PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Top Level

blackmantis
03-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Hey,

Forgive my if this is a really stupid question, but what is the highest level of mantis kung fu? What is the final piece of training that all mantis people aspire to learn?

Any info would be great!

many thanks

S

BeiTangLang
03-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Living to an old age. The training never really ends.

Dachengdao
03-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Good reply, Beitanglang! That is very true! I have to say now I am studying more than before. In my younger days it was all physical study. Now I've added books, vcd's, and documents to my studies. Not just mantis, but all the kung fu...healing too, art, music, and caligraphy. There is no end point to any style. First of all is the basics. Not too many people can master these, so their whole martial arts career is stuck in the beginning. Some people blame the masters for being secretive and holding back info, but without the mastery of the basics you simply can't go further. When a student begins to excell, the master then adds to it. If the student is outstanding and demonstrates true wude not only in their kung fu but in their daily actions and attitude, then they may be considered for discipleships. Disciples get most of the teachings. The master who is the lineage holder will look to his disciples to find the one person who is most likely to surpass the master...the person with the best chance to take the style even higher. This person will be the lineage holder upon the death of the master. Traditionally lineage is passed down to the first son who is able to excell in the teachings, but in these modern times the masters' children are becoming more independant and you see more and more lineage holders who are outside the family. Or sometimes the children just can't achieve the level necessary and the master has to make the hard decision to pass them up in favor of doing what's best for the prosperity of his style. Hope this sheds some light on your question.
Wang

EarthDragon
03-17-2004, 10:26 AM
I would have to say the highest level of any martial art would be to move with instinct. If you can move before you think this would be to me the highest level. To move with YI......................

drunkendragon
03-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Sup Earthdragon? Where've ya been? What happened? Are you back in Buffalo yet?

Shaolinlueb
03-22-2004, 12:27 PM
the highest form of mantis is to leanr to rip arms off and drink blood.

EarthDragon
03-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Drunken dragon, yes I'm back, looking fo rsome mat time in the area check your private message talk to you soon