PDA

View Full Version : Official: Shoulder f-ed up!

Merryprankster
03-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Well, it's official. I've done severe structural damage to my shoulder that will take fairly extensive surgery to heal. Alternative therapies aren't putting what's wrong right (part of my labrum avulsed and SLIPPED OFF the surface it's supposed to be attached to. Think loose inner tube on a rim)

prognosis: 90% success rate for the surgery. 6 weeks in a gunslinger brace, pain pills, lots of rehab, back to full speed by early to middle fall.

Trying to schedule the surgery ASAP.

Chang Style Novice
03-05-2004, 02:32 PM
Can you share the pain pills?;)

Speedy recovery, man.

Xebsball
03-05-2004, 02:32 PM
sucks dude, but you gon be ok with ninety percent (btw, pimp gets 100%)
just remember to readjust diet so you dont get fat when youre inactive
being fat sucks lots man

Merryprankster
03-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Well, I'll likely lose some range of motion, but I'll take shoulder stability and ability to do what I want over a couple of degrees and not being able to do what I want.

Ray Pina
03-05-2004, 02:46 PM
****! I feel for you. Make the most of the out time thinking, studying vids., theorizing and most of all, chillin out. You train hard, now relax a bit.

FatherDog
03-05-2004, 03:26 PM
****, that sucks, MP. At least you've got a good recovery prognosis. Good luck with rehab.

phantom
03-05-2004, 03:45 PM
How did it happen? I hope the surgery is not too expensive. At any rate, good luck on your rehab and hope you are able to get back to your regular training routine soon.

red5angel
03-05-2004, 03:46 PM
sucks man, sorry to hear it. It really sucks that to do what we like to do, and to really apply yourself, you risk these sorts of things. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Also, while your recovering, if you need any help with your wife....I'm just sayin'

SevenStar
03-05-2004, 03:58 PM
that's effed up... fall will be here before ya know it though.

Vash
03-05-2004, 04:23 PM
That's ****ed up. Hope the surgery goes all right.

Merryprankster
03-05-2004, 04:35 PM
How did it happen?

Quick hint: When fitting in for an uchi-mata in a shiai, don't forget to pull your opponent forward. Otherwise, they pick you up with a HUGE te guruma and drop you on your shoulder, dislocating it. :D

Christopher M
03-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Hope it works out quick and for the best.

fa_jing
03-05-2004, 06:21 PM
You find a bad-ass surgeon, you'll be cool.

Chang Style Novice
03-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

Quick hint: When fitting in for an uchi-mata in a shiai, don't forget to pull your opponent forward. Otherwise, they pick you up with a HUGE te guruma and drop you on your shoulder, dislocating it. :D Kinda like this? (http://judoclubsaacy.ifrance.com/judoclubsaacy/teguruma.htm)

(warning, tiny French judoka behind link)

PaulH
03-05-2004, 07:59 PM
When I was a kid, Judo was the king of self defense in Viet Nam. A bunch of youngsters was lining up to throw a certain tall assistant instructor Judoka using this technique. One kid tried at least 6 or 7 times in vain pulling the guy forward to tip him over. The instructor finally got a little irked. He reached over, grabbed the kid's knees, and raised him all the way up over his head. To our utter shock and horror, he slammed the poor thing down to the thin mat with full force. Needless to say, that little skinny thing couldn't breath quite well, and chaos reigned immediately. The sadistic killer wannabe only got 2 weeks suspension afterward. You got my full sympathy on your bad luck, MP. I was supposed to be right after that kid.

Regards,
PH

Serpent
03-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

Quick hint: When fitting in for an uchi-mata in a shiai, don't forget to pull your opponent forward. Otherwise, they pick you up with a HUGE te guruma and drop you on your shoulder, dislocating it. :D
Hah! That'll teach you. You should study a real martial art and that would never have happened. You could have simply sunk into a deep horse stance and prevented your shoulder from ever coming near the ground. :)

Fix up soon, bro. Don't be impatient - let it heal properly this time or it will never go away!

IronFist
03-05-2004, 11:42 PM
That's not good, man. But I still have no idea what happened even after watching that video.

Good luck with the recovery, tho. Find a good surgeon, and as others mentioned, you may need to alter your diet while you're healing. Also be aware that that arm may atrophy a bit.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

rogue
03-06-2004, 07:00 AM
Get well soon Merry.

Just wondering, will you try going to the gym from time to time to at least watch or maybe coach?

BTW, watch out for Ap, he might try to take advantage of you and run up his number of wins against you;)

No_Know
03-06-2004, 12:04 PM
When trying "x", recall wh"y" you might should rethink or plan for the redirect (http://judoinfo.com/gaeshi.htm)

Dislocated and too bad for a chiropractor? May I make it less bad? Can be done from a distance, no hands-on and you do not have to believe in chee/chi/qi/ki.

Would you be willing in Summer to Third Power gym if paid for (parking/ring fee)? I might get a grant and I could use people to run tests. Given report of your injury, I might like to come-up with combatives you feel work with your current abilities.

I think you might be considered an ortodox player as far as your training. You might rely on both arms~ in your trainings and not have a focused training for only one good arm at the start of a match. If you'd be interested in working on this, that would be in line with the grant.

If you do not have access to a masseuse...if you are willing to take your chances I could look into making myself available to help your shoulder and you recouperate.~

So, (needle-and-thread) Hands-Over, sparring/specialty training (fighting with a disloctaed shoulder until it heals, and or or massage?

Whatever whatever, I hope the cooking and relationships are going well enough.

Oso
03-06-2004, 08:27 PM
ok, not trying to be a smart ass but..

I have three ribs that regularly slip out of their socket on my sternum...

several times a day I flex and stretch my chest backwards and they will all pop back in place...pop1...pop2...pop3...

this, combined with regular minor damage and aggravation to my shoulders...

has caused the end of my collarbone that attaches to the top of my sternum is now semi-permanently dislocated about one half an inch out of where it attaches to the top of my sternum...

which causes issues where the collarbone attaches into the shoulder...

to which my chiro ( who arel well known for wanting all the money for themselves ) has said "dude, you need surgery..."

that sucks, MP, best of luck, I'm holding off till after June and the sport jujitsu nationals. Once a week adjustment by a chiro is allowing me to practice until the next adj w/ only minimal pain.

stupid...yes...but I don't have the same number of years ahead of me as MP does...I just need to get through June and possibley Nov.

blooming lotus
03-07-2004, 04:45 PM
I was just gonns say something similar...ask your doctor for some stretches, like drop your shoulder and strectch your neck out, or maybe ...an I dunno exactly what your drama is..but maybe some isometrics'll help....

feelin ya, so speedy healing :D :p

Merryprankster
03-07-2004, 06:40 PM
no_Know,

Thanks for the offer. I can actually do a lot of things. I could box for instance as long as I never throw a left hook, LOL. But there are other motions that I genuinely cannot do. It's also a question of pressure and degree. I can DEFINITELY work within my current abilities if I needed to. In fact, I've been working on improving certain aspects of my game - it's changed quite a bit since my injury...

Anyway, the problem is not that I couldn't change activities or adjust what I do to fit my abilities. The problem is that my goals don't work with that. I want to be competitive at the highest levels of BJJ and Submission Grappling. I cannot do that with the current structural damage to my shoulder. Just as a one armed wrestler may be really good - even to the point of being competitive in college, it's extremely unlikely that such a wrestler would ever be an Olympic caliber player.

Unfortunately, there are no alternative therapies that will reattach my labrum in the correct place--even if it were to reattach, it would do so in the WRONG place--and that's no good either.

The rule of orthopaedics is "If what is wrong doesn't interfere with your life, don't cut." This injury prevents me from my goals. So I have to get it fixed.

qeySuS
03-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Hope you have a quick recovery.

Suntzu
03-08-2004, 07:29 AM
good luck.....

norther practitioner
03-08-2004, 10:20 AM
sipping tea

To a speedy recovery and to hoping that all goes well.

Sorry to hear that man, but I have a fealing that you'll be back on your game sooner than expected.

Tak
03-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Oso
I have three ribs that regularly slip out of their socket on my sternum...

several times a day I flex and stretch my chest backwards and they will all pop back in place...pop1...pop2...pop3...
Whoa, I have a rib that does that! I never heard of this happening to anyone else. People just give me weird looks when I stretch back and it goes POP!