PDA

View Full Version : Are people born with natural instincts to defend themselves

Unmatchable
03-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Here is an interesting thread:
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10729

What a load of ****. People are not born with a knowledge of how to fight. They simply aren't. People don't instinctively know how to throw a punch. They don't know how to grapple or wrestle very well at all. Just about the only thing that humans ARE instinctively able to do is suckle. The rest takes a lot of learning.

Untrained people put in situations where they HAVE to fight degenerate into flailing, ineffectual, uncontrolled retards. I've personally seen it happen many times. Look at videos of your average street fight. Their attempts to injure each other are totally pathetic 95% of the time! They flail with haymakers and other retarded techniques and will get DESTROYED by a well trained boxer, grappler or other trained fighter.

there are more natural tendancies to run away or bite, than there are to "fist fight".
If you see kids or even untrained adults fight, its is a sad display, much like chimps or apes, but without the natrual strength that those animals have.

Judge Pen
03-19-2004, 03:06 PM
I think some people have a natural talent to learn how to properly fight. They will be better than most of their peers with the same level of training

red5angel
03-19-2004, 03:12 PM
sure they do, they just don't do it well or with much control. That's why we train in the martial arts ;)

PHILBERT
03-19-2004, 04:49 PM
We do have natural instincts to defend ourselves though when attacked. Look at little kids who never see a martial arts movie or boxing or wrestling. When they get in a fight, sure it is a bunch of sissy slap fighting and scratching, but they are going purely on instinct. Would someone going on pure instinct win against someone who has trained? Maybe, but then again most likely not. Someone going on instinct would usually scratch and what not, versus getting punched in the face or kicked in the knees.

scotty1
03-19-2004, 06:27 PM
The question is "Are people born with natural instincts to defend themselves"

The answer is yes, some are, although some obviously aren't.

The question wasn't "are people naturally able to defend themselves againt a well trained grappler or boxer.":D

David Jamieson
03-19-2004, 06:35 PM
yes they are born with what is commonly know as "fight or flight" instinct.

it is called autonomatic reaction system or something like that, correct my spelling if yer a psyche major here. :)

anyway, i agree they aren't born with techniques and skills, but to "fight" doesn't take a whole lot of skill as many ufc-ers have shown us :D

oh, and that video floating around the boards with the old man fighting the yound man and the flailing and the posing and the flailing and the glaven and the oy!

cheers

IronFist
03-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Sure. People flinch when you fake to hit them. That's not a learned response. That's an instinct to defend themselves.

You said are they born with natural instincts to DEFEND themselves, which they are. But maybe you meant are they born with natural instincts to fight? ie. technique.

David Jamieson
03-19-2004, 09:47 PM
like i said, fighting does not mean you need technique, it just means wailing on the other guy.

technique is refined wailing on the other guy

refined technique is wailing on the other guy with a little compassion.

kungfu is not wailing on the guy at all but at the same time not letting him wail on you.

:D

Kristoffer
03-20-2004, 02:56 AM
Are people born with natural instincts to defend themselves?

yes

SevenStar
03-20-2004, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
Sure. People flinch when you fake to hit them. That's not a learned response. That's an instinct to defend themselves.

I agree that we are born with the instinct, to fight, but not born able to do it well, necessarily. However, I don't think the flinch reflex is part of that instinct. When I first started wrestling and playing with my kid, he wouldn't flinch - he didn't know he was gonna get hit or knocked down. Once he realized, he began flinching, trying to block, etc.

SevenStar
03-20-2004, 04:17 AM
Actually, after re-reading what I posted, maybe we are born with the instinc, but not with the perception of what's a threat and what's not...

Volcano Admim
03-20-2004, 04:51 AM
obviously everyone have the fighting instincts, hunting instincits, copulating instincts...
the objectives of martial arts are to refine the fighting instincts.

when its about survival you do crazy sheyt
and many times it may work

when i was a kid i won two fights with sucker punches (only one strike needed on each) that were like uppercuts aimed very low. one strike bang, dude on the floor cant breath
no one had thought me how to punch at the time
and no i did not watch boxing
hell, i coulnt even play soccer or any other sport properly

Serpent
03-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
yes they are born with what is commonly know as "fight or flight" instinct.

it is called autonomatic reaction system or something like that, correct my spelling if yer a psyche major here. :)

I'm not a psyche major (more of a psych-o really), but I believe your talking about autonomic response. Fight or flight, same thing.

Of course you're born with an instinct to defend yourself. Would anyone just lie there and let a lion eat them, for example? You might soil your pants and just freeze, but most likely you would run like mad or thrash around trying to defend yourself.

Whether you're any good at it is another matter.

dodger87
03-20-2004, 07:16 AM
But even a two kung fu masters whose trained for years can fight poorly. Like that clip posted on here somewhere.

Volcano Admim
03-20-2004, 08:23 AM
they sucked so bad
as so many kf people suck
****, they do not ever deserve to be called masters, nor fighters
they are pathetic crap

kf disgusts me cos i can count on my hands only the number of people teaching real fighting from cma worldwide

what disguts me even more is when i see some kf people actually defending those 2 pathetic ****ers

i say, seriously, id fight those 2 at the same time
and win

David Jamieson
03-20-2004, 09:18 AM
uh, a sucker punch cannot be considered a "fight" there xebby.

a sucker punch is just dirty pool. but there's nothing wrong with getting all down and dirty when it comes to fighting, after all, fighting is dirty business. :D

IronFist
03-20-2004, 11:09 AM
SevenStar, I think you might be right about the flinching thing.

I did an experiment on one of my friends who was a girl... I faked a punch toward her face and she never even flinched! She said she had never been hit before. But if you do that to any guy, they will most likely flinch.

So I think you might be right.