PDA

View Full Version : Best way for weight lost?

Bobbyfalero
08-02-2001, 09:48 PM
Hi all, I am sure you probably has seen this before, but I am in need. I have been strugleling with a weight problame for the past three and a half years. I have just recently refound Martial Arts and am active 2 days a week in Kung Fu and 1 day a week in Tai Chi. But I am unable to lose the weight. Any Ideas. Thank you all for your attention. :confused: :(

Nexus
08-02-2001, 09:59 PM
but honestly, some information is required first: how much do you weigh, what is your height, and what is your age, do you have any particular eating habits that are unhealthy (if so, what), and how much weight do you want to lose.

Answer the above and we can see what we can do.

In regards to taijiquan though, there are several people I have practiced with in the past who by normal standards would be considered overweight.
Their effectiveness in the art is determined by their devotion and time they practice it rather then physical appearance, although when it comes to flexibility, they are at a large disadvantage.

Good luck with weight management!

- Nexus

Freedom is what you do with what is done to you. - Sartres

Bobbyfalero
08-02-2001, 10:26 PM
Thanks for your quick response.
Weight 260lbs
Hight 5' 7" and 1/4
I know i do not have a regular eating habit, ex; Some days i may eat breafast other days not,
Some day i have time for lunch other days I do not
My normal weight has always been 200 - 215lbs. Between the ages 0f 15 - 20 years of age i was always involve with a sport like, Boxing, Wrestling, Pro- weight lifting, Karate and Boliball. But in every single sport i was injured. Untill my doctor incouraged me to stop. Just recently i was allowed to begin and I am in joy. But unable to lose the weight. HELP Please!!! :( :confused:

Celestial Amiboshi
08-02-2001, 10:48 PM
You said that you recently started practicing martial arts. How recently? This is important because losing weight is a gradual process. I started in February and 5 months later I am 33 pounds lighter with no change in eating habits. I'm rather amazed by my progress.

Celestial Amiboshi
- "So Close To God, There is Talk of a Holy Quadrant".

Repulsive Monkey
08-08-2001, 12:10 AM
don't don't ever miss breakfast, that is the time of day when the Stomach and Spleen need food more than any other time of day. That then goes to produce the Gu Qi which along with the Lungs Zong Qi make up the days Qi/energy levels in general. Your Mothers were never joking when as kids they insisted on giving you breakfast.

Repulsive Monkey
08-08-2001, 12:12 AM
you could try to learn the Swimming Dragon Qi Gong exercise which is supposedly designed for making your body look cool. It's meant to be a very effective way of loosing weight too so I've heard/read.

prana
08-15-2001, 03:15 AM
once upon a time, I was 62kgs. I put on some muscle mass via hyperthrophy training to 69kgs, and then went on a typical climbers diet to drop body fat down to 9% (58kgs). I started to notice veins on the stomach region.

the secret, never ever miss breakfast ! In fact, pack in as much as possible, hi fiber foods with non-simple carbos, such as cereals, fruits. A half hour training session before breakfast further accelerates your metabolism and after some time (about 2 months) your equilibrium starts to shift.

Also, a little bit of muscle mass (not that fatty type), burns fat even when you are asleep. This is great cause you wake up hungry as hell. This is done via Muscle Recruitment exercises.

Good luck ! Choose your own path, but hope this adds a little bit of hope...

Medicine Buddha
om namo bhagawate hekandzyai - guru bendurya prabha randzaya - tatagataya - arhate - samyaksam buddhaya - tayata om bhekandzyai bhekandzyai - maha bhekandzyai bhekandzyai -randza samungate soha

GLW
08-15-2001, 06:28 PM
Weightloss is a matter of several things:

What you take in
What you burn up
Your metabolism

You can affect the first two pretty easily and soem say you can affect that last one too...but that is harder.

If you start a sensible progressive workout regimen and avoid injuries, you will have the second item covered. The key on that is to avoid injury and be consistent...don't blow off the work out because you are tired

As for what you take in...
Well, drop all sodas. No Cokes, or other sugary things. Unfortunately, this also includes most juices. The amount of calories and sugars is amazing. Start reading the labels on the things you eat. It is most enlightening.

Start drinking more water...bottled or otherwise. Veryfine Juice company puts out a product called Fruit2O. It is a flavored, non-carbonated, water with ZERO calories. They have orange, strawberry, tropical, berry, raspberry, lemon, lime, and if you can find it, cherry.

Pay attention to fat and cholesterol. Try to give up red meat (chicken, turkey, buffalo, seafood - fine....pork and beef...not good for a while), give up cheese..the fat content is way high...(hurts to give up pizza),

Doing this will mean that you can drop between 1 and 2 pounds a week. That does not sound like much but a loss of that much is sustainable and you will not yo-yo in weight. You have to change how you relate to food and your lifestyle...

If not, lose it and it comes back. Once you get to the weight you want, you don't have to be so strict, but you can never go back to the days of 2 quarter ponders with cheese on a daily basis...once a week...but you have to live a different way in relation to food.

The choice is that or heart problems later.

This approach works. I hurt myself and gained about 25 pounds. I did this and dropped it all in 5 months.

Kung Lek
08-16-2001, 04:20 AM
Hi-

Eat regulary and choose your food correctly.

Take long walks every day. Keep training at what you want to train but don't miss your long walks.

peace

Kung Lek

Aramus
09-26-2001, 07:18 PM
Resistance training is the fastest way to lose weight, it burns more than aerobics (forgot the study..but other studies may say different.). Resistance training in light weight lifting will be helpful. You may want to target specific areas on your body. NOTE: Form is more important than the actual weight. Inproper form may lead to injuries or other problems.

Someone said "water!" I have to tell you that this is key. One of the people that watches my child simply drank more water and cut out all pop and such. She lost 60 lbs. just doing that. Water does a lot for you, I won't go into detail, but it helps everything*.

Eat regularly, your body has its own rhythm. If you are inconsistant in your eating habits, you can send your body on starvation alert in which your body will store more food as fat in case of a drought or food shortage. Shocking your body like that isn't always good for losing weight. Eat more meals a day with less food and you will start to lose weight as your body adjusts to this pattern. Try 4-5 meals a day.

Basic rule for eating, garbage in garbage out (and out and out). HOWEVER, you can reward yourself every once in a while with something you like. This will not kill your diet. Just be careful of how much reward you give yourself.

There are some other posts about losing weight and weight training, take a look for some more helpful advice.

Good luck, be strong.

Royal Dragon
09-29-2001, 01:08 AM
1. the body nees LOTS of matabolism, NOT a fast matabolism. Since Muscle is the greatest motabaliser the body has get as much of it as you can.

2. You NEED atleast 40 minutes of consistant non stop cardio a minimum of 4 times a week. Since it takes about 20 minutes to get into the fat burning mode to begin with, you should have a good 20 miniute warmup followed by the 40 minutes of cardio. Also, when doing the cardio push hard, but not so hard you can't talk, as this pushes you beyond the threashold you want.

3. eat lots of food in the morning, made up of fruites, and fruites and veggies for lunch (Chinese is good) and for dinner,your meats for the protine needed for building muscles wile you sleep.

This works

RD

"Chi is Chinese for Spinach"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com

CrushingFist
09-29-2001, 08:10 AM
Also, when doing the cardio push hard, but not so hard you can't talk, as this pushes you beyond the threashold you want.

are you talking about talking comfortably or about being able to utter a word? if your talking about "talking comfortably" that's rediculous, of course u can't talk comfortably, u'll never get anywhere if u don't work that hard.

if you mean "talking at all" i guess it's not that healthy but i still don't see why not?>..

Royal Dragon
09-30-2001, 06:05 AM
I don't remember the exact reason, but it has something to do with pushing into an anarobic threash hold or the like. Basically, if you can't talk, your over doing it and your body has shifted out of it's most effficent fat burning mode. If it's too easy to talk, you never got there to begin with.

Try power walking or running at a good pace an simutaniously carring on a conversation with a partner, that is where you want to be.

Strong Traditional forms practice puts you right in that zone as well, and is much more fun if you ask me.

I learned the method from Covert Baily, he is a bio chemist and has published several books called "Fit or Fat". It's the absoulute BEST explanation of what goes on in the body I have ever seen. Unfortunetly, I borowed the book from someone, and it's not in my library to referance for you now, or I'd be giving exact page numbers for you to look up.

Royal Dragon

"Chi is Chinese for Spinach"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com

davies
10-25-2001, 06:22 AM
Do excersise, before breakfast and 3 hours after your last meal, this is when you Glycogen levels are at their lowest so it is easier to hit the fat and say good bye!.

Fatburners are another key, but i wont go in to that as this thread seems ancient.

-Kane

lukrion
10-25-2001, 06:36 PM
Do it gradually. I have done the Atkins diet once. It works but I don't imagine its very good for you. Low carbs made me feel ALOT more energetc. The lack of fiber in the diet sucks.

What I would do. Like others have said. Don't Skip breakfast. Eat something but avoid greasy bacon and things like that. Limit to a serving of bagel not a huge one. Eat fruit. Lowfat yogurt.

Eat Carbs in the morning. These give you energy for the day, but why eat a big pasta meal at 7 Pm and going to bed 3 hours later. Maybe even a small serving of Wild rice at lunch with chicken breast, tuna, salmon, or turkey breast. A fresh Vegetable and salad. Don't be hungry!

At supper time, eat your smaller portions. Thats when I avoid eating carbs such as potatoes, pastas or grains, and avoid fat.

As far as red meat. If thats what you are craving. Have a small Delmonico steak instead of a McDondalds burger, but once a week. Trim any fat before cooking.

If you don't know how to cook, LEARN! Anything can taste great if its prepared right. With Chicken or red meat, marinate it in wine and herbs for a day or two. You won't complain about the taste or feel like your need a craving.

Use skim milk, avoid cheese. Keep lots of vegetables around. If you have them on hand you can use them for snacking. And fruit.

Eat snacks between meal, but make sure it is fruit fresh vegetables etc. My trick was I stocked up on Dill Pickles, tomatoes, hot pickled vegetables. Next to no calories, no fat and real low carbs!

Practice your Kung Fu and Tai Chi EVERY day. Even when you can't get to your school. Maybe walk a bit on your lunch break and if you can run.

Another trick I use, is to keep a set of dumbells in my T.V. room. Sometimes when i'm watching T.V I'll do a few sets of curls. It helps keep the metabolism up.

Good luck

aw.axis
11-01-2001, 02:14 AM
I guess the overall answer is finding a balance between excercise an diet. I am one of the heavist martial artists I know of and I like nothing better then good food and a few beers. I just try to keep things in balance as best I can. I accepted the fact I will never have a brilliant physique but I am flexible and enjoy my martial arts.

Good luck Silent Dragon, there is some good advice on this post and I hope you get the fittness and shape you want

origenx
11-02-2001, 01:53 AM
Become an astronaut and you'll lose all your weight within a few minutes of blast-off!

Funny, I always skip breakfast and I'm skinny. I think it actually helps you lose weight because you haven't eaten since the night before and your body is running on fumes. Your body is in a short fasting state. So at that point, it must start burning bodyfat. But if you eat breakfast (and break the fast) - then it will just run off your breakfast instead and won't touch your fat reserves.

At least that's my little theory...

GeneChing
09-25-2018, 09:23 AM
Chinese medicine ingredient may help reduce obesity (https://www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/health/chinese-medicine-ingredient-may-help-reduce-obesity-16862069)
HEALTH & WELLNESS / 4 SEPTEMBER 2018, 2:00PM / IANS

https://image.iol.co.za/image/1/process/620x349?source=https://inm-baobab-prod-eu-west-1.s3.amazonaws.com/public/inm/media/image/iol/2018/09/03/16862069/chinese%20meds.jpeg
A herbal ingredient used in traditional Chinese medicines may help you to reduce your body weight, a new study has found. pic: pexels.com

The scientists were able to show that the herbal active substance, celastrol -- used in Chinese medicines -- leads to a significant weight loss and an improvement of diabetes in obese mice, Xinhua news agency reported.

The findings showed the celastrol specifically activates satiety centres in the brain, which play a central role in the control of body weight.

"Normally, those affected lose their satiety because the corresponding hormone leptin no longer works. The drug celastrol we investigated restores leptin sensitivity and hence satiety," said lead author Katrin Pfuhlmann from Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen - German Research Centre for Environmental Health.

The study, published in the journal Diabetes, observed a significantly altered eating behaviour in overweight animals.

"The administration of celastrol resulted in significantly reduced food intake in the mouse model. Accordingly, we were able to determine an average loss of about 10 per cent body weight within a week," the researchers said.

To what extent the findings can also be confirmed in humans is still unclear, according to the authors. However, study leader Pfluger is confident, "The satiety hormone leptin in humans and the mouse is almost identical, so celastrol has great potential," the report said.

The clinical trials are currently under way in the US.

"The satiety hormone leptin in humans and the mouse is almost identical, so celastrol has great potential," the researcher said.

Overweight and obesity may increase the risk of many health problems, including diabetes, heart diseases and certain cancers.

While I'm here, I want to add a link to this thread: Acupuncture and Weight Loss (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?28385-Acupuncture-and-Weight-Loss)

GeneChing
04-19-2019, 07:46 AM
This is not the best way for weight loss (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?2888-Best-way-for-weight-lost).

This is the way to get busted (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?55120-Busted-TCM-practitioners).

Chinese actresses jailed for selling fake diet pills on social media (https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3006934/chinese-actresses-jailed-selling-fake-diet-pills-social-media)
Zhao Dan and Guo Jing sold the traditional Chinese medicine capsules on WeChat and used couriers to send them to buyers across the country
They were in partnership with a couple who were earlier given jail terms
Alice Yan
Published: 7:30pm, 19 Apr, 2019

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/1200x800/public/d8/images/methode/2019/04/19/804e981c-6275-11e9-b745-17e2afcf325c_image_hires_190316.jpg?itok=ovBEIsHW
Actress Zhao Dan, 33, gained fans after shedding half her weight in 2016. Photo: Weibo

Two small-time Chinese actresses employed by the same entertainment company have been jailed for manufacturing and selling fake slimming medicines, according to mainland media.
Zhao Dan and Guo Jing, both 33 and contracted by Benshan Media Group, were handed prison sentences of three years and one year respectively, Beijing Youth Daily reported.
A court in Beijing said the traditional Chinese medicine capsules they sold through social media were not registered with the drug authority and, under Chinese law, were therefore regarded as fake medicine.
They sold the drugs from March to October in 2016, in partnership with a woman surnamed Wang and her husband, identified only by his family name Gu. The couple were already in jail.
Zhao, an apprentice of popular Chinese comedian Zhao Benshan, is better known by her stage name, Plump Girl, on the mainland. She gained many fans after shedding half her weight, going from 110kg in 2014 to 55kg in 2016.
“While I was live-streaming on the Yingke app, many viewers asked me how I managed to lose weight,” Zhao told the court. “I said I took the slimming drugs. They asked me where to buy the medicine and I told them to contact Guo and Wang.”
They promoted the drugs on streaming apps and WeChat, claiming they had been developed by senior traditional Chinese medicine doctors and did not have any side effects.
The group packed and wrote instructions for the drugs themselves, though it was unclear where the capsules were sourced from. They then contacted buyers on WeChat and used couriers to send them to customers across the country.
Guo said they sold the medicines for 1,900 yuan (US$280) a set, making 400 yuan profit on each one.
Their gross revenue reached 1.1 million yuan, according to the court.
Zhao and Guo were arrested in February last year.