PDA

View Full Version : rotator cuffs-physical therapy

ketchup
03-09-2004, 08:27 PM
I have been having the pain in my rotator cuffs, both shoulders, one for about seven years and the other for around 12 years. Basically, the pain would go away and then come right back whenever I started lifting or doing martial arts much again. So, I've just started a program every morning of doing various rotator cuff exercises/strengtheners, primarily with 3 pound dumbells, plus some light weightlifting and icing of the shoulders. Should these PT exercises be done every day or every other day? Also, anyone recommend an anti-inflammatory to supplement with? I'm considering MSM, cat's claw, and some kind of fish belly extract oil I heard about. Suggestions?

Toby
03-09-2004, 10:08 PM
I take fish oil. Used to take ibuprofen. GP said it was alright to take it every day, but I didn't like the idea so I stopped after a while. Problem is, it's just masking the symptoms, not helping the cause.

SevenStar
03-09-2004, 11:58 PM
It's been lingering for a while... have you considered surgery?

SevenStar
03-09-2004, 11:59 PM
when I was rehabbing mine, I worked it every day.

ketchup
03-11-2004, 10:51 AM
thanks for your responses. I haven't considered surgery at all- i have a real aversion to the concept, at least until I've exhausted every possible alternative, which I'm not close to do having done. There are several advanced kinds of bodywork/cranio/myofacial type things I haven't delved into, plus rolfing and other things. I'm gonna see how a serious and disciplined run of these PT exercises go, with ice and anti inflammatories of some sort. Sevenstar, do you know anything about this kind of surgery- how much $, how serious it is, how effective, etc...? Do they replace the tendons/ligaments with something or how does it work?

SevenStar
03-14-2004, 06:12 AM
A friend of mine had surgery - I'll ask about it.

ketchup
03-18-2004, 07:22 PM
thanks, sevenstar. I look forward to hearing what your friend says. I've been using the computer at the library so logging on irregularly.-

gaijin
03-20-2004, 04:05 AM
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your injuries.I myself have shoulder problems and read in a sports therapy book that a combination of ginger and devils claw is a good substitute for an NSAID(non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug).
I tried this myself and found it to be more effective than ibuprofen which can lead to stomach problems.

Hope this helps