PDA

View Full Version : Just saw Goodrich vs Hunt on ESPN

rogue
03-22-2004, 07:52 PM
If that's what K-1 is becoming you can keep it. That was right from Toughman but not as much fun.

rubthebuddha
03-22-2004, 10:42 PM
aye. i'm not sure if goodridge's corner told him, but he was supposed to fight back. i don't know who won, as i turned the fight off after goodridge THREW three punches through two rounds. :o

rogue
03-23-2004, 07:06 AM
Or maybe that K-1 is kickboxing. Maybe I'm being silly but as a spectator when I watch kickboxing I want to see at least a few well done kicks. Watching two bad boxers going at it was a joke.

apoweyn
03-23-2004, 07:45 AM
That's a shame, because the K-1 events I've seen (mostly the early events) have showcased some of the best kickboxing I've ever seen.

Suntzu
03-23-2004, 08:42 AM
:rolleyes: it was ONE fight.... from like years ago.........

norther practitioner
03-23-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by apoweyn
That's a shame, because the K-1 events I've seen (mostly the early events) have showcased some of the best kickboxing I've ever seen.

Word.. I'd have to concur to that... I've seen some really good stuff there.

Face2Fist
03-23-2004, 08:49 AM
the fight is 2 - 3 years old. and it was more of a boxing match than kickboxing. i noticed that goodrich tends not to fight back when he gets hit hard, as in the fight with fedor, he got smashed hard with a punch, he just covered up and fedor just used him as a punching bag.

apoweyn
03-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Suntzu
:rolleyes: it was ONE fight.... from like years ago.........

I'm sure that K1, on the whole, is still very good. I just haven't watched them since the early ones. (A Japanese friend of mine had a friend of hers tape the events and send them over, so I was watching all the early Andy Hug/Peter Aerts/Ernesto Hoost events.)

Suntzu
03-23-2004, 09:01 AM
so I was watching all the early Andy Hug/Peter Aerts/Ernesto Hoost events.) classic stuff....... Hoost is still kickin a$$

Face2Fist
03-23-2004, 09:26 AM
classic stuff....... Hoost is still kickin a$$

the man is 37 years old, and still kicking @ss!
fighters nowadays are fighting longer and longer...

rubthebuddha
03-23-2004, 09:47 AM
it's amazing that hoost fights so well, when he has NO CALVES. :D

and in the hunt/goodridge fight, it's not as if hunt was really throwing anything near as powerful as he can. he had a hyoooge knee brace on that kept his typically slow-moving body moving even less, so his punches were all arm.

i still think someone forgot to tell goodridge to fight back. :)

Suntzu
03-23-2004, 09:50 AM
people with those skinny legs have kicks that feels like sword slices rather than baseball bats.......

apoweyn
03-23-2004, 09:53 AM
classic stuff....... Hoost is still kickin a$$

Oh yeah? Excellent.

How about Aerts?

MasterKiller
03-23-2004, 09:55 AM
people with those skinny legs have kicks that feels like sword slices rather than baseball bats....... That's a funny way to describe mosquito bites.

Suntzu
03-23-2004, 09:59 AM
How about Aerts? i haven't seen him in a while...... good question...

apoweyn
03-23-2004, 10:29 AM
I always liked that Brazilian dude too. I think he had a taekwondo background. He was willing (and more importantly, able) to pull some kicks that you don't usually see in kickboxing. (It's not uncommon to see spinning back kicks, obviously. But so many fighters have a round kick and a front kick, it's nice to see the kickers with a slightly larger repetoire, like Andy Hug and that Brazilian guy.)

EDIT: Filho! Francisco Filho.

Suntzu
03-23-2004, 10:45 AM
i was thinking about andy hug too..... he took somebody out with a spin kick to the inside of the leg...... crazy....

apoweyn
03-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Mike Bernardo, yeah. They've got that as part of a compilation clip of Hug somebody posted on Bullshido. All set to the theme music from Kill Bill. Nifty little clip that.

Face2Fist
03-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
That's a funny way to describe mosquito bites.

i guess you never been hit by a skinny leg, those kicks hurt like a mofo... they cut right into you lol

Mutant
03-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by rubthebudda
it's amazing that hoost fights so well, when he has NO CALVES. [/QUOTE

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MasterKiller
That's a funny way to describe mosquito bites.

Nope. Word of advice... fear the skinny man.
At least when he's a well trained fighter with that body type, those legs get dense and compact instead of bulking up. Those thin little legs can turn out to be like steel rebar that can break you into pieces. Try going a few rounds with Mike Norman or one of the sharks in that weight class and you'll quickly feel what i'm talking about.

Hoost has those kind of legs.

:eek:

Face2Fist
03-23-2004, 11:57 AM
bang has that type of frame too, and he breaks people down with those skinny @ss of his...

Banjos_dad
03-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Seems like just as in boxing, some fights are great and some are a waste of your time to watch, you don't know what you'll get until it's finished.
Sometimes smaller people are the meanest What about really huge people like Bob Sapp? One of the k-1s from last year had Bob Sapp facing I think Ernesto, if not him, one of the other more successful K-1 guys.
Sapps opponent was blasting away as hard and as technical as he could, almost in vain as Sapp seemed not even to notice most of the time, the main effect was just to provoke him.
It wasn't pretty but it was definitely food for thought. A powerful kickboxer giving it has all against a giant. Sapp just soaked it up then unleashed the rock-em sockem robot 1-2 punch again and again like 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2. You could tell they landed hard too.
K-1 could be better. At least they broadcast them on ESPN for free, eventually. I'll sit down & watch some free k-1s on cable anytime. I would like to check out San Da Wang from China too, I read about it in the article about Shi Xiaolong.
If they made the people on "American Idol" fight each other, maybe more people would watch it.

Abstract
03-24-2004, 02:10 PM
they showed that Sapp vs Hoost match the other night on ESPN

Hoost blasted him with some vicious body shots that put Sapp down, but Sapp eventually knocked Hoost off his feet with a wide looping right hook-looking punch

then Sapp got Hoost in the corner & pummeled him...they stopped the fight, but Sapp broke his hand so Hoost advanced

Hoost then fought Sefo(?) and dislocated his shoulder kickin him

they also showed Carter Williams BLAST Rick Roufus...right, left right, roundhouse to the head....

those were old, but it was nice to see a decent display of skills, save for the goodrich fight, which was poor

Banjos_dad
03-24-2004, 03:57 PM
By coincidence they're showing a K-1 from Las Vegas right now :) Some hard fighting but kind of sloppy. Not like I could soak up abuse like a good k1 guy, but some fighters show more muay thai influence & others are more MMA with almost windmill punches etc.
Michael McDonald's first fight was cool, against this guy Duenas from Spain. First round bell goes: Ding! MM gives him 1...2...3 round house shots in the same place & the guy goes down like a crack hoe...Bam! I think it took less than 10 seconds.