PDA

View Full Version : Make your own protein bars

IronFist
03-04-2004, 10:03 PM
I saw this on another board. I haven't tried it, but I thought some people here might be interested in it.

Siff posted this on the supertraining board several years ago, you can find it in the archives. I thought I would share it with you guys who are fed up with the BS products that we are given by the supplement industry.

Ingredients
1 jar (16oz) natural peanut butter
1 container honey (12oz)
Protein powder of your chosing, chocolate seems to work better.

I start by adding the PB to a large pot/dish and then pour in the honey, then thoroughly stir til blended, then I add the protein powder.

The amount of protein powder you add will vary depending on the size of the scoop you have, you will know you have added enough protein powder when after mixing, you have a product that is relatively dry to touch, if it is moist or sticky, add more protein powder.

The original recipe by Siff was to add blended oatmeal to the original ingredients, I do not because it limits the amount of protein I can add.

Other options are to add chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, MCT oil, almonds, fingernails or any other combination you can think of.

I once figured out the macronutrients in this, but have since lost it, but it is very high in calories that much I remember. I also figured that it costs about 8cents per 100g bar, give or take a few.

No need to bake, but you do need to refrigerate them.

IronFist
03-04-2004, 10:04 PM
And then there was this one, too, posted by a different guy:

These one are great too: Chewy Protein Bars
Ingredients:
- 3 tbsp. oatmeal (you can either grind it up into a powder using a blender or just use rolled oats)
- 3 tbsp. milk (I use 1 %)
- 35 grams protein powder (I use chocolate)
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter (you could use almond butter or olive oil as well)
- 2 tbsp. + 1 teasthingy fructose (you can use 3 tablesthingys of sugar as well)
- 2-tbsp. hot water mixes the oatmeal with the milk.

Preparation:
Add the protein powder and peanut butter. Mix until it looks crumbly. If you have big chunks, then make them smaller by mashing them with a fork.
Mix the fructose with the hot water. Stir until dissolved.
Add the water with fructose to the oatmeal mixture and use your hands to combine everything (make sure they are clean) You really have to use your hands because a sthingy or fork just doesn't mix everything properly.
Place the mixture in a wax paper lined container. You can useTupper ware type container that you can put sandwiches in. It is around 14x12 cm.
Cut into 6 bars and place in the fridge to cool.

Oatmeal Protein Bars:
Ingredients:
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 140 grams protein powder
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teasthingy salt
You can also add fructose or sugar.

Preparation:
Combine the above ingredients and put in a oiled (use pam) 9x9 pan.
Bake @ 350 for 35 min.
Makes 8 bars. When they are cool, put them in the fridge or they will go mouldy in a few days.

Xebsball
03-04-2004, 10:18 PM
or just carry big chunks of pork meat on your backpack along with your books and stuff and chew em during the day while on class, on the bus, waiting for the bus, when watching tv...

rubthebuddha
03-05-2004, 12:54 AM
mmmmfingernails.

nice idea, but the last thing i need to do is have another reason to cut muffins. ;)

IronFist
03-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Xebsball
or just carry big chunks of pork meat on your backpack along with your books and stuff and chew em during the day while on class, on the bus, waiting for the bus, when watching tv...

Owned!

Xebsball
03-05-2004, 06:52 AM
lol :D

Vash
03-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by IronFist
Make your own protein bars

No.

Suntzu
03-05-2004, 09:22 AM
i made the first one the other night.... with oatmeal and choco chips...... not bad....

Pork Chop
03-05-2004, 09:31 AM
too bad you're goin to ohio this weekend, even just to watch...
i feel a home ec session comin on...
imagine if we made enough that they started payin for themselves... "Pork Chop's Bangin Protein Bars"

Suntzu
03-05-2004, 09:35 AM
just keep the THC at reasonable levels........

Pork Chop
03-05-2004, 02:37 PM
no that's your brownie recipe. :p

mickey
03-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Hey IronFist,

These recipies are very old and feature ingredients that oldtimers would swear by. When I say old I mean long before the freeform amino acids, creatine, etc.

Since you seem to like this stuff I want to share with you some of the foods and ingredients that athletes that I knew would use for energy:

Wheat germ oil

Germanium

Bananas

Peanut butter

Walnuts (walnut butter)

Raisins

Vitamin C

Vitamin E

Ginseng

Honey

Bee Pollen

Lecithin

A quart of orange juice was slowly enjoyed after an intense workout-- sometimes mixed with protein powder. It was the original anti oxidant flush.

mickey

Vash
03-06-2004, 07:08 PM
You forgot the brewer's yeast!

mickey
03-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Hi Vash,

You are absolutely right! Brewers yeast was hot in the day. I also forgot:

wheat germ granules

canned sardines (the original omega 3 supplement)

cod liver oil

liver powder (nasty but fantastic)-- this was the only glandular that I trusted. Great for endurance.

Vash and others, if you know more, list them. Let other people know that there are healthier alternatives to the crap that is currently in vogue.

Thank you Vash.

mickey

Vash
03-06-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm not a big fan sardines. I like kippers, though.

Oh, here's one I made, but only once.
================================
Tuna Daquiri

-One can, tuna fish

-Four honking tablespoons of Peanut Butter

-One fresh peach

-One serving, white grapes

-Milk

-Orange Juice

-Protein Powder, two scoops, vanilla flavor

-Boiled Egg (preparation: Boil water. Break egg into water.
Scoop out egg. drop into daquiri.)
============================================

Blend that b!tch till there ain't nothing solid left. You can take that down in 30 seconds or less, I guarantee it.

I just try to eat balanced foods. Not too much of anything. I don't eat candies, I only eat cake and icecream at birthdays, and I haven't had a soda darker than Pineapple Slice in four years.

The only supplements I get are protein powder, glusamine/chondroiton, and a one a day.

abobo
03-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Cool. I'll definitely try to make some. But first I am going to make my own cheesecake.

Toby
03-07-2004, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Vash
... Tuna Daquiri ...
OMFG! How can you have even thought that was a good idea? :eek:

SevenStar
03-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I gotta agree with toby on that one...

IronFist
03-07-2004, 10:56 AM
You've never heard of Tuna shakes before? I heard they were pretty popular with bodybuilders before the advent of protein powder.

I've also heard of tuna and orange juice shakes, but only with those two ingredients; never as elaborate as the recipe Vash posted.

Actually, that one has tuna AND protein powder, which doesn't make sense. Why use tuna if you have protein powder in the first place. For that nice fish flavor?

mickey
03-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Hey Vash,

That's a real high protein shake! Good stuff.

mickey

Vash
03-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Well, the recipe I got didn't have protein powder. But, whenever I made the shake the first time, it was all kinds of funky. So, I added the protein mix, forgetting to not add the tuna.

I drink the shake a lot, just not with the tuna.

abobo
03-07-2004, 02:17 PM
The jig's up, Vash. I've discovered your identity (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/T3%20ROBOT.S%20FISHY%20SMOOTHIES).

Vash
03-07-2004, 02:29 PM
I AM UNDONE!!!

blooming lotus
03-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
You've never heard of Tuna shakes before? I heard they were pretty popular with bodybuilders before the advent of protein powder.

you are freakin kidding me!!! excuse me for a sec while I go YAK MY GUTS OUT!! DUDE, I fully dig thewhole too much food not enough protein deal but f*ck me...that's just putrid...

are you sure you're advocating those bars...sound seriously high fat!! 3/4 cup of freakin peanut butter??!! How are Your handles? I do like 4-6 protein shakes a day ( 40gms /serve) ...maybe a tablespoon of thermosomething in either water or for that extra protein, a no-fat milk...they have like up to 12gms protein per 2ooml?? that's a protein fix...but ...ermmm..enjoy your bars :p :D :cool:

Toby
03-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Yeah, I've heard of tuna shakes. But I hear tuna shake and I go, yeah, that's pretty bad. But then Vash goes and lists the whole ingredients and **** me if I didn't almost puke. He pretty much picked everything diametrically opposed to each other. I'm surprised he didn't create a black hole or a nuclear reaction.

rubthebuddha
03-07-2004, 10:56 PM
about the only things missing were curry and cranberry sauce.

why put all that **** into a shake anyway? why not just mix up a phatty protein shake with some flax, perhaps some fruit, and call it done? most protein shakes taste like butt, but there's no need to make it taste like ass, much less tuna-flavored ass.

IronFist
03-08-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
are you sure you're advocating those bars...sound seriously high fat!! 3/4 cup of freakin peanut butter??!! How are Your handles? I do like 4-6 protein shakes a day ( 40gms /serve) ...maybe a tablespoon of thermosomething in either water or for that extra protein, a no-fat milk...they have like up to 12gms protein per 2ooml?? that's a protein fix...but ...ermmm..enjoy your bars :p :D :cool:

I'm not advocating them, just letting people know about them.

But some of us like high fat diets :)

blooming lotus
03-08-2004, 03:53 PM
well fair-a freakin-nough :D ...I an usually do with a lil extra lube myself ;) ....

but for real with those tuna shakes??...I think I'm goin with buhd :cool:

mickey
03-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Greetings,

Back in those days athletes combined certain foods and ingredients and then allowed the body to take what it needed. It was not as specific as it is today. Those recipes are not bad. One may simply add lecithin to help metabolize the fats.

The term calorie seems to have a different meaning now than before. A calorie was the amount of energy it took to break down a substance for energy; now, the term seems to refer to fat producing potential.

Raw peanut butter is much healthier than the store bought stuff. The egg component supplies lecithin. People were also looking for natural alternatives to steroids. Raw eggs were popular.

If the recipes that IronFist posted were for ONE protein bar, then, yeah, that is too much. But it isn't

rubthebuddha, when is the next international butt and ass tasting convention?

mickey

blooming lotus
03-09-2004, 05:38 PM
I guess it's not so bad but If I 'm consuming that that much fat....I'll still get into some serious lemon juice, hot fluids and balance lipids...drama..ya know :rolleyes:

go the protein shake and something leafy...and if you're out ....do milk, egg whites and a lil carby fknows.....

..................unless you're feeling particularly creative and really want to donn the apron...no judgements ;) :p :D :D

Vash
04-04-2004, 03:53 PM
Makes about 2 cups (22 oz - serves 2-3)
10 dried apricots (about 2 oz)
1 1/2 cups (12 oz) milk or fortified soy milk, chilled
1/2 cup acidophilus yogurt or soy yogurt
1 medium banana, peeled
2 teaspoons honey
4 ice cubes

Put the apricots in a small bowl and add boiling water to cover. Let sit for 15 minutes. Drain and let cool to room temperature. In a blender, combine the apricots with all the remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Serve immediately.

Found this in the E-Zine Archives. Looks like it could be pretty good. I get back to training, gonna use this every once in a while in place of my protein shakes.

mickey
04-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Hi Vash,

The dried apricots seem to make it a bit too sugar intense. If they are store bought, you would have to take into consideration what was used to preserve it: sulfites, etc. A few slices of fresh pineapple or even fresh apricots would be nice. Bee pollen (1-2 teaspoons) and wheat germ oil (2 tablespoons) would really round it out!

mickey

Vash
04-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I'm not a big preserved fruit fan. The fresh apricots would be great.

I love pineapple, but I'm allergic, so I don't see that happening.

mickey
04-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Hey Vash,

You can substitute kiwi for the banana and add strawberries.

or

Use oranges, lime, lecithin, banana and increase the honey a little.

mickey

blooming lotus
04-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Vash
Yeah, I'm not a big preserved fruit fan. The fresh apricots would be great.

I love pineapple, but I'm allergic, so I don't see that happening.

mmm.pineapple..good enzymes, high glucose...good recovery

oh that's right...you can't have any :eek: :D :p

Vash
04-05-2004, 06:17 PM
But I can throw in artifical pineapple flavor! :D

I want some pineapple . . . *sniffle*

mickey
04-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Hi blooming lotus,

What is your special workout drink? I hope more members with the knowledge will contribute to this thread and show the others that there are healthier alternatives to the junk that is out there.

Vash re: "sniffle" Mad funny. I am like that with shrimp; I love it but it hates me to death (that includes all crustaceans and scavengers).

mickey

Vash
04-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Seafood of all kinds belongs IN MY BELLY!

blooming lotus
04-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by mickey
Hi blooming lotus,

What is your special workout drink?
mickey

it depends what phase I'm in in my diet, but I might do a shot of lemon juice w. a vitamin on rising, black coffe, and a cold green tea w/equal...then post first workout I'll do either a glass of lemon juice/soda water/and equal , a quick effervencent energy tab drink (recovery and pre if going straight onto another workout sesh), theen after a shower, I'll do a protien shake w/goats milks (for metab kick/viscous) and either water or no-fat milk

if I really need a fruictose, I'll do something like apple and blackcurrant juice in soda water with or without lemonjuice.

I also like to throw fat free icecream and goats milk in a thermoshake, maybe water to minimise the protein grind I sometimes get

If I'm going heavy on protein early in the day, I'll always do at least 100ml of cab sauv red wine because it breaks down the protien

cheers..thanks for asking

mickey
04-07-2004, 03:56 PM
blooming lotus,

I am alarmed by your use of aspartame (Equal), people have died and have suffered seizures from that stuff.

I tried that stuff when it first came out. I had a large 18 oz glass of Pepsi. I was stuck in the college library for six hours unable to recall the previous day's lecture through the previous week's classes. My brain was totally jacked up. The negative reports came out the following week. If my memory is correct aspartame breaks down into formaldahyde in the body.

Be careful,

mickey

blooming lotus
04-07-2004, 04:11 PM
I'm huge on equal....i normally use it in conjuction with some counterative though, like lemon juice or soda water...I also balance lipids everyday so with my colon so busy, I don't think it stays around long enough to be harmful....that's why I say that my diet and exercise regime isn't for everyone because if you don't have enough information and experience you can get yourself in some serious danger.....but if you're onto it and vigilantly aware..I don't believe I've heard a better programme ...works for me anyway ;)

mickey
04-07-2004, 05:13 PM
blooming lotus,

Have you ever tried raw honey? You don't have to mix it in. Just take a spoon with your green tea or whatever drink that you are having.

mickey

personal question: are you "on time" every month?

blooming lotus
04-08-2004, 10:00 AM
ah ha..every month, like to the minute....

as for the honey, I don't really like to extra sugar..but thx for the suggestion. For inner healing I use pawpaw..or maybe the iodine in goats milk ....

as far as the aspartme is concerned ...I think I've spoken about getting crusty before, as long as you keep fluids pretty high (like water and soda water, bitter tea, etc) it's not normally a problem. Thanks for the concern though

cheers

Ps., I think that since your viscous is central to dealing with all the bodies toxins, wastes etc that if you maintain both these really well, the flush will take care of itself ;)

abobo
10-06-2004, 09:18 AM
more tuna shakes: http://www.deepsquatter.com/shake.htm

And, I was also told that 1 can of tuna mixed with 250 g of cottage cheese: 1/3 of this mixture has: 118 cal 2.3 g fat 20g protein 4.7g carbohydrate

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-06-2004, 11:01 PM
tuns shakes are a desperate mans food , so for someting the rest of the population can eat ???

Toby
10-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Eyebrows, I thought you were already the nutrition expert? Ah, nostalgia! Re-reading this thread took me back to when no-one fought with you and you hadn't revealed your true colours yet.

I've gotta say, those protein bar recipes sounded good though. Thanks abobo - I'd forgotten about this thread. I might try some of those.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-06-2004, 11:14 PM
I'm sure you miss the woman, but she has been banned for now, and though I'm no nutritional expert , those tuna shakes just sound hard to swallow!!!!!