PDA

View Full Version : Continuing on

Ryu
10-01-2001, 08:14 PM
Last wedsday was probably my last night in judo for a while. Don't go crazy! I'm not quitting judo or martial arts, etc. I want to take some time off because I want to now start adding and training judo as a part of my JKD, and begin training some effective self-defense strategies which includes some judo takedowns, mount, knee on stomach, punches, headbutts, stomps, etc.
You already know all that...

Also, the drive to judo and the expenses are getting harder to pull off with the amount of school work I am trying to get through, and since there is no charge or distance of training solo, and with some friends, I'm going to go back to my solo training again. I was able to beat the guy who beat me up last time, though in judo :D
I needed to do that before I called a time out.
Please do not tell me I'm making a mistake, etc.
haha This is something I've decided to do for a while, and I will still find effective and realistic ways to train, don't worry.
Honestly, I am more of a solo person even though I am seen as very social. I know that the only way to get good at martial art is to fight with people trying to beat you up from different styles, so I train hard, and then spend years testing myself with different groups of people anyway. When I'm satisfied I tend to move on.
That's just my way.
But I am NOT saying I'm quitting judo. I will return and probably get my black belt soon, but for right now I'm going to take my martial arts in a different direction just for a bit.

See you all later.
(oh and I'll of course still be posting)

Ryu

http://www.jkdu.co.za/pics/logos/jkduhpma1.gif

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Nexus
10-01-2001, 08:22 PM
Ryu, I totally know where you are coming from. This is why the great sages always said that for one to follow his path, he should be very careful of commitimg himself to academic ways. Academic ways force one to work for achievment and to fulfill desire and expectations of others, and in that you lose essence. But we here like to think that is only temporary, but if you let the habits impressed in academia instill upon you then it is a possibility that will stay with you your entire life. Be very careful there my friend, and good luck in the completion of your academics (university I presume?) and the continuation of the martial arts!

Your pal,

- Nexus

Ryu
10-01-2001, 08:34 PM
Thanks Nexus,
Yeah University. :)

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

shaolinboxer
10-01-2001, 09:29 PM
As soon as you removed the judo legends sig and put up the JKD symbol, you heart had shifted.

Good luck and enjoy!

:)

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

Water Dragon
10-01-2001, 09:45 PM
Start a study group at school. Not only do you get to work on what you want, you also have a lot of bodies to try it out on and get some teaching experience to boot.

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

rogue
10-02-2001, 03:56 AM
Wow, Ryu quit Judo!!! :eek: Did you find it just wasn't effective?

http://www.interesting.com/stories/gadsden/images/museumshop.jpg

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban soon to be getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” [I]Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his open mobile line right before rushing hijackers.

SevenStar
10-02-2001, 04:24 AM
Good luck with training man.

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

jimmy23
10-02-2001, 04:38 AM
Its important to spend time training and experimenting without guidance. THis is one of the best ways to grow and develop as a martiala rtist. Try to find some guys you can practiice a bit with.

Good luck, and let us know how you do. It takes a good deal of courage to trust oneself enough to do this.

"You guys have obviously never done any real fighting if you are mocking spitting"
Spinning Backfist

Ryu
10-02-2001, 06:49 AM
Rogue,
I haven't "quit" judo. :)
I think judo is extremely effective. I'm just focusing on some different things right now MA wise.

Ryu

rogue
10-02-2001, 04:43 PM
But why turn your back to Judo Ryu? Did you have a bad experience on the street?

Just yanking your chain Ryu! :D

http://www.interesting.com/stories/gadsden/images/museumshop.jpg

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban soon to be getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his mobile line right before rushing a hijacker.

qeySuS
10-02-2001, 05:01 PM
Heh you sound like me (socially). I have lots of friends and dont get me wrong i love being around them, but i'm still a loner (that's why i got into MA because i dont like teamsports).

Free thinkers are dangerous!