PDA

View Full Version : Ashma...gasp

Aramus
10-01-2001, 12:21 AM
I have a worker whose young son (3 years old) suffers from Ashma.
I have a friend who suffers from ashma (32 years old).

Does anyone know of anything that will actually help, reduce, or almost elimante the problem.

Anything is good, such as herbs, physical activity, medicine, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Fish of Fury
10-01-2001, 04:48 AM
asthma can often be helped.go see a good herbalist (Or therapist you like)
check for allergies, milk/dairy are often involved.

there's 2 types of asthma, exogenous (may be triggered by pollen etc) and endogenous (may be triggered by anxiety/emotional)

swimming and buteyko breathing both have pretty good results.

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

prana
10-01-2001, 05:14 AM
wotsobout cutting down on dairy ?

"...during adsorbtion, you are pronounced medically dead, but don't worry, you can breath through your skin, ears..."

Repulsive Monkey
10-01-2001, 01:31 PM
A Chinese Doctor will probably ask are the difficulties in breathing more pronounced on the in-breath or the out-breath. If it's on the out-breath then he will usually treat the Lungs, if its on the in-breath he will mainly treat the Kidneys. Dairy products can be both Damp abd Plegm forming and thus have a detrinetal effect upon breathing.

GLW
10-01-2001, 03:14 PM
http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=391199028&m=399199699#8831923401

SevenStar
10-02-2001, 04:03 AM
I have exogenous asthma. It's only a very slight case now, but when I was younger, I had attacks that put me in the hospital. I "grew out of it" I've been active in some form of exercise all my life though, so maybe that helped somewhat.

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

joedoe
10-03-2001, 04:01 AM
I have asthma. The advice from my doctor was that a regular routine of gentle exercise every day helps to keep the symptons of asthma down. I tried that and it seems to help a bit. I do about 15-20 minutes of training in the morning when I get up and I find that my asthma is better whne I can keep the routine up.

Allergy testing is a good idea.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Aramus
10-03-2001, 09:47 PM
I gave the information to the mother of the child. She was excited and impressed people actually took the time to help. She is doing more research and looking for a better doctor here in Columbus Ohio. She is also looking for a TMC doctor.

joedoe
10-04-2001, 03:04 AM
Main thing is not to lose hope. Keep looking at various therapies because I believe there is bound to be one (or a combination of therapies) out there that will work.

You're fu(king up my chi

SevenStar
10-04-2001, 07:30 PM
http://infinite.org/library/pages/NMSEP96-23.html

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

lukrion
10-21-2001, 10:33 PM
I have asthma that is brought on by allergies not by exercise. I can exercise, run, bike, practice Kung Fu and i'm fine. If my allergies are bad on a particular day, I start coughing and getting tight in the chest, making it really difficult to breathe.

I have just begun taking Singulair tablets, once a day. This has been REALLY helping me! I hardly cough or weeze even when my allergies or hayfever is bad, thus no asthma attack! Now I even have identified what is triggering the attacks, so now I can try to improve my immune system to the triggers themselves.

My goal too, is too improve my overall lung function and heath without medication, but until I do so I'm more than happy with the results I am getting. Its worth talking to a physicain about

joedoe
10-22-2001, 01:43 AM
So the Singulair works OK? Any nasty side effects? My doctor warned that there may be some nasty side effects. Apart from the cost, it sounded pretty good.

You're fu(king up my chi

lukrion
10-22-2001, 05:18 PM
I've been using it since mid summer. No side affects noticed. I hadn't heard anything about any nasty side affects, but I wondered about that too. It takes a few weeks for it to really work well. But it has helped with my allergy related asthma like a charm. This has helped me to get in the groove with regards to exercising and working out. It is expensive though.

joedoe
10-24-2001, 02:54 AM
Yeah, the expense also turned me off it a bit. Now I am turning towards natural therapies to see how they go because I am not so keen on the idea of being on asthma medications for the rest of my life.

You're fu(king up my chi

lukrion
10-24-2001, 08:58 PM
Beleive me, I know what you mean. I wish I could get away from medications also. Its only been in the last 6 months i ever really used any type of Asthma meds. But Every year since I was about 10, I would get severe coughing spells in the fall. This year I went for Allergy testing. They did A spirometry test on my lungs. I came in in the 95% in the top! So exercise wasn't the problem. Just Pollen Dust, trees, grass etc. So they gave me this in addition to allergy meds. But I'm also getting Allergy shots. I'm hoping that the shots will help me to overcome this stuff!

Have you had any luck with alternative treatments? I grow Purple Echanacea and Rosemary. I dry it, Grind it into powder and capsule it. It helps a little with coughing and specifically when I have colds

joedoe
10-28-2001, 02:47 AM
Well, I have had some success with Reiki. It is an ongoing thing but hopefully it will get me well enough to be free of the drugs.

I am trying various herbal remedies. I am taking a mixture of vitamin C, horseradish and garlic for the hayfever, and some fish oil, aloe vera and propolis to see if it helps my asthma any.

I am still on preventers, but rarely ever have to use a reliever any more. Huge improvement on what I used to be like.

You're fu(king up my chi

batesy
11-03-2001, 09:43 PM
As an asthma sufferer I can't recommend Chinese traditional medicine enough. I know that accupuncture might be a bit daunting for a small kid but there are other approaches, accupressure, herbs etc which can all help. Also have a look at the intake of dairy products, my asthma is vile when I have lots of phlegm and this can be promoted by cheese etc. I was recently prescribed an new inhaler called Serovent, it has been very helpful. Hope some of this helps, best wishes.