PDA

View Full Version : yi quan guard vs xingyi guard

Unmatchable
03-13-2004, 01:32 AM
taken from:
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10457&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Xango wrote:

What I do know is that traditional Xingyi uses a guard, San Ti, that is very centerline-protected and vulnerable to hooking, headbooting, and whatnot. Our system uses the I-chaun guard, which is roughly similar to a boxing guard, but with the weight ~ 70% on the back foot (cat stance) and no bouncing around on the toes.

Yes, we tuck in the chin.

than he wrote:

Well, I've never studied anyone else's style of Xingyi, and I didn't mean to imply that san ti doesn't tuck the chin, since I know that it does.

San ti, at least as illustrated by Sun Lu-Tang, has one hand forward and another hand in a low guard, exactly where you would end up after Pak Choi. Our guard stance has both hands up around the shoulders, with one slightly ahead of the other, and the body diagonal so that the lead hand and the lead foot match. It's just a less extended stance, and we give up some centerline protection (of the kind found in San Ti and the Wing Chun guard) for better head and rib protection. Sadly I have no illustration of this.

If I ever make it to Singapore, I would love to spend an afternoon training with you, and learning how your Xingyi differs from ours!

Any input on this? Yiquan stance/guard more effective because of boxing influence?

Joseph_alb
03-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Typical. Guy A sees Guy B doing a form. Guy A thinks Guy B fights exactly as he does the form. Its called lack of forward thinking (i just made that up but it makes sense).

doug maverick
03-14-2004, 11:54 AM
first off! when in a fight you only assume the lower half of the santi (if you want) your hands can be anywhere, xing yi is ment to be applied from any stance, you just have to know the mutations. any idiot who points out vulnerabillities in a chi/nei gung posture meant to build strength doesn't know much about I-chuan or xing yi

Thundermudd
03-15-2004, 05:49 AM
The stance is a stance and is meant for training. When fighting I have been taught that you do not just stand there and remain in a fixed stance, this makes you an excellent target. You need to be mobile if you don't want to get crushed.
You would use the same loading qualities that are prevalent withing the Santi, but you do it while you are moving.

Ray Pina
03-15-2004, 07:18 AM
Rediculous statement. Hsing-I handles the hook very affectively. In fact, we take the center hoping the other hooks out; raise the elbow to block and keep going in.

doug maverick
03-15-2004, 08:36 AM
Evolution whats popping man!

this guy whoever he is really doesn't know to much about our style or else he would've never mention it. my brother has won the golden gloves in six different states. and he is in training for our olympic team. i spar with him all the time and i always win, he has even started to practice santi before he goes into his boxing stuff. since xing yi (in my opinion) can be applied like boxing, with all defferent kinds of combo's it works for him. so don't be surprised if the next gold medle winner says he knows some xing yi.

GroungJing
03-15-2004, 08:42 AM
In my day I practiced Xingyi...this post is sop****ric

Joseph_alb hint the nail on the head

"Guy A sees Guy B doing a form. Guy A thinks Guy B fights exactly as he does the form. Its called lack of forward thinking "

From what I remember San-ti Shi is a great ambiguous stance design not to give any tells (info) away against your opponent. Both hands can move up or down and the chin is tucked guarded by the shoulder with the toes of lead foot slightly curled in to protect the groin and knee. If anything the stance can stymie some wrestlers due to the position that the lower arm radiates from.

doug maverick
03-15-2004, 08:45 AM
i just tried to pm you but your box was full so i'll just put the post here for you:
whats up man! i've been plugging this thing for a while i'm doing a martial arts play called white eyebrow and the destruction of shaolin you can check out the site: URL:http://www.whiteeyebrowplay.com , i see you live in the state why don't you come check it out. it's this thursday the 18, through sunday the 21st. also if you check out the site go to the media section the guy doing the missed up halberd(sory i didn't have that much time to prepare but the finished product is way better) is me. okay man hope to see you there.

"The finite shall never grasp the infinite."-Carl Jung

GroungJing
03-15-2004, 09:16 AM
Dang nab it!

Suffer’in fraz’in frick frass!

I knew I smelled a “Power Boaster!

I forgot who this guy was!~!!!!!!!!!!!

This troll has an MO people

This is a set up

First he starts off asking silly and stupid questions or post silly assumptions about the art, usually cut and pasted from another web site

(The guy can’t form an original thought)

When you respond to the post he spins or inserts into the mix that old rehashed argument of “mix martial arts is superior to anything that you do crap” in to the mix. He has a real beef with internal arts…. what they did to him one can only guess?

I guess now he’s got his crosshairs set on the Xingyimen of this forum. This guy probably is out combing the Internet looking for articles/post from every Jujitsu/wrestling/grappling news group that denounces Xingyiquan or Yiquan etc
Look for him to spring it.

It’s his MO
Get ready!!!!

Ray Pina
03-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the invite. Very cool. I actually wrote a martial fantasy book involving Bak Mei but had a hard time selling it to agents and what not and am now editing a memoir. I haven't given up on it, but now isn't the time for it I guess. Maybe once I get an "in".

Anyway, I'm game. I'll probbaly head in on Sat. afternoon or maybe Thursday night.

How will I know it's you to say "hi"?

Unmatchable
03-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Thundermudd
The stance is a stance and is meant for training. When fighting I have been taught that you do not just stand there and remain in a fixed stance, this makes you an excellent target. You need to be mobile if you don't want to get crushed.
You would use the same loading qualities that are prevalent withing the Santi, but you do it while you are moving.

Tadzio would disagree with you. Just read his anti grappling article he says u remain standing still until the grabbler shoots in on you than you react before he does:

http://www.xingyiquan.org/articles/anti-grappling1.html

Ray Pina
03-15-2004, 01:51 PM
If you're scared someone's going to shoot you, you don't wait till he pulls the gun from the hulster .... same with kicking, punching and grappling.

doug maverick
03-18-2004, 10:55 AM
My real name is douglas ferguson i'm the fight captian and my name is in the program. i'll be the dark skin black doing the spear set, a very very short gong ji kuen(hung gar), and a halberd set. now how would i know it's you man i would like to talk to you after the show, i am i writer and i see your a writer as well. i would like to talk to you man about xing yi and writing. my sifu just moved to california(he;s an egineer and he got a great job making alot of money out there) and i need somebody to work my xing yi with. plus my teacher gave me permission to teach wang ji wu's 16 health excerises(my sifu studied with wang ji wu and wang shu chin but my sifu doesn't teach for a living he just tought me and a few marines as a favor to my late father) any way see you on sat. man

Ray Pina
03-18-2004, 11:30 AM
How's the play going so far? I'm going to try my best to make it out there tomorrow. I'm traveling for work on Sun. and will be gone till Thurs. and am preparing for a fight so time is kind of tight ... add in a girlfriend.

But I'm thinking of coming and then going to Decible, this cool little saki house on the lower East Side.

We got to get together and will. Hope you're having fun.

Ray Pina

doug maverick
03-18-2004, 11:45 AM
cool, we did our dress rehersal yesterday the show opens tonight, it's gonna be amazing, i'm kinda nervous. cause i helped designed most of the fight i hope you enjoy them and my sets, i'll bring some samples of my writing for you to critique if you want. i'm only nineteent and i got a long way to go in this writing world.thanks any help would be appreciated