and Chen Style being taught at the Newark Community center on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. Cost is $40/month. Lemme know if your interested and I can get you the contact info.

NorthernShaolin
04-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Go here for aa good Pa Kua teacher:

Bryant Fong

http://www.beijingbagua.com/index3.html

He is in San Francisco at the 'Y'.

looking_up
04-27-2004, 08:12 AM
What about closer to the Santa Cruz area - who are the good bagua teachers? I'm looking for someone that teaches a complete system that takes you from foundation training to free sparring. I am especially interested in someone with Tradition Chinese Medicine skill too.

Can anyone help?

stma
04-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Ted Mancuso is in Santa Cruz.

NorthernShaolin
04-28-2004, 04:18 PM
But if your in East Bay, like around Berkeley, go here:

www.smilingtiger.net

Right stma?

Buddy
04-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Hey Joe,
Any new translations coming out?

kungfuyou
04-28-2004, 05:48 PM
There's always www.stillnessinmotion.com in Albany!

jpaton
04-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Hi Qiphlow.

I would highly recommend Liang, Qiang-Ya:

www.wudangboxing.com.

I studied from him when i was living in Oakland. He teaches Fu style bagua and was a student of Fu Zhung Song (you really can't do much better then that). He's very demanding but really knows his stuff. The only hitch is he only teaches private lessons...

You are in the hotbed of chinese martial arts in America. Take your time, look around. There are several very good teachers in the area.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questioned.

jonathan

Buddy
04-28-2004, 08:35 PM
"There's always www.stillnessinmotion.com in Albany!"

See above. Do you study with Bernie?
Bernie will hosting our teacher Luo Dexiu who is probably the best bagua guy extant. His form is flawless and he can use it to your best expectations. No brag, just fact.

kungfuyou
04-28-2004, 09:09 PM
Yeah I realized it was posted above later!! Oh well!! :D

No I don't study, but would like to some day!

stma
04-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Buddy - I was working on Yin Yuzhang's book, but it looks like Marcus Brinkmann is going to scoop me. I might still put it out in combination with Yin's book on the big chopper.

But my real life has gotten incredibly busy and I don't have much energy to put into doing a lot of translations these days.

Joseph Crandall

Buddy
04-30-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks Joe,
Real life can get in the way %^). I've always enjoyed your work.
Buddy Tripp