03-08-2004, 11:01 AM
What's with this?

Make every step like a kick...

er

walk as you kick...

er

kick as you walk...

er

heard many different versions, but unless we got the Ministry for Silly Walks audition going on, if your style has this peachy little adage, you'd better account for yourselves right now sonny jim: wtf does it actually mean!?

norther practitioner
03-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Um, OK..

lets see...

example..

when I'm practicing my taiji, there are several reasons that I'll "step high." One of which, with each entry, I can add a kick. Whether it be a front thrust, a front snap, etc, that can be taken out of just about ever foward step.

Judge Pen
03-08-2004, 11:24 AM
We "step high" in our PaKua form and I was taught that each step could be a kick.

Ray Pina
03-08-2004, 11:37 AM
This is a pretty basic principle but relates to the way one views kicking.

There is the one school of though that views kicking as a long range weapon, say, something you can open with: there's distance, you're facing each other, so round house kick the guy.

There's also a view that you use your feet for mobility. So if you're using him to fight you may be asking him to join in doing the fists job and who's left doing mobilty's job?

These folks like to get in close and knee/kick you as a natural step of their advancing. If you run away it is a mete step, if you're there it's a kick.

Ba Gua has run with this theory and thus the hidden kick. You don't see the kick you get kicked with.

Of course, there are times where the long range aproach works fine, but its good to know the ups and downs of any technique.

All Kung Fu players should be familiar with the concept of step is kick, kick is step.

Shooter
03-08-2004, 11:46 AM
LOL!

yeah..that's just common sense...right? :p

Ray Pina
03-08-2004, 01:06 PM
It actually kind of is. In my personal evolution I'm trying more and more to do my own thing and not rely on reacting to the other guy.

If I can come in with a slightly raised knee, an exagerated step with the intention at the knee going out and the power coming from the hip I:

a) close my lower door

b) defend against or at least jam/neutralize kicks I could be facing while charging in

c) give the shooter something to think about as his target just dosn't stay there but aproaches him with power/intent and forward momentum

Now a simple step has earned his keep, helping me accomplish something without having to react.

Now, don't walk across the ring this way, but at that 3- to 4-feet of ground used to engage. Also, if the other tries to disengage, then the knee again, and then maybe the snap if he's really leaving range ... just to get a bit of a piece of them.

A lot of styles fjust focus on the snap (TKD). There's no way you double snap somebody with any power. One good kick fueled by the hip. That other stuff just sounds cool with baggy pants.

norther practitioner
03-08-2004, 01:26 PM
E=mc^fist
Do you use a skip ever to gain space with that, have you ever used that, and did you drop that as you gained experience?

Ray Pina
03-08-2004, 02:05 PM
I know what you mean and I still use it in conjunction with that knee but I think it's closer to a power glide than a skip.

Skip implies upward motion and airy, where as my intention is ------------> and deep and heavy. That's what I'm striving towards.

norther practitioner
03-08-2004, 02:12 PM
OK, I agree, I was working on taking some of that "air" out of it.. I like it to close the gap/or open a door so to speak. I've also messed with it diagnally to get in a little closer, but to the side a little, then fire a back leg kick, whether it be side, front, or round.

Ray Pina
03-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Same here. All kicks from the same pick up... the situation determines. But for me, never back kick just because, never side kick just because.

Side kick for me = we're in close and hands are tied and the guy runs.

scotty1
03-09-2004, 06:46 AM
We sometimes use steps as kicks, but it does leave you open for a takedown or off balance if you're not careful.

Not got that much experience of it though.

No_Know
03-09-2004, 12:23 PM
It seems to mean step with force. Also, that when walking or in multiple attackers kicking is not forced or extra. It should be as if walking--as easily as one might step, one kicks.~

SPJ
03-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Kicking practice is nessary. Low kick is more deceptive. Mid and high kick are more dangerous to excute. In othe words, never do an open kick. The opponent sees it coming. He may defeat you easily.

How many ways you may do kicks? 2 Ways. Snap and Swing kicks. Kicks usually are used with other hand moves. Kicks may be excuted in series and in combinations. Such as low right kick, low left kick, turn around mid kick, swing high on and on.

There are many and many ways to defend against kicks.
You may Gua, go low for high kicks. You punch the opponent's groin, you sweep his supporting leg, you punch or kick his supporting knee.
For midkicks, treat them like mid punches. You Gua, you Lan, and then you punch his exposed areas of the body. You hammer on his kicking knee, thighs. Never try to stop the shin of Thai boxers.

For low kicks, you move back a step. you raise your knee. You kick his kicking shin, before he reaches you, on an on

Please refer to the book " A winner's guide to life, meditation and martial arts" www.1stbooks.com for more info.

Humbly;

Gangsterfist
03-09-2004, 10:22 PM
When we train taiji my sifu always says every step is a kick. I guess this could be because of taiji principle.

scotty1
03-10-2004, 06:40 AM
"Please refer to the book " A winner's guide to life, meditation and martial arts" www.1stbooks.com for more info."

Had many sales yet?:)

SPJ
03-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Thank your very much for asking. Over the years I studied with Wushu teachers with the original learnings. I was very well trained or gruelled by them. I was encouraged to branch out. However, no matter how far I go, I always end up with original teachings (Zhen Zhung, orignal sources).
There are many people out there claiming to teach the originals. Most of them are not. With limited resources, I make a meager effort to document the original principles and practices of Chinese Wushu in my books. The books are easy to read. However, they are intended to include all fundamentals of all schools of Wushu. Each book go into depths more and more. However, you always have to go back to the first book before moving on. That is the book. My books are first in Chinese history to elucidate all wisdoms of the ancients. They are classical and orignal. That is why I called it Wu Ji principles. Yes! You may apply the principles in the book to any Wushu under the sun or yet to be born.

I placed ads in foreword magazine, Kung Fu and inside Kung Fu magazine. They may show up in the summer. I hope to raise money and form a non-profit foundation to promote research and public understanding of one of the oldest form of human arts. That is how we fight and survive. That is how we defend ourselves.

A Gong Fu supergeek with a cowboy heart! Or an oxymoron preoccupied with Gong Fu teachings. I called myself. Or a zealot of the old wisdoms. on and on

Ray Pina
03-10-2004, 08:29 AM
"We sometimes use steps as kicks, but it does leave you open for a takedown or off balance if you're not careful."

Yea, the thing is against guys who like to throw you're always in danger of being thrown. Guys who like to kick or punch ....

All we can do is traing our method the best we can, and we'll know when the moment arrives.

Best in your training
Ray

red5angel
03-10-2004, 08:49 AM
I often train even the kicks that everyone is "afraid" to use in class, sidekicks, long round kicks, back kicks. Mostly because A - I suck at kicking, but also because I don't just train for sparring but I train to fight, and I believe that those kicks are more successful "in the field" then most martial artists will admit. I've seen them stop more fights then not anyway.

Ray Pina
03-10-2004, 09:16 AM
You have a point there, but I'm training for the common denominator. Yes, I've seen videos of street fights where a high round house kick drops some drunk hill billy outside a Taco Bell. In that case it worked well.

But against the trained guy, the disciplined fighter, you may be putting yourself into harms way. My attitude is to train and fight as if they guy is bigger, faster and better. The only thing I can count on is being smarter ... thus, I don't want to expose myself or commit unnecessarily.

But there is something to be gained by fooling around with technique. Been doing alot of ground work and know everytime I try to force a choke my partner taps me out ... but still, sometimes its hard to resist when rolling around for an hour.

red5angel
03-10-2004, 09:19 AM
I agree, but that's the thing, I don't want to dismiss powerful techniques that could be used effectively on the street in a self defense situation. The faster a situation like that is resolved the better. But I train to fight fighters as well.

Gangsterfist
03-10-2004, 11:56 AM
I think the correct philosophy behind this is any step can be a kick. In taiji it can be as small as stepping on someone's foot, that is considered a kick.

No_Know
03-10-2004, 12:19 PM
"Kicking practice is nessary."

But I didn't notice you saying why, directly.

" Low kick is more deceptive."

That you are going to try to win might be obvious. If you expect or determine how your opponenent will or can attack, lacking enough comprehension you can be surprised. And you thought you completely understood what to expect. You might consider Anything other than your preconceived notions, deceptive.

" Mid and high kick are more dangerous to excute."

It might be more impressive to state why you want us to believe that. Or in what way they are more dangerous than low kicks. One could presume. But why leave it to our presumptions.

" In othe words, never do an open kick. The opponent sees it coming. He may defeat you easily. "

One who tries to deceive might also easily get defeated. Isn't practicing, a vehicle to make seeing it comming not matter or more difficult?

"How many ways you may do kicks? 2 Ways. Snap and Swing kicks."

There's only two ways you may do kicks? "Snap and Swing..."...and Push/press

"There are many and many ways to defend against kicks.
You may Gua, go low for high kicks. You punch the opponent's groin, you sweep his supporting leg, you punch or kick his supporting knee."

Sweeping the supporting leg should not necessarily be considered taking the supporting leg.~ My standing on one leg might be superior to your sweeping.

"For midkicks, treat them like mid punches. You Gua, you Lan, and then you punch his exposed areas of the body. You hammer on his kicking knee, thighs. Never try to stop the shin of Thai boxers."

Midkicks come from the knee or hip. The knee or hip are different points of origin than the shoulders of actual punches. With that, the angle of the limb originating at the hip striking the middle area of a standing Human might be different than the angle of a limb originating at a shoulder striking to the middle area of a standing Human.

Yet you say treat midkickd like mid punches?

"For low kicks, you move back a step. you raise your knee. You kick his kicking shin, before he reaches you, on an on"

If you are stepping back, then there is little to no support for you to kick with the raised knee leg, the on-comming kick. By the time you have stableized to strongly kick, the opponent might have noticed your shift and at least begun to withdraw the kicking leg. You are ****her back and kicking them might put you at overextending to chase them outside of your reach at which they could do some of what you did and step back or merely cease the retreat of their kicking leg and press it to hit your kicking leg.

SPJ
03-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Well said. Well said. (San Zai, San Zai) Bhudda bless your heart (Armitopho).

We have different mindsets. Most people turn their heads to Wushu and said it is punch and kick and hurting people. The other group said we practice forms for health and self benefit and not hurting people, They both are missing the picture. Wushu is totally about defense. You may hurt people in the end. But you always think about defense first and study defense more than anything else. I am on the side of defense all the time. That is my Wushu study focusing on.

Kicking requires more balance, more precisions, more positioning, better timing than punches, So you have to practice.

Low kicks are more difficult to detect than mid or high level kick. You have shorter time to detect, too, Thus it is more secretive.

Snap kicks are stretching the joints. Swing kicks are rotating around the joints. All the variations are from these 2 basic ways.

Punches and kicks go to the abdomen or chest. You use your arms defend the same way. You Pi (chop) a forearm or a shin coming to ward your mid zone, you also retract your abdomen/chest. You may Lan (intercept). You treat both attacks the same way.

For low kicks, you either move your front foot back to make him miss (front-back). You move when he moves. Or you raise your knee (Tih, upward) so that he miss, you then land (downward) your feet to stomp his feet or shin. Or ---

My point is when you walk and kick, You also have to practice the defesive and counter move against kicks, too, That is the main story of Chinese Wushu.

All you folks practice kick as you walk, I am practicing Gua, Tiao, Lan, move back and to the front, move up and down. I am practicing ways to defend and defeat your kicks, Come again!

San Zai. San Zai.

Wushu is not about kicking butt. It is about not to be kicked.
Wushu is not about hurting people. It is about not to be hurt.
Wushu is not about breaking boards, It is about not to be broken by boards.