PDA

View Full Version : Kava Kava - does anyone have info...?

silfversurfer
07-21-2001, 10:49 AM
Hi,

i know this herb is not a traditional chinese one, but since it came across my path i wonder if anyone out there has any info about it. The name is Kava, or more commonly Kava Kava.´i think the samoan culture has been using it for years.

take good care

/S-surfer

Fish of Fury
07-23-2001, 04:31 PM
it's antimicrobial, mildly anaesthetic.
in small doses it's a stimulant, larger doses it's sedative.
apparently when the fijians drink it at their community-meetings-on-the-beach they basically get stoned on the stuff and wind up hardly able to move (or walk into palm trees and stuff!)

herbally it's used as a sedative (helps sleep) and also as an antimicrobial esp. for urinary tract infections.
don't think it's addictive but it may be long term.

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

silfversurfer
07-24-2001, 12:30 AM
thanx for the info, do u happen to know anything 'bout quantities - small & big doses?

Fish of Fury
07-24-2001, 05:00 AM
dose
- 1.5 to 3g per day of dry root/decoction
- 3-6ml of 1:2 liquid extract
- standardised preps. containing 100-200 mg of kava lactones per day (ie. tablets etc.)

these are considered therapeutic doses at a sedative level (ie if you spread this dose over a day it'll be relaxing, help anxiety etc., if you took this dose as a one off before bed it'll help sleep)

smaller doses as stimulant i'm not sure about
larger doses, possible side effects incl. skin rash, shortness of breath, liver damage, changes to vision etc....so i wouldn't recommend getting too carried away with it
:)

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

dunbarj01
07-24-2001, 07:52 AM
Never tried the stuff in its traditional form (only in tablets with valerian root for a nice long sleep). People that I know that have tried it say it tastes like muddy water and if you're ever in Fiji or Samoa, don't have it 24hrs before you plan to catch a plane - it probably won't happen.

dunbarj01
07-24-2001, 07:54 AM
Also used in traditional medecine for dental work. As soon as you drink the brew, your mouth goes numb. Good for toothache.

silfversurfer
07-26-2001, 08:19 AM
take care!

/S-surfer

dunbarj01
08-27-2001, 07:49 AM
This article from 26 May 2001 New Scientist:

The rhizome of the South Pacific pepper plant Piper methysticum. Historicallly taken as a narcotic drink, it's now used as a sedative. The active ingredients, kavapyrones, have been isolated and have a similar effect to tranquillisers. Can cause mood changes, blurred vision, loss of muscle co-ordination and, in large doses, hepatitis. Some harmful drug interactions. There's little doubt that kava kava works. A recent review of 7 trials concluded that it was better than a placebo and was "warranted as a treatment option for anxiety" (Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol 20, p84).

lee69
08-28-2001, 05:22 AM
dont know much about it but all the aboriganals (spelling) that live around darwin get really trashed on the stuff

sh*t happens

dooder
10-13-2001, 04:00 AM
I tried kava kava. The recipe I had said to ferment for a cople days then drink it for a mild hallucinagen and seditive. I guess it mellowed me out but it wasn't much of an hallucinagen. I tried drinking a lot too. It did make my mouth numb though, that was the best part. I still plan to brew beer with it. The alcohol might increase the effects.