PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Tournie..

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Good time, for the most part. Got to meet a # of pretty good martial artists, some cool kids, and a nice group of wushu heads too. The only real incident I had was a run in with a certain judge, who will, right now, remain nameless, unless KC wants to say his name. I did well, got second in taiji open hands (beg. div) which I thought I had won, but lost a tie breaker. Scores went from 6.0-6.9 for that division, I recieved (6.9) (6.9) (6.8) (6.7) (6.5). The other guy got one 6.9, but two 6.8s and a couple 6.7s....
I was the last to go in the division (I had several things going on at the same time). I made two errors that I cought of myself on my fairlady works the shuttles (raised my shoulder up... big nono). Anyhow, I found out I lost the tiebreaker, and was a little upset with myself because I made errors that I shouldn't have made, but so it goes. I walked up to recieve my metal, and the judge put it over my head, then proceded to talk $hit with me.. I was a bit pizsed to say the least. Anyhow, I cooled off, talked to the head judge of my ring, then I guess he got "talked too."

Next up was External weapons. they just had one division for all weapons, so I convinced them to let me do two forms. I went first with my fan, which started to act up on me half way through the set, so I improvised, finished up, and tied for third... later losing the tiebreaker, finishing fourth. Then I did my new broadsword form, which went really well, and I finished second.

Next up was Intermediate mens northern forms, where no one showed up, so I went ahead and went into advanced mens forms, which I won, by a tenth or two. They sort of mingled wushu and traditional together, but I still did my trad. form to win it, which I thought was cool. I did the form at about 90% of the best I had ever done it, so I was happy with it. I at first didn't think I'd win, but one guy made a small mistake, the other I saw did OK, but seemed to be thinking too much.

At this point I met up with KC Elbows.. He's a cool guy, gave me some of the low-down of the political aspect of the KC ma game... which didn't surprise me, but there is a bit of it goin' down. Including the lowdown on homeboy that talked $hit with me.

The last event, I entered was taiji push hands (I love doing push hands, but haven't in a few months at least). Where I did really well. I won my first match 14-1 (the guy pushed me before I really knew what was going on), then I proceded to go through my form, not really move for move, but had a good deal of them in there, and pushed him all over. He was doing well taking the pushes, he wasn't easy to push, I don't remember his name, cool kid though. My second match was another cool kid, who had won his first match by a bunch too. I got a push, then he got a push, then I got like 6 pushes, and he got a push... then we switched sides, and we ended up 14 or 15-4.... Good time. The push hands were a lot better here than at other tournies, I've seen, where they become shoving matches that look more like sumo then taiji... not to knock sumo, but chall know what I'm sayin'

recap, two golds, two silvers, and a fourth
good tournie, good time

MasterKiller
03-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Why'd the guy start smack talking you?

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 09:29 AM
I was disappointed with myself, after I found out I lost the tie breaker.. I then went up and got my silver, bowed, was cool about it. Then he leaned over to another judge, and whilst staring at me, said loudly "He doesn't like that," then follows up once he knows he has my attention, "You'd think he'd be happy with a metal," then only to follow after the gold was given, "Hey, you sparring today?" To which I replied "No, not today," which I even said cooly, then he replied (this is what almost made me boil over) "It's probably a good thing you aren't sparring," all this while like staring me down..

SevenStar
03-22-2004, 09:35 AM
hater - he liked something he saw and was pizzed cuz he knows he doesn't have it.

MasterKiller
03-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
I was disappointed with myself, after I found out I lost the tie breaker.. I then went up and got my silver, bowed, was cool about it. Then he leaned over to another judge, and whilst staring at me, said loudly "He doesn't like that," then follows up once he knows he has my attention, "You'd think he'd be happy with a metal," then only to follow after the gold was given, "Hey, you sparring today?" To which I replied "No, not today," which I even said cooly, then he replied (this is what almost made me boil over) "It's probably a good thing you aren't sparring," all this while like staring me down.. Dayum. He pretty much called you out. Not cool from a judge. I think I would have lost it.

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Yeah, at that moment, I would have loved to have been anywhere else but there for the sole purpose of a "pre-emptive strike" to his skull... but one, we were still in the middle of the ring, two, there was another internal group still competing, and three, my teacher was the head judge for the other internal ring, and whatever I would have done, he would have seen then he would have smacked me around 5x for that.:D

But other than that, a good tournie, ran a bit late... didn't love the mixing of all the judges, but it worked out well.

red5angel
03-22-2004, 10:01 AM
dang dude - here's my theory on martial arts guys talking smack. See, we're all trained to be able to resolve any sort of ego issue. So you make arrangements to meet him formally in the ring or informally somewhere else (it doesn't have to be a testosterone laden offer either, "freindly" matches can and do happen), and do what we do, fight.
But congrats on the places, especially the taking of first with traditional forms!

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 10:21 AM
:D

Right on, thanks. It was worth the 1300 miles too this weekend, just for that one medal, let alone the other three....

:)

damo chuan, a traditional form, that feels very "shaolin" out of the northern stuff that we do, which is fun, and has a nice challenging high stance to jump inside crecent to front stance at the end....

red5angel
03-22-2004, 10:35 AM
I'm really enjoying my own traditional shaolin training. I've started learning the first 13 forms or routines or something and their tough! I'm only on the first two but I can only do them about 10 times in a row before my legs just quit on me! I like the way they flow together too. I've even began to incorporate some of the techniques buried in them into my shadow boxing in the morning.

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 11:03 AM
I can only do them about 10 times in a row before my legs just quit on me!

Builds endurance...:D

Try switching them up too.

red5angel
03-22-2004, 11:47 AM
when I leanr more I will certainly be switching them up. From what I understand these first 12 or 13 forms are considered warmups or something.

MasterKiller
03-22-2004, 11:50 AM
R5,
I know this was discussed elswhere, but are you doing a Tan Tui line, or 12 individual, longer forms like wubu chuan?

Gangsterfist
03-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Are you talking about the golden dragon tournament? I purposely didn't go to it. There are a lot of politics in KC about kung fu unfortunately.

However, it has gotten a lot better since a few years ago from what I have been told. Next year should be even smoother. I heard that wushu group was kinda lame with techno music hehehe, but I wasn't there.

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 12:46 PM
I heard that wushu group was kinda lame with techno music hehehe

Oh, if I'm thinking of the same thing, there was this one school, that had green sleeveless tops for there demo.. the teacher and a couple of his children students. But yeah, wasn't overly thrilled with that demo. I think the tournie politics were kept to a minimum from what I could see...

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Shao Li's school was there, they did pretty good.

Gangsterfist
03-22-2004, 12:48 PM
NP I just sent you a PM check your mail box

Shaolinlueb
03-22-2004, 01:06 PM
got pics from the tournie?

red5angel
03-22-2004, 01:10 PM
shoot MK, now your just throwing chinese names at me!

Seriously, all I know as of right now is that the guys who have been teaching me refer to them as the 12 shaolin routines. I think its 12 anyway. They don't have a whole lot of moves built in but the idea is you go from one to the other in sequence.

MasterKiller
03-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Tan Tui, or springing legs, comes in varieties of 10 and 12 roads, usually. Basically, you do one road, which would be a couple of basic moves repeated several times, then you turn around and do it the other way, then start a new road, turn around, etc... Once you have all the roads, you do it as one long form, as opposed to doing 10 or 12 individual warm-up forms that are unrelated.

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Emptyflower used to have a tan tui clip, which was 10 roads in full I believe.

I don't know of any other clips though.

MasterKiller
03-22-2004, 01:41 PM
YMAA has a clip: http://www.ymaaschool.com/media/audiovideo/audvideos.php#

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Yup, thats the one... red fizzle, check it out.

Shaolinlueb
03-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Emptyflower used to have a tan tui clip, which was 10 roads in full I believe.

I don't know of any other clips though.

www.jiayo.com has a clip of tantai.

red5angel
03-22-2004, 01:53 PM
http://www.jiayo.com/videos/classical.html

that tantui is close. The first few moves are different but the first direction and the second direction are similar to what I'm learning.

MK - that's what I understand, you learn them seperate then put them alltogether.

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Those forms on Jiayo are Cha chuan forms, not tan tui...

first road of tan tui is different than the first road of cha chuan.

They are both from the Chinese muslim's however.

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Older Traditional Names:

Ch'a #1=Mother Seed
Ch'a #2=Hand Motion
Ch'a#3=Flying Kick
Ch'a#4=Slippery Fork
Ch'a#5=East Door
Ch'a#6=Crouching
Ch'a#7=Plum Blossom
Ch'a#8=Destroyer
Ch'a#9=Dragon Whips Tail
Ch'a#10=String Fist

While from ngokfei's eariler posting on the modern names:

Tao Lu Shang Shou Shi - 1st Road Rising Hands
Er Lu Xing Shou Shi - 2nd Road Moving Hands
San Lu Yao Xue Shi - 3rd road Shaking the Nest
Si Lu Liao Yin Shi - 4th Road Swinging and Rising
Wu Lu Kuai Zu Shi - 5th Road Fast Speed
Liu Lu Liu Jiao Shi - 6th Road Six Directions
Qi Lu Mei Hua Shi - 7th Road Plum Flower
Ba Lu Fei Hu Shi - 8th Road Flying Tiger
Jiu Lu Er Shi Si Shi - 9th Road 24 Forms
Shi Lu Chuan Tong Shi - 10th Road Unifying/Binding

As posted by Northern Shaolin on the Shaolin forum (cha chuan #4 thread)

MasterKiller
03-22-2004, 02:08 PM
4th down....Shilu Tantui

R5,
That's the way we do it, too....learn the roads separately, then put them together. We do a 12-road Tan Tui line, though.

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 02:11 PM
right on.. I missed that one.

:D

red5angel
03-22-2004, 02:24 PM
ours starts out differently, but even the stuff he uses in the beginning is stuff that I do in my short forms so far.

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 02:30 PM
We do the same one, slightly different, looks more kung fuish...lol

our elbow in the beginning has a bit more of a latteral thing going on.

MasterKiller
03-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Yeah, mine starts differently, too. Actually, only about 1/2 those roads match the ones in our set.

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Oh, and I'll get some picts. back tom. from a guy at the tournie.. see what comes out, maybe I'll be able to email you guys something.

Banjos_dad
03-22-2004, 04:34 PM
We do that at our school, tan tui, but we call our 12 Spring Legs. We wear rings on our arms. Par is 5 for a woman and 7 for a man but he really wants you to do more.
N_P_, I can hardly believe it about that judge. He must have really felt threatened to put you in that particular bind. You did the right thing staying cool I think. It's hard to come up with the genius solution in like 10 milliseconds sometimes. Can you imagine the escalation if you knocked out this guy in his hometown & particularly in front of your sifu.
Dam you have a long range. KC & Alb & what's next. Alaska?:p

norther practitioner
03-22-2004, 04:52 PM
When you do the cma scene.. tournies are few and far between.

Being from Denver, there are none here, so we're going to do what we can to go to a few here and there. Alb. is ~6 hr. drive, KC was a little less than 9 on the way back... not too bad.

We'll do Taiji Legacy (Dallas) this year again, and I'd like to go compete on the East Coast, but $ will be the issue.
I want to do the Orlando tournie, and a few others (I'd go every couple weeks if I had the $).

tan tui=spring leg
There are 10 and 12 line varieties, and a few more... a lot of northern style schools have adapted there own versions.

Vash
03-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Congrats on the wins, NP!

It always suxors when politics and ego get mixed up in martial arts, and it's really distracting at tournies. Don't think I'll be doing any more of those after I retest for my Shodan.

Again, congrats. I would've let my mouth run off in that situation.

Starchaser107
03-22-2004, 08:39 PM
cool

way to go dude.

Shaolinlueb
03-22-2004, 09:01 PM
When you do the cma scene.. tournies are few and far between.

Being from Denver, there are none here, so we're going to do what we can to go to a few here and there. Alb. is ~6 hr. drive, KC was a little less than 9 on the way back... not too bad.

We'll do Taiji Legacy (Dallas) this year again, and I'd like to go compete on the East Coast, but $ will be the issue.
I want to do the Orlando tournie, and a few others (I'd go every couple weeks if I had the $).

tan tui=spring leg
There are 10 and 12 line varieties, and a few more... a lot of northern style schools have adapted there own versions.

dude there is one in pittsburg that is a modern and traditional wushu tourny. maybe you should go to wongs this year in DC. i know its a long drive or flight for you. im gonna drive the 10 hours to it. it was nice last year.

MasterKiller
03-23-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
im gonna drive the 10 hours to it. it was nice last year. **** that! I hate driving 2 hours to Dallas....

norther practitioner
03-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys...:D
MK:
You're just upset because you keep getting beat by those Mizong kids... :eek: :p
Yeah, the Pittsburg tourney is the Wushu Unions Nationals.. which I'd have to go to another tournie to qualify for if I want to be in the main events. I'll see when I have some $ and whats going on when.... I need to save up for my potential trip to China too.

Shaolinlueb
03-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys...:D
MK:
You're just upset because you keep getting beat by those Mizong kids... :eek: :p
Yeah, the Pittsburg tourney is the Wushu Unions Nationals.. which I'd have to go to another tournie to qualify for if I want to be in the main events. I'll see when I have some $ and whats going on when.... I need to save up for my potential trip to China too.

i am gonna go to do the non sanctioned stuff. i dont care about main events this year. maybe next year. china hmmm yeah i am going to korea so i need money too.

MasterKiller
03-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb

i am gonna go to do the non sanctioned stuff. i dont care about main events this year. maybe next year. china hmmm yeah i am going to korea so i need money too. We're trying to go to Seoul sometime this year....when you going to Korea?

norther practitioner
03-23-2004, 11:38 AM
It just kind of sucks right now in the US with all the politican that screwed up the USAWKF organization... I don't want to go to there events, however, they do have the IWuF recognition..

MK, when were you thinking of going to Seoul

MasterKiller
03-23-2004, 11:40 AM
MK, when were you thinking of going to Seoul Late summer, hopefully. Maybe next spring.

Shaolinlueb
03-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
We're trying to go to Seoul sometime this year....when you going to Korea?

hmm not this year probably. if it is it will be later in the summer. one of the family at kung fu, his wife is korean and they said i can come along whenever they go. they go every year or so.

norther practitioner
03-23-2004, 03:07 PM
Any particular reason for your trip MK?

MasterKiller
03-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Any particular reason for your trip MK? Kung fu, baby.

Shaolinlueb
03-24-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Kung fu, baby.

in korea? i hate to tell you man, you're in the worng country :o :p ;) :D

norther practitioner
03-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Actually, my teacher learned a bit of stuff in Korea. He stayed there for a while after competing in a kung fu tourney there.