PDA

View Full Version : True Master

ShaolinWood
03-18-2004, 04:37 AM
I've spoken to some of my friends about reaching mastery and where we want to end up with our training, and it's quite an interesting debate, especially with so many different objectives from practitioner to practitioner.

I mostly strive to be able to win a fight without having to hurt the apponent.

This to me reqires the most training and is a very high level of skill.
Just pulling of a successful chin na is a high level of skill and it is much easier to use offence, like punches or other strikes to stop the attacker.

Dr Yang Jwing Ming said that one should only start considering using Chin na after 10 years of hard training, and he has a point!
The risk you put yourself into is far greater when you attempt doing a chin na and fail than when you go for strikes.

I read a thread a while back about martial arts training counting against you in court, the point was risen that "You have the skill to stop a fight without hurting the attacker" but what people fail to understand is that that SKILL is a very high level of training and that it is safer to just hurt someone.

And that is propably a good guidline to control oneself to not get in a situation where you have to display your inability to control.

I'm NOT saying anyone who hurts an apponent is NOT a master!!!
I'm suggesting that if someone is truely a master he would not have to...

Ray Pina
03-18-2004, 07:37 AM
I think what you say is true. But it is also relative to the situation (size, numbers, weapons, skill level).

No one wants to subject themselves to any unnecessary pain or disadvantages position over a stranger attacking them. Mood at the time is also a factor.

ShaolinWood
03-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Mmm, yes mood is a good factor, a Master at MA may get irretated, and that may result in unnecesary pain for the irratator...He he he (disturbed laugh)

Yes, well this comes down to the factor of what is necesary, if you get outnumbered then the only way to get out of it would be eliminating the opponents till you are safe.

With one opponent you can be safe with him in a safe lock.

Weapons on the other hand...wil one ever be good enough to try something against a coward with a gun?

ShaolinWood
03-19-2004, 12:51 AM
I read a post on another threat about a green Barrett dude taking a gun of a mugger,
Well if your skill is so good and your reflexis lightning fast you may be able to seize a situation like that.

Our masters always tells us that no matter what, you give him what he wants, and then apply runfu,
But I've seen my master react to techniques, and he is SO fast and COMPPLETELY in control, it seems like everything happens in slow motion for him...

I wonder if he is in a situation like that if he won't open a can, He'll NEVER tell us that he would, otherwise he would be a bad master, cause he doesn't want hes students taking on gunslingers...

I still hate gunslingers!

But I think there are people out there with such trained reflexes and awesome speed that we can't understand yet...

Ray Pina
03-19-2004, 08:01 AM
I don't count on speed. I'll be 30 in a few months and physically ability will not last forever. What I try to do is put myself in a position where my weapons are close to my tarkett and I need not move much. This gives the appearance of speed.

Also, place your hand on your waist, and have a friend slap your belly without warning you. Chances are, you're reaction is late.

Now, hold your arm out a bit and have your friend over lap his slapping arm and then try to hit you. The sensitivity warns you and you deflect. You're speed did not increase, but your position, combined with sensitivity, increased your odds.

With that sad, masters are very inspiring. The best make everything look simple. It's our job to find out why.

You wouldn't happen to be near Jeffrey's Bay would you?

ShaolinWood
03-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Good point.
Although What I really mean with speed is the speed of reaction and thinking clearly.
To make a good decision in a split second.

Then whe your hand is on your waist and someone slaps for your belly you would maybe turn your hip to avoid direct impact if your hand can't get there in time...

No, I'm in Pretoria, like JBay though, have some friends nearby:D

TaiChiBob
03-25-2004, 06:00 AM
Greetings..

The true master demonstrates superior skill.. can lead you there.. and push you further..

Evolution Fist: years ago at 14th St. in Cocoa Beach we used to razz this kooky kid that kept getting in our way.. today i am pleased to count K. Slater as a friend.. a couple of months ago he was home and showed some tapes of J. Bay, it was awesome.. we timed a 4min 20 second ride that got him barreled 4 times..

Be well....

Ray Pina
03-25-2004, 08:57 AM
He is a master!

I have some crazy footage of him at J-bay on a few DVDs. That guy is like water, he flows unbelievably well. I read his book about a month ago' pretty good for tips on competitive focus.