PDA

View Full Version : 1954 Tai Chi White Crane fight

Phil Redmond
03-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Here's the link to the fight that took place in Macau in 1954 http://kwoon2.free.fr/NgvsChan.WMV

The old fighter is Ng(Wu) Gong Yee(Wu TC). He is the son of Ng(Wu) Gan Chuan. The guy doing a form demo in the beginning is Dong Ying Jei, a student of the famous Yang Ching Fu(Yang style large frame).

The White Crane style here is Tibetian White Crane, master Chen (the younger fighter) has boxing background also. Some one says that Chen might still be alive

cha kuen
03-26-2004, 02:19 AM
sad. that those were supposelivley good masters, and they probalbywere good at their arts but oculdn't really fight.

TaiChiBob
03-26-2004, 07:12 AM
Greetings..

sad. that those were supposelivley good masters, and they probalbywere good at their arts but oculdn't really fight. .... if the "art" asserts self-defense and a practitioner can't fight, he is not good at his art.. that clip has little evidence of martial prowess.. it has surfaced again and again only to be ridiculed, it should be put to rest.. there is little discernable "style" in this fight, surely there are better examples of quality internal combat..

Be well....

GroungJing
03-26-2004, 11:20 AM
I agree!

I can’t find no better example of form over function.

Ren Blade
04-02-2004, 07:13 AM
They don't appear to be good fighters. They maybe able to do forms, but if they can't fight with their art, then I don't see them being good in their art. Doing good forms is just part of the training. To be able to fight completes an artist more.

Doug
04-02-2004, 07:32 AM
Does this have anythign to do with the Wu Tai Chi Chuan master Wu Kung-yi and White Crane stylist Ch'en K'e-fu? There is a small-print, one-page article on it in Furyu: The Budo Journal of Classical Japanese Martial Arts and Culture, issue #7, Winter '96-'97, vol. 2.3, p. 72.

Doug M

Walter Joyce
04-02-2004, 09:21 AM
No offense intended, but this is probably the 6th thread I have seen on this fight clip.
Its almost like you can tell what season it is by the reappeareance of this discussion.

Doug
04-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Sorry. I only intended to post a source. I actually am unable to watch the video clip.

Doug M