PDA

View Full Version : How long does a black eye take to go away?

IronFist
03-12-2004, 12:48 AM
Yeah so tonight we're doing some "light contact" sparring with everything except knees and elbows. Well I guess my definition of light "contact" was different from my opponent's. We were wearing regular MMA gloves.

Anyway, I don't really remember what happened, which sucks, and I wish someone had video taped it, because I'd like to see what I did wrong. He came in with a flurry of punches I think, but since I suck at blocking I took a cross to the left eye. The pain pis.sed me off so I tackled him. It was really a no-technique takedown... just a straight up tackle. I ended up in his guard, keeping my head down on his stomach to avoid getting punched more, and he's punching me in the back of the head and it's starting to get ANNOYING. I passed his guard and ended up in side mount, where I got a shoulder lock or key lock or whatever that thing is called. He tapped. I won. Then I ran to the freezer to get some ice.

The funny part?

He is 15! Haha, I got a black eye from a 15 year old kid. wtf?

Anyway, maybe I'm just a wuss, but to me, "light contact" means "not hard enough to give someone a black eye."

Oh well. I told him I'd rather have a black eye than a broken shoulder

And at least I didn't punched in the nose this time.

But seriously, how long does it take to go away? I've been icing it, but it's like the size of a golf ball.

It's funny, cuz he's the only person in the class with less experience than me, and he's the only person I can tap out, not to mention the fact that I have like 30lbs on him. If he were any good, my pain-induced tackle wouldn't have worked.

I'll try to post pics of my eye tomorrow.

Toby
03-12-2004, 01:06 AM
So funny ... :D.

Nice story, Iron. Sorry I've got no answers, but thanks for the laugh!

IronFist
03-12-2004, 01:12 AM
I 4m teh \/\/|_|55

Hey, while I'm at it, what is your guys' definition of "light contact?"

Repulsive Monkey
03-12-2004, 03:45 AM
Depends of strength of Spleen qi really.

Mr Punch
03-12-2004, 06:05 AM

:rolleyes:

Mr Punch
03-12-2004, 06:15 AM
Or it might depend on:

the extent of the damage,

diet and metabolism,

rest,

spleen functionality (...!)

etc.

Sounds like a biggie! In the past, that kind has taken me a week to get down to a normal shiner, and then another week to get down to a shadow, but that's me... Then you'll be back too scaring away the girlies in a regular fashion! :D

David Jamieson
03-12-2004, 06:15 AM
2-3 weeks barring any other medical maladies you may have.

typically a black eye will last as long as a deep bruise.

cheers

Ray Pina
03-12-2004, 08:06 AM
In three days the swelling will be down and the "black" will start to fade. In 5 to 7 days you'll look more cool -- with a light bruise -- that "beat up."

Light sparring = no KO power punching.

Shaolinlueb
03-12-2004, 09:22 AM
we did light contact sparring yesterday. and i took on the tow students since i was an isntructor. the old guy i beat because of the sparring rules but in a real fight he would have taken me. but i kept on kicking wiht the foot i have shin splints on and they kept on blocking it hard with their legs. so i killed my right shin. then i took on this whicked fast kid. he was good with kicks so i had to get in close, but he nailed me through my face mask (confused on how that ahppened) and gave me a good pop in my right eye. all in all he took me by 2 points.

Liokault
03-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
but he nailed me through my face mask (confused on how that ahppened)

Odd when this happens! I have given black eyes through full face mesh guards with big gloves on.

Its like just head impact can give a black eye.

IronFist
03-12-2004, 11:03 AM
^ Man you guys I wish we had face masks :D

See, to me, "light contact" means "just enough to know you've been hit." In other words, not hard enough to give black eyes.

Good thing I'm not in sales.

Oh well.

I've also never really been hit much (I never got in fights growing up) so I'm glad to know I can take a punch from a 15 year old and keep going :D :rolleyes:

Liokault
03-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
^ Man you guys I wish we had face masks :D

Good thing I'm not in sales.

I think it looks much worse when you take all the skin off your knuckles.

IronFist
03-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Liokault

I think it looks much worse when you take all the skin off your knuckles.

Um, you wear gloves with face masks.

Meat Shake
03-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Be glad it wasnt your spleen.

Unmatchable
03-12-2004, 05:19 PM
lol at you going to work/school with a black eye.

inic
03-12-2004, 05:36 PM
cough wuss cough:D

IronFist
03-13-2004, 12:42 AM
sniff yeah sniff:p

Liokault
03-13-2004, 03:47 AM

Um, you wear gloves with face masks.

No, I mean when you hit pads (I say "you" but I do not know if you do) hit pads and skin your knuckles.

IronFist
03-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Liokault

No, I mean when you hit pads (I say "you" but I do not know if you do) hit pads and skin your knuckles.

I thought we were talking about face shields.

Anyway, by "pads" do you mean like focus mitts? I don't usually skin my knuckles, but maybe your pads are made of a different material. But sometimes I'll wear bag gloves or something. I learned to wear bag gloves on a heavy bag, tho, to keep my knuckles from getting skinned.

Liokault
03-13-2004, 12:54 PM

I thought we were talking about face shields.

Anyway, by "pads" do you mean like focus mitts? I don't usually skin my knuckles, but maybe your pads are made of a different material. But sometimes I'll wear bag gloves or something. I learned to wear bag gloves on a heavy bag, tho, to keep my knuckles from getting skinned.

We tend to do lots of straight punches onto focus mits. If I have not done it in a while (like when I start training again) or more likely if a new guy is holding the pad wrong, tilted down so you scrape, they they can bleed a bit.

Looks crap for about a week.