View Full Version : Attn: Apoweyn

red5angel
03-05-2004, 03:50 PM
What is the coop?

your one weird guy ap....

http://www.apoweyn.net/

rubthebuddha
03-05-2004, 05:43 PM
appers clearly has too much time on his hands.

either that, or he was a little tipsy and flipped between the matrix and chicken run on his pay channels. either way, was good, albeit odd, writing. :)

Oso
03-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Ap has clearly told us that he is attempting to supplant No_Know for KFM Guru.

awesome, just totally effing awesome....

Chang Style Novice
03-06-2004, 09:25 PM
You definitely need to submit that to metaphilm.com, Dude.

red5angel
03-08-2004, 07:43 AM
not only did I have to endure the wierdness, but I also could not get to the good stuff, martial arts and RPG, both links are dead!!!

apoweyn
03-09-2004, 08:06 AM
Huh. You found that.

:)

What can I tell you. I was watching Chicken Run with my folks recently and I started thinking. Thinking led to writing. Writing led to high wierdness.

As for the other links, well I hadn't planned on making any grand announcements or anything. But it doesn't seem quite right to just ignore it either.

I've sort of been forced into MA retirement. I have a serious medical condition. And I've been "strongly encouraged" to give up contact sports. Serious trauma to the body could put me in surgery. Which, in turn, could mean dialysis sooner. As is, I might be on dialysis as soon as 12 years from now.

Part of me says "do what you love anyway." But truth told, fellas, I watched my grandmother spend every other day in the hospital on dialysis. And while I'm sure the technology has come a long way since the 70s and 80s, I'm equally sure that I don't want that for myself any sooner than necessary.

Fencing is still on the table. Perhaps BJJ as well. But, ironically, heavy contact sparring is out. And I don't really think I can live with training the styles I've trained without that.

So the MA link may well go away. Or I may put up fencing stuff. I don't know.

On the bright side, this affords me more time to write some really weird sh*t.

apoweyn
03-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
You definitely need to submit that to metaphilm.com, Dude.

Never heard of it. What is it?

I guess I should go and have a look, huh? :)

My wife actually got a kick out of that "essay" as well. So much so that she actually provided all sorts of ideas for "Coop Reloaded."

red5angel
03-09-2004, 08:25 AM
that really sucks man, may I ask what exactly the issue is?

Atleast you still have low impact stuff. I don't know how much you buy into that sort of stuff but maybe you could try some qigong type stuff to help keep you in shape? I don't know what to make of it myself but I know it's sort of helped a few freinds of mine.

apoweyn
03-09-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
that really sucks man, may I ask what exactly the issue is?

I have polycystic kidney disease. Inherited. The acronym makes me laugh though. PKD. I have to give up JKD and TKD over PKD.

Maybe laugh is the wrong word. Smirk is probably closer. :)

Atleast you still have low impact stuff. I don't know how much you buy into that sort of stuff but maybe you could try some qigong type stuff to help keep you in shape? I don't know what to make of it myself but I know it's sort of helped a few freinds of mine.

I don't really know what I think of qigong either, to be honest. As with most quasi-mystical things, I'm willing to entertain the idea that there's something to it. But I can't entertain the sales pitch. Know what I mean?

But as the saying goes, there are no atheists in fox holes.

I've thought about taiji as well as the fencing and BJJ I mentioned. And I'll probably still work on heavy bags and pads and wotnot. But I'll be hard pushed to consider padwork "martial arts" without any significant sparring. That's kinda semantics. But I'd feel a hypocrite claiming to practice martial arts when anything more serious than point fighting could be serious trouble.

Stuart B.

red5angel
03-09-2004, 08:39 AM
LOL! Well atleast your trying to keep a sensible head about it all, and you'll finally have to give up TKD which I hear is a good thing ;) (just kidding you TKD guys and girls)

I understand where your coming from. I get a little wierded out about some of the mystical stuff as well, I just can't swallow it and when guys talk to me about it I always feel like I should be holding crystals and snorting incense.
However, since I started doing some taichi and some other so called "internal" forms, I have certainly noticed some small things that have changed, in mental and physical health.
I was pretty much thinking of something like taichi. You could still learn the practical applications, you know, for self defense or whatever, but you can concentrate on the other stuff as well.

Shoot, in a way it's sort of liberating possibly. I know I struggle with wanting to get some no nonsense fighting skill out of my training, but I enjoy the hell out of some of the traditional stuff I learn, forms and all that, and I certainly fel some benefits from doing them.

norther practitioner
03-09-2004, 08:51 AM
While I'm not all into some qigong, I can attest to it being good for you in some sense. Taiji as well. I do a little of both, not enough to be an expert, however, I do think they both do a lot for me.

apoweyn
03-09-2004, 08:51 AM
"Liberating" is precisely how I'm trying to look at it. I've been doing this for 20 years, give or take. Perhaps it's just time. I certainly wouldn't miss the politics and arguments. The real question is simply "what's next?" (And the answer had better not be "more couch time.")

That's the interesting part really. PKD comes with free high blood pressure. That can be mitigated in part by (of course) exercise. But my primary source of exercise has always been martial arts. So I'm now being forced to find other physical activities I can dig on. So while I'm bummed about giving up one, I'm also learning to enjoy racquetball and fencing. BJJ is next. (I still have the three-month membership my wife bought me.) And after that, whatever I want really, as long as it doesn't involve MP peppering me with body shots.

I should probably shut up about it now. I hadn't planned on saying anything at all. Couldn't really even get into the idea of posting on threads, knowing that I'm now strictly a paper tiger. But you guys are friends in some sense. And I figured an explanation was probably warranted. (Preferably without one of those dreadful "I'm leaving" threads.)

Stuart B.

EDIT: To remove a cheap shot.

red5angel
03-09-2004, 08:56 AM
sounds like you have an "interesting" conundrum. Atleast you CAN exercise so no reason to not pursue the other aspects of the martial arts that don't require you take shots. Atleast with 20 years under your belt you've had enough experience with that aspect to know what its about. Maybe now you can take this time to refine everything else, or just do things you've wanted to do but haven't had time to in the past.
Eitherway brother I wish you luck, and I hope you don't fade form this site.

Vash
03-09-2004, 09:00 AM
I'm looking forward to the combat in Coop: Reloaded.
And the mechanical mayhem of Coop: Revolutions.

I don't know if you're a religious dude, Ap, but I'll pray for you.

apoweyn
03-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Cheers Red5.

Stuart

FatherDog
03-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Ah, geez, ap; that blows. Particularly since it means I'm never gonna get to spar with you now :( ;)

Hopefully BJJ and fencing will fill that area of your life, at least...

apoweyn
03-09-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Vash
I'm looking forward to the combat in Coop: Reloaded.
And the mechanical mayhem of Coop: Revolutions.

I'll work on those. :)

I don't know if you're a religious dude, Ap, but I'll pray for you.

I'm not, in the commonly accepted sense of the word. But I do believe that I'm very fortunate to have the well wishes of others. So I thank you for that, mate.

Stuart

apoweyn
03-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by FatherDog
Ah, geez, ap; that blows. Particularly since it means I'm never gonna get to spar with you now :( ;)

Hopefully BJJ and fencing will fill that area of your life, at least...

Hey, you fence and you wrestle. Don't count it out yet mate. ;)

red5angel
03-09-2004, 09:13 AM
yeah but I don't fence or wrestle! I only punch and kick things for the most part, and not all that good! now what am I supposed to do?!
Guess I'll have to take your wife or something, in the ring I mean, fighting and stuff.

apoweyn
03-09-2004, 09:15 AM
yeah but I don't fence or wrestle! I only punch and kick things for the most part, and not all that good! now what am I supposed to do?!
Guess I'll have to take your wife or something, in the ring I mean, fighting and stuff.

You wouldn't stand a chance. :)

FatherDog
03-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn

Hey, you fence and you wrestle. Don't count it out yet mate. ;)

Man, it's been about six years now since I've fenced...

Which isn't to say I wouldn't spar anyway. Just that you might want to save it for right after you've been rolling with MP and need a confidence booster :D

Oso
03-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Ap, my .02 would be that you won't know for yourself about the effects of qigong till you try it.

IF and WHEN I can get the hell out of Asheville (starting to feel like I'm trapped) I'd be a happy to show you the one I know.

oh...and you can't leave...there will be nothing good left if you do.

apoweyn
03-09-2004, 02:24 PM

Man, it's been about six years now since I've fenced...

Which isn't to say I wouldn't spar anyway. Just that you might want to save it for right after you've been rolling with MP and need a confidence booster :D

Or after fencing my pal Daws, who has suddenly learned how to get his fence on and is now consistently pummeling me. :)

apoweyn
03-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Oso
Ap, my .02 would be that you won't know for yourself about the effects of qigong till you try it.

IF and WHEN I can get the hell out of Asheville (starting to feel like I'm trapped) I'd be a happy to show you the one I know.

oh...and you can't leave...there will be nothing good left if you do.

And I'd be happy to take you up on that offer, my friend. Cheers.

I'll be around. I just don't like the idea of posting when I know I can't actually do anything I'm espousing. So it'll just be a matter of figuring out how I fit in to this hobby now. Know what I mean?

Stuart B.

red5angel
03-09-2004, 02:32 PM
that's rediculous Ap. You have plenty of experience in the arts and in one way or another your going to continue on so don't even let the thought cross your mind.

FatherDog
03-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn

And I'd be happy to take you up on that offer, my friend. Cheers.

I'll be around. I just don't like the idea of posting when I know I can't actually do anything I'm espousing. So it'll just be a matter of figuring out how I fit in to this hobby now. Know what I mean?

Stuart B.

Hey, I doubt Mickey could've knocked out Apollo Creed, but that didn't make his advice to Rocky any less valid.

Man, that was the worst analogy ever. I hang my head in shame.

apoweyn
03-09-2004, 02:53 PM

Hey, I doubt Mickey could've knocked out Apollo Creed, but that didn't make his advice to Rocky any less valid.

Man, that was the worst analogy ever. I hang my head in shame.

Oh I don't know. It kinda works. "Ya postin' like a bum, ya bum!!"

Yeah. I can do that.

that's rediculous Ap. You have plenty of experience in the arts and in one way or another your going to continue on so don't even let the thought cross your mind.

I hear ya. Thanks Red5.

Vash
03-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Indeed, Ap. You've got a tad more experience than most of the posters around here, so I think it's a good chance that you'll know what you're talking about.

rogue
03-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Aww **** Ap that's bad news. :(

I just don't like the idea of posting when I know I can't actually do anything I'm espousing. Your situation doesn't wipe out your experience and your insights. You're a valued person here Stuart and would be missed. :)

BTW, are you doing any Ren Fairs?

Oso I reckon you trying to pass on your old mattress and a tree tantric sex chi gung. :p

rubthebuddha
03-09-2004, 09:57 PM
ap,

we appreciate both your humility and your new-found perspective. however, we appreciate the rest of your words more. remember -- we wouldn't give two ****s about your humility or perspective if we thought you were an assmunch. we don't think such, so we'll give more than just two ****s about whatever it is you choose to share. :)

Vash
03-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Yeah. At least a good three of four solid ones.

Remember, paper tigers never fought no body. It's them scarred-up mother****ers that got something good to say.
And it's pretty clear you were never a paper tiger.

apoweyn
03-10-2004, 08:08 AM
Thanks gang. I don't care what anyone else says. You guys are alright. :)

apoweyn
03-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by rogue
BTW, are you doing any Ren Fairs?

You betcha. Those axes aren't going to throw themselves. :)

I do the Maryland RennFest pretty much every year. I've never done the Northern Va one though. Are there others in the area? Closer to your end of town maybe?

What about you?

Stuart B.

red5angel
03-10-2004, 08:50 AM
keeerist Ap, you're one of those guys! I bet you have a nice set of velvet tights and "blousy" shirt you think gets girls too ;)

apoweyn
03-10-2004, 09:34 AM
keeerist Ap, you're one of those guys! I bet you have a nice set of velvet tights and "blousy" shirt you think gets girls too ;)

You're one to talk. Aren't you the guy who does security at the RennFest? It takes a special breed to combine the inherent coolness of minimum-wage security work with the babe tractor beam that is medieval re-creation. :)

red5angel
03-10-2004, 09:40 AM
LOL! Just don't ever associate me with SCA!!!

Besides, you would be sruprised how many babes those red and gold costumes we have to wear attracts! Like bees to honey my freind!

rubthebuddha
03-10-2004, 09:41 AM
It takes a special breed to combine the inherent coolness of minimum-wage security work with the babe tractor beam that is medieval re-creation. that's it, ap, you're never allowed to leave. :D

FatherDog
03-10-2004, 09:52 AM

Besides, you would be sruprised how many babes those red and gold costumes we have to wear attracts! Like bees to honey my freind!

Dude, bragging about being able to pull chicks at a ren-fest is like saying "Check out how many fish I can shoot in this barrel!"

red5angel
03-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Dude, bragging about being able to pull chicks at a ren-fest is like saying "Check out how many fish I can shoot in this barrel!"

LOL! True dat! ;)

MasterKiller
03-10-2004, 10:15 AM

Besides, you would be sruprised how many babes those red and gold costumes we have to wear attracts! Like bees to honey my freind! I've seen those Ren women....more like cows to a trough....

red5angel
03-10-2004, 10:17 AM
I've seen those Ren women....more like cows to a trough....

someone has to love the cows too

norther practitioner
03-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I figured they were reffering to babe the cow, not actual "babes"

MasterKiller
03-10-2004, 10:57 AM
You know what I hate about Ren people, besides the fat chicks? There is always that one guy, with long black hair, and his fingernails painted black, who tells everyone he is a dark wizard.

red5angel
03-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I figured they were reffering to babe the cow, not actual "babes"

do you always talk about your mom that way?!

Msterkiller - One guy?! One?! I freakin wish!!!

MasterKiller
03-10-2004, 11:04 AM
This is a kickin' Saturday night at Red5's house.

http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=220487

apoweyn
03-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
that's it, ap, you're never allowed to leave. :D

:D

I'll be around then.

KC Elbows
03-10-2004, 11:48 AM
I think there's probably a lot of people on here who, for various reasons, choose to put martial arts in a different place in their life than "my alpha and omega". Hell, I'll never be as good as I could be, because I only have time for one stand up style, which I work slowly at improving with when not being dad/hubby/student/workerbee.

What will probably get your goat in the future is guys who are able to fight full contact, but fail to see the opportunity.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your kidney. I would imagine that you'll have a much better life than previous family members with this, what with medicine being so profittable-- I mean, advanced.;) :D

And that review is hilarious. I love when people take the wind out of overblown concepts. Except my own, of course. My self importance is unassailable!

red5angel
03-10-2004, 11:59 AM
more like this masterkiller - http://www.redvsblue.com/bloodgulch_s1.shtml

and holy crap, I didn't realise KC was a father!!!! They let you people breed?!

red5angel
03-10-2004, 12:04 PM
you know, the more I think about this Ap the more it hits me. I have a small list of people I want to kick the crap out of on this forum, mostly freindly, and you were at the top. I figured to make a trip over to the east coast here soonish to visit some of you guys and throw down a little. If KC would have got sick that would have been ok cause I could kick his ass sick or not.
Fukk, it's cliche but I guess it happens to even the best of us.

as it is I now have to wait atleast 6 months to show MP how to grapple correctly....:mad: :(

KC Elbows
03-10-2004, 12:32 PM
If KC would have got sick that would have been ok cause I could kick his ass sick or not.

Cool, I was hoping you'd come down, I bought you a real dog. Thanks aren't necessary, I'm satisfied knowing that the neighborhood kids won't be able to beat you up anymore.

red5angel
03-10-2004, 12:34 PM
all I know is, if there's anything left when my corgi gets done with you, I'm going to be on your ass like a pack of dogs on a three legged cat!

That's Pembroke corgi by the way, not the tailed, fancy smancy corgi's but the death dealing tailless dogs of satan.

KC Elbows
03-10-2004, 12:38 PM
I hadn't realized it was a pembroke welsch corgy, the real life inspiration for the snausage. Your new dog will love its chewy center!

apoweyn
03-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
I hadn't realized it was a pembroke welsch corgy, the real life inspiration for the snausage. Your new dog will love its chewy center!

LOL

red5angel
03-10-2004, 12:43 PM
I don't think I have anything to say to that.....I don't think I could do it justice.

KC Elbows
03-10-2004, 12:47 PM
****. I was hoping to expand this into it's own forum. But who would mod it?