PDA

View Full Version : Impact Carbs?

Viper555
03-08-2004, 08:31 PM
What does this mean? I'm starting to see the and net carbs more often now. If you are trying to lose fat should you count only the two impact carbs or the 30 carbs it says it has on the back?

IronFist
03-09-2004, 01:13 AM
What is an "impact carb?"

Viper555
03-09-2004, 05:22 AM
Wish I knew.

IronFist
03-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Keeping in mind that I've never heard of that before, I'd say it sounds like some new marketing BS.

Anthracis
03-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Impact carbs are nothing more than a marketing ploy to sell more supplements, diet type foods, etc... You should still look at the carbs as a whole category rather than just net carbs. Carbohydrates are Carbohydrates...net or otherwise. It is simply a marketing ploy.

The way it works is that if the company microbiologists feel that the carbs are coming mainly from carbs that are fibrous carbs or from an ingredient that is a trace mineral, or something of that nature, then, they subtract those carbs from the total carbs to get the net or impact carb number.

For example, if a nutrition bar has 37 grams of total carbs and 17 grams of those carbs come from a trace mineral or fibrous carbs, they then subtract 17 from 37 and say that there are 20 net or impact carbs.

I hope that this clarifies it for you guys.

Jamesbond_007
03-09-2004, 12:48 PM
I have seen on a lot of labels under carbs alcohol sugar, these are not counted as impact carbs, the rest are. I have no idea what alcohol sugar os

Anthracis
03-09-2004, 01:41 PM
They are actually sugar alcohols. They are mainly found in diabetic or sugar free type foods and candies. couple of examples include mannitol and sorbitol, but it is basically all -itols and some polyols.

There are also some claims that sugar alcohols don't have carbs, and therefore don't count; that they can be completely subtracted if listed on the label. This statement is not entirely "false" but it is misleading. Sugar alcohols do have carbs, and approx. 1/2 to 3/4 the calories of regular sugar. They are more slowly and incompletely absorbed from the small intestine than sugar, thus producing a much smaller and slower rise in blood sugar ... and consequently insulin. But this is a YMMV thing. Some Type 1 diabetics have reported that they sense an immediate "sugar rush" from eating even a small amount. Others notice no change, and absolutely no effect on ketosis.

Sugar alcohols do have carb calories, and the body will use these as fuel, or store as fat, whether or not insulin is involved. You need to look at the total CALORIES for one serving of the product. Subtract from this total the number of calories from any protein in the product (prot = 4 cal. per gm), then subtract the calories from any FAT in the product (fat = 9 cal. per gm). What's left is the calories from carbohydrate ... divide this remainder by 4 (carbs = 4 cal. per gm). If the number you get is bigger than the number of carbs declared on the label, the product has hidden carbs, and it's most likely the polyol. Calories do not just disappear into thin air!

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Viper555
03-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Glad you brought that up. I've always wondered where those hidden calories are. Is it possible that their may be hidden fat grams or protein grams or is it only carbs?

Anthracis
03-09-2004, 03:07 PM
It could be hidden anything, if it isn't carbs, look at the ingredients and you'll figure it out. what is not listed??? There you have it.

Ford Prefect
03-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Anthracics is pretty much right. They are a bs marketing tool. These sugar alchohols are nothing more than hydrogenated carbo hydrates and studies have shown that while they prolong the time it takes for a rise in blood sugar (thus a spike in insulin/fat storage) they will still cause a spike. They just metabolise more slowly.

blooming lotus
03-11-2004, 11:06 PM
It sounds rediculous..but it's true!! I do major protein, like 10-15gms over gm/kg of bf several times a day..usually 6-8 on good day..and while I'm serious about complex carbs..5-10-20 gms a day..which also sounds seriously f*ucked up..but I go high on simple carbs(sugars for those that don't know)..especially in recovery..you know dextrose(malt sugar) combined with any amount of complex carb will add density to muscles, causing a spike then an injection of complex carb action into muscles...as far as I'm concerned, for me this is optimal...but in saying that, I think if you don't load your carbs up to at least 60-80gms.... every 4ish days..you'll find yourself in trouble
;) cheers

blooming lotus
03-15-2004, 05:19 PM
just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving dodgey advice...

if you're consuming that much protein and sugary carb, it's probably a good idea to do 100ml lemon juice shots before and after...it'll help with the breakdown and should be good for another sesh in about 10-15mins.....

100 ml of red wine a day will also help...according to principals of chinese medicine, different wines have different properities and effect on different organic qi systems....I usually go for a cabinet sauvignion as general tonic and no sh/t... yuo can feel your body detoxing....don't turn yourself into a drunk, and if you start to feel crusty, take a day or half on water...

cheers BL:cool: