PDA

View Full Version : space adds: pretty ****ed up

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-11-2004, 09:49 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/03/11/russia.space.ap/index.html

MOSCOW, Russia (AP) -- Orion, the Big Dipper and Andromeda could be joined in the heavens by ads for soft drinks and cigarettes if a Russian inventor's device catches on.

Alexander Lavrynov, a spacecraft designer, said he has patented a device for putting advertising into space that would be seen from Earth, Interfax news agency reported Wednesday.

"Space commercials could embrace huge areas and a colossal number of consumers," he said. "This would literally be intercontinental coverage."

He said the satellites would be visible in the night sky by employing sunlight reflectors, with multiple satellites linked together to create a message large enough to be seen.

"People would be able to see writing in the skies from the Earth no worse than they see the stars," he said.

txwingchun
03-11-2004, 09:56 AM
And people wonder why I'm a misanthrope. This guy needs to be ground up into little pieces.

red5angel
03-11-2004, 10:26 AM
this is one of those "flying car" ideas. Every once in a while someone sort of revisits it and stirs the pot. Fortunately it's not practical on any level for any company to take it very seriously.

norther practitioner
03-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I don't see Coke spending a million dollars to advertise in space, when no one is outside anymore anyway....

MasterKiller
03-11-2004, 11:20 AM
If Coke could make a buck off of it, they would....

You seen any Tampax cars in Colorado? I've seen several cars this year with ads splattered all over. I'm assuming someone got a price-break to rent the space, or they are company cars, or something.....

I hate corporate culture.

norther practitioner
03-11-2004, 12:29 PM
You seen any Tampax cars in Colorado?

No, must be an Oklahoma thing

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I don't see Coke spending a million dollars to advertise in space, when no one is outside anymore anyway....

i agree with master killer ... if the technology becomes available coke, pepsi, and budweiser most certainly will.

they all spend millions on superbowl advertising so whats a multibillion dollar campain that the entire globe can see even if its only for a few minutes?

i just hope those comparing it to the flying cars are right. if it does happen i hope that it's at least reserved for special times like the superbowl or something ... that might even be kind of neat. then again, it would just be laying the way for the spamming of our skys.

David Jamieson
03-11-2004, 02:12 PM
ok if everyone chips in to buy me a plane ticket to moscow i will personally fly to moscow and beat the guy to death and destroy all his notes and data on the matter.

what a crappy idea that is.

red5angel
03-11-2004, 02:16 PM
i just don't see it happening. First of all it would become an international issue, on top of that fact that you would have people in an uproar about screwing up the nice view. It's sort of like wanting to put a big billboard on Mt. Mckinnley or something.

MasterKiller
03-11-2004, 02:21 PM
It's not going to happen now. First, Bush has to launch Sky-Net, then the Terminators have to come to wipe out humanity, and then you'll see the ads. I'd say 3 years, tops.

Chang Style Novice
03-11-2004, 02:23 PM
That's grotesquely appalling. If it ever comes close to happening, I say we skin him, fill the skin with rocksalt, then sew it back on.

David Jamieson
03-11-2004, 02:47 PM
ooooh, chang Style wants to use Tibetan Golog tactics!

I like that idea!

Let's do it just for the taste of it!

Chang Style Novice
03-11-2004, 02:53 PM
What's Tibetan Golog? I was just using my imagination to come up with something horrible.

David Jamieson
03-11-2004, 03:04 PM
The golog (sometimes called golok or other variations on the name) are a people of the high plateau of tibet.

When emissaries were sent to make peace with them and to curtail their vicious raids and banditry, the emmisaries were sent back skinned then filled with rocks, sewn up then thrown over their horses.

so, pretty close to the same idea except that salt has too much value on the plateau to stuff a dead man full of it. But your idea came pretty close to their "diplomatic replies" :D

cheers

norther practitioner
03-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Dude thats freakin' crazy..

but ah, yeah, isn't all of Tibet on a high plateau.

David Jamieson
03-11-2004, 07:55 PM
well, it's up in the himalayas but it's not ALL on a high plateau. :)

and the golog are in some of the most inaccessable areas.

even today, and yes, they are hardy warrior folk so by most modern standards i guess "freaky" is an apropo term. :D

cheers

rubthebuddha
03-11-2004, 11:13 PM
i guess "freaky" is an apropo term. 'tis quite true. and rick james once sang about their queen. ;)