PDA

View Full Version : 12th UC Berkeley Tournament

Ravenshaw
03-15-2004, 07:50 PM
For those who don't know, the University of California Berkeley holds an annual Chinese Martial Arts tournament. (http://www.calwushu.com/) It's largely a contemporary tournament but there is also a strong traditional presence. Anybody on the U.S. West Coast is encouraged to check it out (it's near San Francisco).

I know that Gene is normally there and unless I'm mistaken Northern Shaolin is a judge (or else I'm on crack).

Who's going? I what events will you compete?

I'm going to be in Intermediate Northern Traditional Hand Form (I'm doing BSL's Sil Lum #5) and Traditional Other Weapon (BSL's Kwan Do). I competed the last two years as well (in 2002 I was the only adult student from Wing Lam Kung Fu competing... I was a beginner then...).

Who else?

norther practitioner
03-15-2004, 11:38 PM
How long have you been studying?

I don't see myself affording a flight up there... after entry fees and hotel, it would be too much $. I want to work it in next year though, I've wanted to go to the berkley tournie for the last few years. You should try to make it to taiji legacy this summer, it's got some great traditional players.

cerebus
03-16-2004, 01:13 AM
Hmmm. Any full-contact fighting divisions? My Hsing-I forms aren't really flashy or for competition and I would rather fight with contact rather than just point sparring. Lemme know the deal. Thanks! :D

GeneChing
03-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Sorry, no fights at Berkeley. Just push hands. That part is a bit of a let down as tournaments go. There's some growing traditional events there, but really where it shines, being collegiate based, is the modern wushu divisions. Since Tat Mau Wong and Lily Lau have not done a CMA tournament in the SF area in a while, Berkeley has risen to be one of our larger events. There are two more up-and-coming events through Chinese athletic associations, but that's about it 'round these parts now, sad to say.

I'm scheduled to be at Berkeley. But if it's a nice day, I'll probably spend more time on Telegraph than in the gym...

Ravenshaw
03-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
How long have you been studying?

I started in 2000. The cutoff for Advanced division is 4 years, so I'm kind of able to swing in either direction. I medalled twice in Intermediate last year but I feel that I can do better.

Beginner < 2 years
2 < Intermediate > 4
Advanced > 4

Shaolinlueb
03-17-2004, 08:23 PM
did it pass already? it said something about feb 21 2004.

Shaolinlueb
03-17-2004, 08:25 PM
agh that was a different one. april 10th. doh i have a demo on the 9th.