PDA

View Full Version : Is it Mantis or is it You?

Da Yong
03-06-2004, 08:03 AM
This post is for Mantis folks of all levels and all styles.
While we practice , apply and teach our arts how much do we let other parts of us ; other training, our personal preferences, our limitations, change and or modify what we do?
Also do we embrace these new notions or delete these ideas or perhaps, save these ideas. Please respond with some examples.
:)

EarthDragon
03-06-2004, 12:22 PM
I feel Kung Fu is way of life and try to carry over everything into daily living, though it gets hard sometimes.

Da Yong
03-07-2004, 07:29 AM
Earth Dragon,
I understand what you are saying, sometimes it is hard. Often I am overwhelmed by how hard it is but ,what do You do with all the stuff? For example an effective approach which may not be well accept by your style mates.

Ren Blade
03-09-2004, 07:58 AM
You do it to enjoy the challenge. It is definitely hard. But good things never really came easy. If you can endure hard training sessions of Kung Fu, you learn to overcome hard and difficult times in your own personal life with confidence, a calm aggressive mind and higher awareness. Just stick with it and hang in there.

mantis108
03-09-2004, 11:42 AM
I am wondering what do you have found effective and would improve on what is offered? May be you would share the method and we can all discuss it? Thanks

Mantis108

SevenStar
03-10-2004, 12:09 AM
I'mnot a mantis guy, but I change as needed - it's necessary in order to stay on top of your game. I train judo, bjj and muay thai. In judo, If I am used to throwing harai goshi (sweeping hip) against people my height or smaller, I can reach over their shoulder to throw them. If I'm fighting someone taller, do I forget about that throw because I can't reach over his shoulder? No. I modify the throw so that I reach around his waist. I know the traditional way of doing the throws, but also have modified versions that work better for me in competition.

As for the second part of your question, I embrace such ideas. I would never be able to advance in skill if I didn't.

TaiChiBob
03-10-2004, 05:22 AM
Greetings..

"Change is the universal constant".... whatever your Mantis style, it was a derivitive of another style, and so it will continue.. any style that rejects change will eventually stagnate.. That is the beauty of Kung Fu, it changes to meet new challenges.. it preserves the traditions and evolves at the same time.. some systems keep losing due to the master's reluctance to pass it "all" on, successive generations of that mentallity will destroy a system.. Change should not be lightly introduced to a system, it should be scrutinized, evaluated and tested before included in the systems curriculum, but.. change is appropriate..

The introduction of "personal" style into a system is unavoidable, we ARE individuals.. we each shoot at the same target, and we each miss in some personal way.. that's what makes it "my" Kung Fu or "your" Kung Fu, even though it is the same style.. at my school i encourage personal flavor as long as the principles remain intact and the system's "signature" is evident.. much can be learned from personal interpretations..

Preserve the past, enhance the future.. and do it from the heart.. the rest will take care of itself..

Be well..

Da Yong
03-10-2004, 07:11 PM
I would like to say that this forum is the best place I have found to voice my way of looking at things but, I am learning so much I will just shut up and look foward to more responses to this post. Thanks to all of you in advance.:)

SevenStar
03-12-2004, 03:57 PM
ttt

Ironwind
03-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by TaiChiBob
Greetings..

"Change is the universal constant".... whatever your Mantis style, it was a derivitive of another style, and so it will continue.. any style that rejects change will eventually stagnate.. That is the beauty of Kung Fu, it changes to meet new challenges.. it preserves the traditions and evolves at the same time.. some systems keep losing due to the master's reluctance to pass it "all" on, successive generations of that mentallity will destroy a system.. Change should not be lightly introduced to a system, it should be scrutinized, evaluated and tested before included in the systems curriculum, but.. change is appropriate..

The introduction of "personal" style into a system is unavoidable, we ARE individuals.. we each shoot at the same target, and we each miss in some personal way.. that's what makes it "my" Kung Fu or "your" Kung Fu, even though it is the same style.. at my school i encourage personal flavor as long as the principles remain intact and the system's "signature" is evident.. much can be learned from personal interpretations..

Preserve the past, enhance the future.. and do it from the heart.. the rest will take care of itself..

Be well..

That was so touching and true can I use this as my signature :*)

Because I truly agree with everything you say.

And it was like the alley oop to 7*'s slam dunk, with the example.

2 points for the team.

Ironwind
03-18-2004, 11:42 AM
When Mantis Style was thought of the creator (who's name slips my mind) was watching the mantis fight, if I remember correctly, a bird.

You might not be fighting a bird you could be fighting a bear. (bare with me I'm talking about styles here not animals themselves). How would you apply your attack and defense technique, It may not be the same. You may have to jump on his head like a monkey to beat him or chew away at his ankles like the taco bells dog but, changing your mode of attack the way that you bring it is a modification and if it saves you from a loss then I would strongly cherish, save, and embrace it when it came time for it to be used again.

EarthDragon
03-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Iron wind, the creator 's name was Wong Long.
I understand what you are saying and it definatly depnds on the fighter and thier style in which offense and defense you choose to use.