PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar Hasayfu/CLF connection?

sing fu
03-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Just checked out Lam Kwoon's introductory video recently. The Hasayfu material is an interesting addition to their Hung Gar curriculum, and I noticed that, while the Hasayfu movement seems quite short-strike/short-fist oriented, that the material covered has a lot of overlap with CLF - for example, the weapons taught, and the animal forms. Any thoughts?

hasayfu
03-11-2004, 07:29 PM
I don't know CLF but as my user name states, I'm pretty close to Ha Say Fu Hung Gar.

It is true that HSF and CLF are southern systems of Chinese Martial Arts. Thus they will have some similarity. That said, I don't see much overlap.

The weapons forms, while having same weapons, have very different sets as I have seen. Care to expand in the similarities you see?

sing fu
03-11-2004, 07:50 PM
HSF,

Conceptually, dividing the five animals into seperate sets seems similar, although from the tiny amount of footage on the Lam Kwoon introductory tape IS little to go on. Can I ask if these are taught at different stages of the student's development?

I found the weapons in the Hasayfu Hung Gar curriculum to be quite similar - especially with the polearms, and shields etc - which aren't practiced by many lines of Hung Gar.

Does Hasayfu include any jong sets or training?

Ben Gash
03-12-2004, 12:52 AM
"Conceptually, dividing the five animals into seperate sets seems similar,"
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Um, it's pretty standard in Cantonese and Fukien systems.

hasayfu
03-12-2004, 12:54 AM
OK, I see where you are going.

There are only 5 hand sets in HSF. One for each animal and they are taught in a progression. I do not know of any CLF line that does this. That doesn't mean much though.

Ling Nam (canton) Hung Gar also emphasizes the five animals and the characteristics (faht) for both are very similar though externally they look different.

The only weapon that is said to come through WFH is the 8 trigrams long pole. All others are borrowed. HSF weapons I have no idea where they came from but all share a very close relationship to the hand sets.

There is no formal Jong training in the HSF system.

illusionfist
03-12-2004, 06:21 AM
Ha Say Fu Hung Kuen and CLF are nothing alike. The power generation that is used in Ha Say Fu is very different from CLF. Just take each arts use of gwa, sow, and charp and you'll see the difference.

Peace :D

sing fu
03-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding gents :)

Hasayfu, I remember reading somewhere that Lam-sifu decided to not present the darn do from Hung Gar, since students already had several good sets to practice from the Bak Siulum syllabus. Lam-sifu shows highlights of both the Canton and Hasayfu curriculum in the Lam Kwoon video, but can I ask whether those five hand sets were the full extent of the unarmed set training he received from his master in Hasayfu Hung Gar, and the same for the weapons?

I liked Lam-sifu's performance and really would like to know a little more about the arts presented on that video, if it's not too intrusive that is.

hasayfu
03-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Sing Fu, You probably heard that Darn do story from me LOL!

Actually, he doesn't teach the Hung Gar Darn do set because it is very similar to the BSL one and the BSL one is longer and carries more of the flavor of the darn do.

He has also adapted the Kwan Lun sword and Moi Fa Spear to have more of the flavor of the northern weapons. Sequence wise, it is very similar to the sets from Lam Sai Wing branches but or character is different. No right or wrong as long as you know why you do what you do.

The five hand sets is the extent of the un armed solo sets in the HSF system plus the one sparring set.

Hope that answers your question.