PDA

View Full Version : Now they've gone too far!

Chang Style Novice
03-14-2004, 10:26 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/14/movies/14LEVI.html

If you don't want to register for the Times, use the name "kfmagazine" and password "qigong"

It's one thing to make videogames about goofy kidstuff movies. A Seven Samurai videogame is borderline blasphemy.

FatherDog
03-14-2004, 02:25 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/fightclub/news_6085752.html

Mr Punch
03-14-2004, 06:29 PM
:D It's only a game!

Can't see anyone mistaking it for the original, or even most afficianados of the movie being all that interested geek nonsense. And I don't see a piece of **** like that detracting from the movie.

Although, it is a little disappointing: if they'd wanted to keep more to the flavour of the original, they could have made the game more like Onimusha (II - I haven't played the first or the new one) which had some poetic video segments, some excellent cinematography, and some beautiful choreography, with some haunting music, and slow bits with interaction in the village and whatever and plenty of action when you take Jubei into the woods or the castle. The interaction was good too. If you cocked up the order you couldn't progress, you could give the things you found to other characters, and if they liked them they would help you, and if they didn't they wouldn't... and there were some sections where you could play those recruited characters, with their different skills. It is a good, thinking game with plenty of playable action... or was it a good, playable action game with plenty of thinking...?!

Anyway, that kind of format would have been lyrically renderable to a game version of Seven Samurai which may have added something to the gaming genre, and not detracted from the film at all.

Wanna see number III which has Jean Reno in too... but I wonder if they have managed to keep the magical medieval Japanese charm of the second one, or whether it's just turned into slice and dice.

As for Fight Club: can't see that adding anything at all to the beat-em-up genre.

SanSoo Student
03-15-2004, 12:25 AM
You know they are running out of ideas when they have to turn to movies for inspiration...why can't they make games like they use to.

Shaolinlueb
03-15-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by SanSoo Student
You know they are running out of ideas when they have to turn to movies for inspiration...why can't they make games like they use to.

werd. river city ransom, final fight, darius twins, contra, castlevania, mario brothers 3. :( all the good ones gone to crap.

Gangsterfist
03-15-2004, 07:43 AM
Thats weird because I read an article a month or so ago about this game and the developers stated it has nothing to do with kurosawa. I read it in an issue of game informer. I think its a time travel game where seven different samurai and transported into a future alternate universe type thing?

Anyways, I can't wait for THIS (http://jade.bioware.com/) game to come out. It looks so awesome and uses the KOTR engine.

MasterKiller
03-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Technically, it's only inspired by the movie and won't really resemble Kurosawa's work at all. I mean, how many people watch Star Wars and actually see The Hidden Fortress in there?

Chang Style Novice
03-15-2004, 08:25 AM
MK -

That's exactly my beef. All they're doing is whoring the names "Seven Samurai" and "Kurosawa" to sell another random sh!tty videogame. Since it doesn't bear any resemblance to the real thing, why use the name? If Kurosawa was getting paid off this travesty so he could make more movies I might see an upside to it, but the man's been dead for years, so it's just another way for someone with no connection to the artistry of the original to get paid off someone else's work and reputation.

In a word, contemptible. In another word, disgusting. For a third word, disrespectful. #4 might be vulgar. I could continue, but I think you get the idea.

I'm not real thrilled about the Fight Club videogame either, but at least there's a good chance Chuck Puhwhatsisname and David Fincher will get some ends from it.

PHILBERT
03-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Are there any pictures online of the game?

MasterKiller
03-15-2004, 09:15 AM
I think it's still in the development phase....

Chang Style Novice
03-15-2004, 09:24 AM
www.sevensamurai20xx.com

God, it looks stupid.

Gangsterfist
03-15-2004, 09:34 AM
You guys seen Jade Empire? It looks awesome and from the new screen shot I saw it looks like one of the characters is doing a single whip movement from the Yang Taiji form.

They are using actual kung fu styles in the game. They are taking basics from actual existing styles and making them a bit more flashy and a bit more videogamish. So far I am pretty impressed on how this game looks.

Kristoffer
03-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Gangsta, that game looks pretty **** good. I could almost buy an x-box just to play this..

sweet (http://downloads.bioware.com/jadeempire/movies/JadeEmpire_BioWare_OfficialPremiereTrailer_new_hi. mov)

MasterKiller
03-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
www.sevensamurai20xx.com

God, it looks stupid. It does look awfully cheese.

PHILBERT
03-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Well, on that New York Times site or whatever, it said March 23rd was the release date, so I was wondering if anything was availble to look at.

Kristoffer
03-15-2004, 11:14 AM
meh
til they do shenmue 3, I remain grumpy

Chang Style Novice
03-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Until they remove the "Seven Samurai" name from this steaming pile, I remain grumpy.

What's next? A first person shooter based on "Les Enfants Du Paradis"?

MasterKiller
03-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Until they remove the "Seven Samurai" name from this steaming pile, I remain grumpy.

What's next? A first person shooter based on "Les Enfants Du Paradis"? Apparently you never played City of Lost Children. :p

Chang Style Novice
03-15-2004, 11:32 AM
I thought the combos and bloodletting in "Amelie: 20XX" were more realistic.:mad: :rolleyes:

MasterKiller
03-15-2004, 11:34 AM
I thought the combos and bloodletting in "Amelie: 20XX" was more realistic.:mad: :rolleyes: The Cyber Gnome was tough to beat.

Chang Style Novice
03-15-2004, 11:45 AM
The love-sick tobaccanist level was entirely too difficult. I had to consult a walkthrough.

FatherDog
03-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Also, if you look at the screenshots in the fight club article, at one point one of the characters is clearly wearing shoes.

C'mon, man! Third rule!

Chang Style Novice
03-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Say, why did they let Meat Loaf fight with a shirt on anyway?

norther practitioner
03-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Say, why did they let Meat Loaf fight with a shirt on anyway?

'Cause it would have been just wrong if they didn't.