PDA

View Full Version : Gatorade dehydrates you?

IronFist
03-11-2004, 12:09 PM
I've heard this from a few people now. I've heard that Gatorade is the worst science with the best marketing. They say that it actually dehyrdates you, and that to make it effective you need to mix half gatorade and half water, or I also heard 1/4 gatorade with 3/4 parts water.

Anyone know about this?

dwid
03-11-2004, 12:15 PM
All I have is anecdotal evidence. It seems to work better for me if I do the 50/50 split with water. I dunno, maybe it's in my head. A med student initially suggested it to me based on the sugar content of gatorade/powerade. I gave it a shot and it seemed more refreshing that way.

Suntzu
03-11-2004, 12:24 PM
i've HEARD that the original purpose of Gatorade was to make you thirsty and get you to drink water... because the athletes at the time were just practicing and not drinking.... now why did they pass on the water yet drink the gatorade?... i don't know... the flavor i guess...

Vash
03-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Never heard that. Coach always just said, "take an hour to drink it. If you don't, you'll just **** blue or red or whatever color you pour down your face." Never had a problem getting thirty with it, though. But, I've never drank it whilst in the middle of physical exertion, always more refreshing afterwords.

ComeToJesus
03-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Next we'll find out Gatorade gives you cancer...

PHILBERT
03-11-2004, 04:58 PM
I've never heard either, and I have a magazine produced by Muscle Media that basically discusses different popular drinks (coke, red bull, milk, etc). They said that Powerade usually tastes better though. Gatorade was created by some people at the University of Florida in the late 60s to help the football team. Hence Gator Ade. ;)

blooming lotus
03-11-2004, 10:52 PM
I dont have the breakdown handy but it has a sh*t load of salts right?...that'll explain it....to keep hydrated and electrolites balanced you gotta have some sugars...and a little salt and some potassium...pls see lemon juice/ soda water/and equal....then you get the extra metabolism boost and cleansing effects of the lemon....If I'm out and bying..I'll have water thanks:D :cool: :D :p

MasterKiller
03-12-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Suntzu
i've HEARD that the original purpose of Gatorade was to make you thirsty and get you to drink water... because the athletes at the time were just practicing and not drinking.... now why did they pass on the water yet drink the gatorade?... i don't know... the flavor i guess... That's bull. The Univeristy of Florida football staff created Gatorade to re-hydrate it's players quickly. It worked so well that the NFL quickly adopted it.

You think the NFL doesn't do it's homework when it comes to athelete performance?

When I workout, I usually drink 2 quarts of water in a 1.5 hour session. If I use Gatorade, I only need 1 quart.

Suntzu
03-12-2004, 08:20 AM
The Univeristy of Florida football staff created Gatorade to re-hydrate it's players quickly. yeah... because they wasn't drinking water..... or so the story goes... which isn't a good thing in hot a$$ florida...
It worked so well that the NFL quickly adopted it. u saw that commercial too, huh....

MasterKiller
03-12-2004, 08:52 AM
[B] yeah... because they wasn't drinking water..... or so the story goes... which isn't a good thing in hot a$$ florida...That story is wrong.

u saw that commercial too, huh.... No, I watched a show about the history of it on the NFL channel.

Suntzu
03-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
That story is wrong.

No, I watched a show about the history of it on the NFL channel. marketing is great that way................

IronFist
03-12-2004, 11:19 AM
My friend's friend is a chemist and I think he said he did some experiments with it or something... I don't remember tho. I'll try to find out more.

MasterKiller
03-12-2004, 11:39 AM
marketing is great that way................ Oh yeah....the NFL always produces marketing films for products they have no financial interest in....I forgot about that. :rolleyes:

rubthebuddha
03-12-2004, 01:03 PM
right around two-thirds of america, according to recent overweight/obese counts, because i doubt most of those folks are thinking about free-range chicken and the effects of hydrogenation on oils.

MasterKiller
03-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by inic
my weird way of thinking is that people were just fine before gatorade, and therefore, it isn't need. Also, who the hell wants manmade chemicals in their bodies? People were just fine before penicillin, too. Right?

Suntzu
03-12-2004, 01:46 PM
gatorade give the NFL madd $$$..... you know sponsorship..... or is it the nfl give gatorade $$$.... who really cares..... isn't penicillin derived from a fungus or something?....

Pork Chop
03-12-2004, 02:12 PM
....sounds like the herb cures everything.....

MasterKiller
03-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Sure, penicillin comes from mold, but it doesn't turn into penicillin all by itself.

Name one chemical in Gatorade that doesn't appear in some form in nature.

MasterKiller
03-12-2004, 02:34 PM
I just read Gatorade's website. Apparently, SunTzu's story is correct. It's flavored to make you drink more, and contains salt to make you thirsty so that you keep drinking....

My bad.

However, my personal experience with Gatorade is that I drink less of it than I do water while working out.

Pork Chop
03-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Waitaminit...

I thought it was pretty well accepted that some form of glycogen/sugar was needed for the uptake/absorption of certain chemicals/minerals.

Unless things have changed and I wasn't aware, creatine was recommended to be taken with some sort of sugar to aide in the transportation process.

Creatine acts as a cell volumizer for water.

Maybe the uptake of certain electrolytes is the same?

Bottom line, I get the tummy aches if I drink straight water when I'm dehydrated, and the dehydrated feeling takes a lot longer to go away versus a sports drink. I prefer powerade, and I'm notorious for watering down any kind of -ade or juice I drink, but I'm not well stocked on haterade for gatorade... okay that was bad...

MasterKiller
03-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Yeah, the carbohydrates help you adsorb the water faster.

Suntzu
03-12-2004, 02:49 PM
since i'm getting thuroughly tooled in the other thread.... i just want to ake this opputunity to say (http://www.sherdog.net/forums/attachment.php?postid=1359388 ) ...:D

Vash
03-12-2004, 06:18 PM
I shall continue to drink Gatorade, take my multi-vitamins, down the glucosamine, chug the protein mix, until the Good Lord comes down an' says, "now that ain't too kosher." Till then, I'm hooked.

And probably for forty or so days after that, too.

IronFist
03-12-2004, 06:26 PM
I've helped 2 relatives cure their cancer and even cured one of my cavities..... of course modern doctors will tell you that is impossible :rolleyes:

Why don't you sell these cures and make tons of money?

PS. what's the cavity cure?

IronFist
03-13-2004, 12:38 AM
Who's Weston Price?

SevenStar
03-14-2004, 06:11 AM
Interesting thread.

blooming lotus
03-14-2004, 05:37 PM
[B]

Cause doctors make it known that it's impossible for food to heal. ]

ok sarcasim noted...but are you sure that it wasn't just their decision to now live healthily and diseasse free cause change in qi and better health, food contributing placebo??? I know you'll jump on that statement, so I'm just going to go ahead and say what the hel* ever...as for rehydration...if water gives you drama, try different temperatures and sugariness...add an equal sachet or a squeeze of lemon....or go a lil crazy and do both ;) :cool:

blooming lotus
03-14-2004, 06:17 PM
ok...but I think i'm a lil closer to my training goal than you are..and I have....but thanks anyway :rolleyes:

inic
03-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
ok...but I think i'm a lil closer to my training goal than you are..and I have....but thanks anyway :rolleyes:

umm, what? you lost me on that one....

MasterKiller
03-15-2004, 07:41 AM

Yeh, I know what you're going to say, that these are parts of chemicals found in food. But what people don't realize is that there are tons of items in food and they all work together to complement each other. OK. So how do we get Penecillin again? :rolleyes:

ElPietro
03-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Hasn't life expectancy steadily increased over the last couple centuries?

ElPietro
03-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Yep, but the overall standard of living is up, along with life expectancy, so you can't really argue with that.

As far as mutations and physical problems go, you could even argue that these people probably would have died at birth, or at an early age in the past, but now can lead semi-normal lives given today's medical standards.

As for # of diseases, that I don't know if you can even say for sure either. We have better science now to properly categorize things that probably have always been there. Sure some crap has evolved due to industrialization, but as people evolve so do diseases, so this is probably just a natural phenomenon than anything else.

When's the last time you saw a naturopath give a heart transplant?

Everything has it's place, so making cryptic statements like "natural is always better," simply is ignorant and incorrect.

dwid
03-16-2004, 07:21 AM
amen El Pietro

Shaolinlueb
03-18-2004, 08:42 AM
gatorade makes me feel sick if i jsut drink it when not working out. too much acid or something in it. but when i train and im dying, it helps me get more energy back quicker than water. but i usually bring a bottle of both to keep it "real".