PDA

View Full Version : self-help for the elderly show in sf in august

hungsingclf
03-18-2004, 12:35 PM
hello. the hung sing gwoon of usa and branch schoools from around the usa will be performing lion dance all over sf chinatown collecting donations for the elderly people of the area. afterwards we will be performing in downtown sf (lion dance and gung fu). also a rumor jackie chan may be at this event. so if you are in the area the 2nd weekend in august stop by. also the annual celebration of retired gm jew, leong's gee tuck som tuck family association was a huge success. thanks to current gm dino salvatera, sifu tenny lee, sifu troy dunwood, sifu bryan jang, sifu frank mccarthy, sifu chad myers and all the students for making a great contribution.

R
03-18-2004, 05:09 PM
It is great to see people doing something that puts CMA and MA in general in a good light. I know we have done demos in the past in support of hospitals, seniors, the community in general and so forth. It can't help but give people a better feel that we are more than just brawlers.

This is also one area where people from different systems can get off their a$$es and support their brothers/sisters. Might find we have more in common than some people thought.

Hey could even help to get rid of that old joke...."what do you need to do to kill all the CMA guys in your community?? Nothing..just leave them in a room together to discuss who is the best".

Good on you Hung Sing lineage.

R

SifuX-HSK
03-23-2004, 04:05 PM
hey,

thanks for the good compliments. we at the hung sing kwoon have been involved with the self help for the elderly organization for more than 20 years. what we do is go around the financial districts and ask for donations for self help who happens to house, clothe, and feed the elderly.

jacky chan has helped out a lot too. he dontates a lot of money to them.

sifu chad meyers and his students did a great job at gee tuck sam tuck family assoc. celeb. they represented well. i am glad they had fun.and we look forward to their return in august.

anyone is welcomed to join us on this date.. the other schoolis is sf that participate is yau kung mun, white crane, buk sil lum,hung sing oakland, east bay and san francisco, and now georgia, gee yung, and some others.

frank

GeneChing
03-26-2004, 06:36 PM
It's for the Self-Help for the Elderly group. They're opening a new "Jackie Chan" Wing of their senior center. I posted some info on our Media forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=29236) and will post more there as I know more. Our non-profit branch, the Tiger Claw Foundation (http://www.tigerclawfoundation.org), is helping to promote this fundraiser.

Good people, good charity, good work - it's what martial artists should all strive for. :D

hungsingclf
03-27-2004, 06:25 AM
hello gene. are you gonna lion dance all day with us? anytime one can use there martial arts to help anyone, to me this is what it's about. some of the schools at the end of the day will be performing downtown. maybe gene can come and do a set or two. would make a nice article in the magazine.:D

Ou Ji
03-29-2004, 07:21 AM
So these are two different events, both involving Jackie Chan and benefitting Self Help for the Elderly.

The August event features Lion Dance in the streets for donations culminating in a big Kung Fu show in the park.

The April event is a stage show featuring Jackie Chan and put on by the Self Help for the Elderly.

Am I correct on both? Anything to add to either one?

Hey I don't see the August event in the calendar. What's the date for that, 14th, 15th or both?

GeneChing
03-29-2004, 06:15 PM
would make a nice article in the magazine Yeah, like assoc. pub. throws out his back trying to lion dance again. I haven't lion danced in years. Once I split my head open doing a lion dance and covered everything in blood. It was at a restaurant for a Chinese New Years thing. Pretty ugly. You wouldn't want me to bloody up your lion, beleive me. :p

Yes, these are two different events I think. I don't know anything about the August one, but the April one is a showing of his movie Traces of the Dragon, a documentary about Jackie's real life family. It's a formal affair, I gather, so I'll try not to bleed on anyone. I think we have a link up at our non-profit site http://www.TigerClawFoundation.org