PDA

View Full Version : Honor, Control, Discipline...

TaiChiBob
03-16-2004, 06:10 AM
Greetings...

First and foremost, we are martial artists.. we are trained to control our emotions and physical bodies... Why do you suppose that we let the words of others incite behavior that is not characteristic of discipline, control or honor.. Do you suppose that it is honorable to use profanity or insults to make another person feel less about themselves? These Forums are viewed by the public as how martial artists behave, as how martial artists contribute to society.. too often we fail to exhibit the control, honor and discipline we are so eager to advertise as attributes of the Art..

In this great age of technology, we are fortunate to be able to interact with martial artists from all over the planet.. to be able to share insights, training tips, secrets, and "goodwill".. do you suppose that human nature is inclined to discard this opportunity and resort to emotional attacks on each other to satisfy some primal instinct.. has our training led us nowhere.. The challenge is to receive the angry energy and deflect it with control, to use skills of intellect and communication to difuse angry words.. to learn, not destroy.. destruction is our LAST option (or should be)..

Be well..

Ray Pina
03-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Well said.

Vash
03-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by TaiChiBob
Honor, Control, Discipline...

Are just figmants of your imagination.

Ray Pina
03-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Funny you say that Vash. I was just reading The Tao Speaks, the section on letting go on notions of honor and what not.

So yes, you are correct. On the other hand, its terrible that we come off like a bunch of panty wearing wussies with the back and forth.... "Bruce Lee is the best." ect., ect. When we all know that Neo would choke him out.

When it comes to discipline and control, I think you need to have them before you can let them go.

TaiChiBob
03-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Greetings..

Honor, Control, discipline...
Are just figmants of your imagination.

Essentially, everything is conceptual.. images manifested in the mind through sensory input and mental manipulation.. That which defines "who we are" is the choices we make from this data and from these images.. the question remains, what choices do we value? As for myself, i value honor, control and discipline.. and, if the situation leaves no room for alternatives, i also value the skills and training to defend myself or others against violence.. i do not value antagonistic or aggressive behavior, i do not value violence except as a last resort, and even then it should be balanced with compassion for the person defeated..

"Know the Yang, but keep to the Yin"... or, "better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardener in the war".. i would rather tend my garden than defend it, but i must be able to do both.. Balance..

Be well...

TaiChiBob
03-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Greetings..

Exactly.. in order to let something go, you must first "have it".. if it has value, then it becomes part of you and the "notion" is excess baggage..

I remain unconcerned with "who's best", or who could choke who.. i am very concerned with my own ability to survive, and the survival of others.. i am very concerned that the arts which we learn and teach be used to benefit people, not to needlessly harm them or subjugate them to our own agendas..

phantom
03-16-2004, 09:11 AM
I have never understood why someone would want to fight somebody just because they insulted them on a message board. Martial arts are supposed to be for self defense. If you let a little thing like an insult from a stranger on the internet get under your skin so bad, then how are you going to handle a major crisis in your life? However, I have heard that some people are actually very good people in real life, but they just cannot present themselves over the internet very well. I agree that honor, control, and discipline are definitely important, because a lack of them can cause trouble for yourself and others. I believe martial artists should do their best to avoid trouble. I hope this did not offend anyone. I am sorry if it did. Have a nice day.

backbreaker
03-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
"Bruce Lee is the best." ect., ect. When we all know that Neo would choke him out.

:D :D :D LOL

BAI HE
03-17-2004, 06:11 PM
" have never understood why someone would want to fight somebody just because they insulted them on a message board."

I represent a tradition and stand up when necessary.

"Martial arts are supposed to be for self defense. If you let a little thing like an insult from a stranger on the internet get under your skin so bad, then how are you going to handle a major crisis in your life?"

Ever see a cat play with a mouse? Nobody ever gets under my skin. I've had more major crises in my life than I can count with my shoes off. That's why I am who I am.

"However, I have heard that some people are actually very good people in real life, but they just cannot present themselves over the internet very well."

Agreed.

" I agree that honor, control, and discipline are definitely important, because a lack of them can cause trouble for yourself and others. I believe martial artists should do their best to avoid trouble."

I believe some of these things. These concepts are not as black and white to me though. Everything is gray.

"I hope this did not offend anyone. I am sorry if it did. Have a nice day."

How could your post offend anyone? I't seems as if it was designed not to offend anyone.

BYW - TaiChiBob, you come off like such a friggin' hippy. That's not a bad thing though.

Vash
03-17-2004, 06:36 PM
So long as you don't hug trees, it's all good.

If you do, in fact, hug trees, then you are nothing more than a dirty, tree-huggin' hippy, and need to die.:eek: :D

blooming lotus
03-17-2004, 07:01 PM
dude...I am definately an ex-tree hugger...and to be honest, I can't guarantee if that a particulary fabulous tree crossed my path today that I wouldn't want to hg it...or handg off it at minimum....

I think tai chi bob is a seriously onto dude and props to you tcb:p ;) :D :cool:

as for the whole need to die trip....do your worst dude...I'm good to go :rolleyes:

Ps...and while we're here...save the freakin whales aswell ok!!!

BAI HE
03-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Put the Tao, Buddhism, Chan Buddhism, Zen and what have you in your pipe and take a biiiiig hit....

Religion or social practices, function like the martial arts, ethics and morality... Take what is useful and applicable to you and toss the rest.
Without understanding your own true nature? You are applying a formula or doctrine to your life that doesn't suit you.

You can never be anything that you are not. Ever.

Vash
03-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
dude...I am definately an ex-tree hugger...and to be honest, I can't guarantee if that a particulary fabulous tree crossed my path today that I wouldn't want to hg it...or handg off it at minimum....

I think tai chi bob is a seriously onto dude and props to you tcb:p ;) :D :cool:

as for the whole need to die trip....do your worst dude...I'm good to go :rolleyes:

Ps...and while we're here...save the freakin whales aswell ok!!!

Well, if a tree crosses your path, and you didn't cross it's, then there is something a bit more strange than nature-lovin' goin' on :p Handcuffs, you mean? Hmmmmm :o

I love whales. They're delicious.

BAI HE:

Excellent point.

blooming lotus
03-17-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Vash

I love whales. They're delicious.

. :eek: :eek: :eek:

dude...I'm a goddammed freakin vegetarian..and you're statement is just a little real!!!!:mad: :p

and if a tree crossed my path before I crossed it's........I'm gonna look for a whole new mushroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) :D

Ps...handcuffs can be a .........nice addition to an already good ......................................????????????

Vash
03-17-2004, 08:22 PM
I love mushrooms. On pizza. :p

Handcuffs. SOMEONE has some dominance issues ;)

SPJ
03-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Honor comes from respect for yourself and others. If you want to be respected, respect others first. If you want to be insulted, insult others away. You learn how to fight so that you may not have to fight. If you are always looking for a fight, you may not last long. You beat someone, eventually you may meet your match. The road is a dead end.

Control comes from practice. You control your consciousness. You control your emotions. You control your temper. Not the other way around. Emotions and tempers control you. Bad words from others control you?

Discipline is a gift from education. Self control needs guidance and practice. Discipline means you follow certain rules, values, ethics etc. If you train yourself well for martial arts and develop good character (Yi Qi, Zhen Qi, Just Qi). Even though your Wushu learning is mimimal, you won already.

blooming lotus
03-17-2004, 08:31 PM
absolutely!!!!........and if you're not careful, being my area of expertis..... I think you're gonna be lucky not to find on your door step

Ps.......is it byo cuffs ???:D :D :D :p

Vash
03-17-2004, 08:46 PM
:o :D :o :D :o

ShaolinWood
03-18-2004, 03:45 AM
Yea, I think TCB has a goood point, and not the first one to point it out.
Things easily get out of hand on these forums, and all others aswell...

Honor, Control, discipline

These values are more important than most other, if everyone could just stick to these the world would be a better place, maybe respect should also be at the top...

If we all just respected one another none of these silly pointless arguements would be happening, and we propably all will become much better martial artists because an open mind needs to be there.

The biggest reason for these forums should be learning, and that should be the reason why we come here.

At least we as martial artists should have a BIG thing in comon, and it's a love for martial arts.
Not a love for beating up martial artists...(as in serious, not whacking your training partner)

scotty1
03-18-2004, 05:44 AM
The biggest reason for these forums should be learning, and that should be the reason why we come here.

I must admit I do enjoy the drama, it's funny. :)

This place is like a soap opera sometimes.

ShaolinWood
03-18-2004, 05:48 AM
Yea, you have a point, but a little innocent drama is ok I guess, as long as noone gives MA a bad name or behave like idiots.

I did enjoy the tree hugger incident:D

TaiChiBob
03-18-2004, 06:49 AM
Greetings..

well... i guess being a hippy is better than a lot of other things one could be.. and, yes the '60's were very very good to me.. but, it was some of those same "visions" that moved me to the paths that led me here.. although i'm not always sure where "here" is... yeah, i've hugged a few trees, there's some good Qigong that uses that as a way to cultivate "earth energy".. (look out for ants and scorpions, though)..

I never look for a "real fight".. but i have chosen to be prepared in the event that it becomes necessary.. i would not consider insulting someone over ideas, we each have the right to our own ideas.. though we may not have the right to act on some of them.. sure, i get annoyed at people and their funny ways.. and i give them the right get annoyed at me, too.. but, with a little respect and common courtesy i think we can find a middle ground without challenging each other to violence, without making a public display of disrespect and tarnishing the CMA image any worse than it already is.. Heck, i think CMA could be a good role model for kids and society in general if we put a little sincere effort into it..

Mostly, though.. i want to thank everyone for taking a few moments to "give peace a chance".. (yeah, i guess i am a hippy..).. and thanks for the kind words.. Train hard, train well, and.. if you have to fight for real, be sure you're "right".. (prison bites..)..

ShaolinWood
03-18-2004, 06:59 AM
Respect!

Yes, its a matter of saving face.
If you only worry about earning respect from others, others will respect you.

Big up for the hippies:D

SPJ
03-18-2004, 08:28 AM
The tree is your teacher.

You walk around it with Ba Gua Walk.
You add a cushion around it. You practice hitting with your fist, palm, back of hand, shoulder, hip, chest, back, knee, shin and foot.

Meditation:
Bhudda once mediated under a tree.
You develop a good character, and well trained with basics of Wushu. You have strong roots. With practce with time, you grow up into a big tree, provide shade for others, and bears fruits of wisdom.

Regular dudes:
Sweet! firewoods, chain saw away, darting, curving, shot gun practice.

Birds:
Perches and safety for nesting

Squirrels:
Homes and safe haven.

For you?
Tree hugging or not or-----

Peace and love, oh Kumbaya!

Unmatchable
03-18-2004, 01:40 PM
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10670&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

scotty1
03-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Lost for something to say or playing devil's advocate?

Tell the truth now...

BAI HE
03-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Personal honor?
I don't have much of an ego. It gets in the way. I have my word and I do what I say.
"The dude abides."

Honor by affiliation?
You slag my friends, here I come.

Discipline?
That is all there is in ife and especially in practice.
Again, when it comes to my friends and colleagues? I don't have the strength not to fight at times. Especially when it comes to my freinds or loved ones.

I pick my friends and colleagues carefully. I don't throw my loyalty around at my age and I wouldn't have a freind that wasn't worth fighting for. You are somewhat defined by the company you keep...

Control?
I am in control of that which I can affect? The rest?
That is for nature and fate to decide. I do the best I can to be and undersatnd me.

That is really all I know.

TaiChiBob
03-22-2004, 06:44 AM
Greetings...

Honor: a deeply personal understanding of each person's right to exist.. a code of ethics that seeks to promotes harmony among all people and protects each person's right to exist..

Control: Self-mastery.. being able to direct one's path in a chosen manner.. which usually implies discarding certain favored actions in order to gain desired benefits from the chosen path..

Discipline: The acts, deeds and thoughts which train one to have control and demonstrate honor..

Note: The above is merely my own values, no attempt to suggest that these represent some universal truths..

It was interesting to visit the Bullshido site and see the responses to this thread.. it almost appeared to be a repository for disfunctional egos, but.. there were some voices of reason..

It occurrs to me that perhaps so many have invested so much into their training for fighting that there is some self-interest in preserving situations and conditions that incite confrontation.. that to act on behalf of harmony would somehow negate their investment.. maybe some people believe that in order for martial arts to survive there must be a "need", a threat.. that the only "real" value for martial arts is at the survival level.. this same mind-set promotes conflict on a global scale.. it is the same mind-set that demonstrates the belief that war is more beneficial that cooperation.. that it's easier to impose your own beliefs on others than it it is to understand theirs and find common ground (or at least negotiate for the common good)..

I chose Taiji because it offered options to hard external confrontation.. that it included a life-style that could be as beneficial as it was destructive.. it had balance..

Many will assert that Taiji was conceived as a "devastating Martial Art" and is nothing else.. i respectfully disagree.. perhaps it was conceived as such, but it has evolved as more.. traditionalists insist that "true Taiji" is its original concepts.. i sense that its enduring value is its evolution as a comprehensive life-style (including as a core principle its martial arts)..

Anyhow, i only offer my perspective.. Be well..