PDA

View Full Version : Pull up bars in doorways

PHILBERT
03-15-2004, 08:40 AM
Has anyone seen those bars that you can hook up to a door frame and do pull ups on? Anyone use them? I wanted to buy one to put in my room, but I'm afraid that if I did, it would either rip the wood off the door, chip it or scratch the paint, and I know that the people I live with would get ****ed if such a thing were to happen.

MasterKiller
03-15-2004, 08:46 AM
I have one. It works great, and you can take it down. The mounts are really secure, but you have to drill into the door frame.

Ford Prefect
03-15-2004, 09:54 AM
I have one that has screw-mounted brackets and then the bar screws into there. I was afraid to weighted stuff until this weekend, when I was trying to pull-ups with my fiancee hanging off my waist. My normal max is 135 lbs but she weighs a shade under 115, and I couldn't do a full rep. So much for saving her if we fall off a cliff... ;)

jacob360
03-16-2004, 02:11 PM
I use the type that screws into the doorway too.

There's also something called the Door Gym. It hooks over the top of the doorway and uses your weight to hold it in place. I think one of the main points to them is that they wont damage the doorway. Its padded where it makes contact. Do a search for it, you'll see what I'm talking about. It only works for normal doorways though. I live in an old Victorian house converted into apartments, and the trim around the doors is too big to use one.

PEACE

abobo
03-17-2004, 04:23 PM
I have a wardrobe instead of a closet. When I want to do pullups at home, I open up the wardrobe and do pullups holding on to the top. I don't know if I would do them weighted from there.

At one time I had a shelf built into the wall that jutted out. That was sturdier but would put a lot of pressure on the finger joints.

blooming lotus
03-17-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
I have one that has screw-mounted brackets and then the bar screws into there. I was afraid to weighted stuff until this weekend, when I was trying to pull-ups with my fiancee hanging off my waist. My normal max is 135 lbs but she weighs a shade under 115, and I couldn't do a full rep. So much for saving her if we fall off a cliff... ;)

RFLAO!!!......ThAT is the single most funniest thing I've heard all day! :p :D

Sounds good though...the bar I mean...who here isn't always looking for a good bar to hang off??? Does anyone have a link for an online deliverer??/ Hey gene...maybe martia; artsmart should look into that;) :p :D :)

wall
03-18-2004, 02:49 AM
I have one that simply "screws" out and jams itself in the doorway. Put it up in 1 min, train, take it off, no damage done (has rubber at the ends so better hold on the doorway and no scratches etc).

Paid $30 a few years ago, use it twice weekly since new, never had a problem.

I weight 175 (80kg) and the first 3 sets I have 55 (25kg) hanging off my belt, so 230 x 10 reps x 3 sets and never any problems with it moving or bending / twisting.

W