PDA

View Full Version : weights for girls who are wimps

buddah_belly
03-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Hi y'all. I have a problem. I'm a huge wuss and I need to start doing some weights. I'm not scared of getting muscled up because I know that won't really happen. The problem is I'm a huge wuss. I can't lift thirty pounds, much less big weights. Any suggestions?

fa_jing
03-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Why do you think you need to use weights? Just curious. For a lady, I recommend starting out with the Winsor Pilates videos as a supplement to your martial arts training. After a few months, Then I would get an 8-kilo kettlebell (18 lbs.) and buy the "From Russia with Tough Love" video from www.dragondoor.com.

buddah_belly
03-10-2004, 02:48 PM
For one thing, the muscle strength will help keep my joints healthy. Secondly, I don't want to be a weinie anymore. Finally, if I'm ever gonna be good at this kung fu thing, maybe I should try to get a little stronger.

ElPietro
03-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Responses like that are why women are often afraid or often intimidated to go to the gym. As a female you don't need to train any differently than males. I'm glad you realize that getting big isn't really a problem, as females have obviously low testosterone levels, and you don't just get big anyway without eating big. That's one myth that probably keeps most women in the cardio room instead of the weight room.

How long have you been training? If you are just starting out I'd just try and get your form correct, so that as you get stronger you will already have learned the techniques properly.

If you wish to get stronger you can vary the rep ranges you work in. I know lots of trainers will mindlessly assign a high rep program to females but never change it up. You can go much lower. Increase the weight and try reps of 3-6 for a few sets.

Getting strong isn't easy. Coming in week to week and doing similar weight in the same rep range won't help you get any stronger. Try to push yourself every time you go. Keep in mind that it takes a lot of hard work, and if you give it that extra effort it will definitely pay off.

So as I said, you can try to increase the weight you are using, and do less reps and this will help. Also, make sure you are eating enough as you'll require the added energy to lift intensely.

If you can, try to do some compound type movements. Presses, such as dumbell bench, or shoulder press are great, along with squats or lunges for the legs and glutes.

Rows are also great for the back, along with deadlifts or stiff legged deadlifts. You will get the most bang for your lifting buck by incorporating these into your routine.

Good luck. :)

rubthebuddha
03-10-2004, 02:51 PM
budderbelly -- fa-jing's spot on. you should also check out scrapper's workouts, particularly #1 for starting out, on www.trainforstrength.com. the only gear the basic workouts require is a pullup bar.

Toby
03-10-2004, 07:09 PM
What ElPietro said.

abobo
03-10-2004, 08:46 PM
I don't know about pilates. While I've never tried it, I also have yet to meet a serious athlete who uses it.

Learn a few compound movements, and learn good form. Working on your flexibility will also help also. If you don't have a lot of equipment, do exercises standing on your two feet. Variations of squats, overhead presses, deadlifts, and rows are possible. Curls, too.

Choose free weights and bodyweight exercises over machines when possible. Don't worry about how much you are lifting, good form means more. Once you have that down, you can really start to challenge yourself and make some strength gains.

You might want to check out http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

if you haven't already. If you have more questions, feel free to post them.

Vash
03-10-2004, 09:04 PM
I'd say go to the links posted by abobo and rubthebuddha.
Trainforstrength is just awesome. And a woman-run, woman-oriented weight training sight (with some excellent information) is not a bad thing, especially when she can front-squat with that kinda form.

With those sights, not a whole lot left to offer, advice-wise. Remember: Control your reps, don't let momentum do the lift for you. Don't cheat, I don't care what the fug Weider says. Pay attention to your body; learn the difference between being sore and being hurt from injury. Work within your limits, and push beyond them carefully.

Pilates is good stuff; it ain't all that well spoken of (by male athletes, in particular), but it is an excellent workout. Adds much needed suppleness and flexibility. Can reduce the risk of injury when used in conjuction with another training regimen.

It's a dang good thing to see a woman into weight training; glad to see that some of the crap is starting to fade from the iron-throwing facade.

Oh, a question: how often a week do you train your martial arts? Your profile listed three styles. I'd recommend not lifting the same day you do your technical stuff. If that's not an option, try lifting at the opposite end of the day from your kung fu. That did wonders for me.

Peace and good training!

buddah_belly
03-10-2004, 10:51 PM
I train in martial arts five days a week. I do aikido Mon-Thur, kenjitsu on Sat, and Kung Fu on Tue/Thur (although when I get more experience with it, learn all my stances correctly etc. I'll probably do that Mon-Thur as well).
I've already had some experience with pilates...I wanted to develop a strong core since much of aikido is involved with moving from center. I have to admit though, I haven't been as faithful with it as I should be.
As far as not being afraid of weight training, I have a good enough exercise phys/biology background to know that I'm not gonna bulk up. I just don't have the experience lifting heavy poop to really know what to do. I just know that after six months of martial arts, if I don't get stronger (especially in my experience with sword work) that I'm gonna hit a wall. To a certain extent I already have. I'm just not strong enough to generate the power I need to be successful. It's not so important with aikido since we use energy and balance instead of strength, but in kenjitsu and kf I've noticed I really suck and have nooo upper body strength.
BTW...thanks for your suggestions...I really appreciate it.