PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Opponents

Indestructible
03-08-2004, 04:59 PM
I was watching a thread on another forum about this subject but it turned into a total flame war. What are your tactics for handling more than one opponent when retreat is not an option? Strategy, attitude, technique, etc....

blooming lotus
03-08-2004, 05:29 PM
depends on the severity of impending attack....I guess Id call major damage hits like dim mak combod with some throws/takedowns....get them out of play asap...

BlueTravesty
03-08-2004, 05:54 PM
I think Strategy would definitely play a part. The main advantage an attacker with allies has is in surrounding and conquering. A lot of movement, use of terrain, weapons of oppurtunity would help, as well as making sure you don't get surrounded. Also the "Longest weapon to nearest target" principle would help.

Single Tiger
03-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Frist reallize Fighting multipe attackers sucks!
Then i'd try to brake as many people as possable as soon as possable trying to keep one attacker as a human sheild to keep the distance for the others using simple grapping and braking tech. remember weapons are your friend so keep a look out for them for anything that you can use to defend yourself with. (its sticks bottle and rocks time) :)
and if all else fails bluff!.
bring down the closes enemy i dont care how?
back to the harder surface you have(walls floors ect)
and here the bluff grab the last enemy you took out
and make him scream, scream like a little girl then
make his freinds think your going to kill this guy if they
don't back off! JUST FEMEBER THIS IS JUST A BLUFF!!!
a very high risk bluff too. many things can go wrong if
your not very careful.

GLW
03-08-2004, 09:17 PM
The goal of dealing with multiple opponents should never be to win. By that I mean kicking their a$$es...

That goal almost always will end in YOU getting done to.

The goal is to get away with as little damage to yourself as possible...while inflicting the maximum damage possible to the opponents...insofar as inflicting the damage gets you closer to the goal of getting away.

Given enough time, in most multiple opponenet situations, you will either be worn down, or they will learn to work together....neither of these things is good for you...

So, strategy - divide threats...it is like riding a motorcycle - separate teh dangers so you deal with them one at a time.

Second strategy - use one opponent to block another. This leads to strategy three - deny them the opportunity to combine....

Work things into a situation where you ALWAYS have an out - a door away while they have only one way to you...and that way should be as limiting as possible.

No matter what you do, if you do not focus on escape from the situation, you will probably lose...unless the multiple people are simply totally inept.

No matter how you slice that...it sucks to be there.

Shaolinlueb
03-08-2004, 09:39 PM
my first tactic is run.

2nd tactic is to keep moving to try to only face 1 opponent at a time. that can only really go for 2/3 people. anymore. ill jsut go after one person until they have to drag me off of them then ill go for another one. :dunno:

No_Know
03-09-2004, 02:09 AM
Strike two at a time. Alternate top and lower strikes for the same opponent. Less power more contact. Hit their limbs. cling and fling. No commitment of any technique. Be afraid for your life.~

Very good.

Unmatchable
03-09-2004, 03:08 AM
basically just start throwing your arms and legs at every direction you can.

Losttrak
03-09-2004, 06:37 AM
Tell them you have AIDS and are a hemophiliac. Then bite your lip and start spitting bloodily. =D Your own version of psychological/biological warfare. lol Anyone who doesnt think twice, do the above. =D

Judge Pen
03-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by GLW
The goal of dealing with multiple opponents should never be to win. By that I mean kicking their a$$es...

That goal almost always will end in YOU getting done to.

The goal is to get away with as little damage to yourself as possible...while inflicting the maximum damage possible to the opponents...insofar as inflicting the damage gets you closer to the goal of getting away.

Given enough time, in most multiple opponenet situations, you will either be worn down, or they will learn to work together....neither of these things is good for you...

So, strategy - divide threats...it is like riding a motorcycle - separate teh dangers so you deal with them one at a time.

Second strategy - use one opponent to block another. This leads to strategy three - deny them the opportunity to combine....

Work things into a situation where you ALWAYS have an out - a door away while they have only one way to you...and that way should be as limiting as possible.

No matter what you do, if you do not focus on escape from the situation, you will probably lose...unless the multiple people are simply totally inept.

No matter how you slice that...it sucks to be there.

Great post.

The problem I have run into in training against multiple attackers is that the people in class are too nice. They don't want to hit you while you are engaged with someone else and will wait until you turn your attentioan to them. Totally unrealistic as you can't count on one person taking the lead against you in a multiple attack scenario.

Ren Blade
03-09-2004, 07:17 AM
I never had to deal with multiple opponents so I'm not gonna try to speculate. To me fighting one person can be difficult enough to fight with when they're on your skill level or better. What I hear from a friend that has took on 3 people at once is that it's luck.

Or if you have seen that clip of the Hung Gar guy taking on 3 fools that thought they're tough just because they're upset from the thread somewhere in here.
http://www.oceanskyltd.com/1vs3.mpg

dodger87
03-09-2004, 07:49 AM
Rushing forward into one side and try and break through?

Ren Blade
03-09-2004, 08:24 AM
In Musashi's Book Of Five Rings, Musashi talks of a strategy when you fight multiple opponents.

"The Water Book

There are Many Enemies

"There are many enemies" applies when you are fighting one against many. Draw both sword and companion sword assume a wide-stretched left and right attitude. The spirit is to chase the enemies around from side to side, even though they come from all four directions. Observe their attacking order, and go to meet first those who attack first. Sweep your eyes around broadly, carefully examining the attacking order, and cut left and right alternately with your swords. Waiting is bad. Always quickly re-assume your attitudes to both sides, cut the enemies down as they advance, crushing them in the direction from which they attack. Whatever you do, you must drive the enemy together, as if tying a line of fishes, and when they are seen to be piled up, cut them down strongly without giving them room to move."

red5angel
03-09-2004, 08:32 AM
the typical responses, try to get out first, if I can't get out, try to manipulate the situation so I am only actively facing one or two at a time. I have to assume that if there is more then say 3, I'm going to get my a$$ kicked.

one of my instructors, and a freind of mine was telling me a story last night where there was sort of a classic chinese stand off in his school with his instructors, his instructors teacher, and a few other students. Everyone in the room had blackbelts or their equivelants in atleast two belts, and everyone of instructor level had a few fighting titles under them. It would have been like 2 against 4 in tha fight if it would have happened. Luckily things didn't go that way.

DeathTouch
03-09-2004, 10:44 AM
I must agree with single tiger ,

do your best than its sticks and rocks time

norther practitioner
03-09-2004, 11:12 AM
I have to assume that if there is more then say 3, I'm going to get my a$$ kicked.

Especially if they are ex-pro midget wrestlers. Those guys know team work.

blooming lotus
03-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Losttrak
Tell them you have AIDS and are a hemophiliac. Then bite your lip and start spitting bloodily. =D Your own version of psychological/biological warfare. lol Anyone who doesnt think twice, do the above. =D

lao :D ...and on that note...I 'd say we have a winner ;) :p :D