PDA

View Full Version : Bak Mei People

Go Jun Long
03-23-2004, 05:04 PM
I thought I would get others opinions on their forms of Bak Mei. Would you consider your system of Bak Mei to be fast, medium or slow paced? and for Sup Gee, how many movements do you have in that form and if it is done fast, how do you judge if your speed of that form is where it should be? are there any guidelines? Just thought I would ask to start another conversation. Thanks!

TenTigers
03-23-2004, 05:40 PM
When I was taught Bak Mei, I was told that it is practiced only two ways-slow like Tai Chi, and full tilt,bawlz out fast 'n furious. Our sup ji kuen is about 70 somewhat moves-depending on how you count. The diffeence in ours is we don't do ours righty both sides, but righty one way and lefty the other way. From what I've seen, we are the only ones who do it this way. It would seem from all the other posts, that our Bak Mei is probably not as true to form as most, so don't go by me, however, the moves, energy, and mindset are the same. But then again, we don't make any claims to its authenticity either. We simply do it. If others don't like it, oh well. So I guess I'm not in the club.

fiercest tiger
03-24-2004, 02:51 AM
All bak mei is fulltilt unless its a chi kung drill or exercise!:)

YKM sup jee is 54 moves and nothing like man kwong fongs sup jee kuen. If thats the CLC sup jee from hong kong?

I also have sui sup jee thats about 108 moves and Sup Jee that is 108 moves depending on the counting as well that is bak mei pai.

Actually the sup jee of man kwong fongs resemble the ying jow sup jee kol da kuen from, is there any man kwong fong students that can help me out here to clarify?

regards
Garry FT

custom156
03-24-2004, 03:39 AM
"So I guess I'm not in the club."

LOL, neither am I, as we don't have a Sub Jee set.
As for the sets I do 'do' I am in agreement with Rik, slow or fast.

Pakmei
03-29-2004, 01:49 AM
Just to add my contribution to this thread.

The way that I have been taught Pak Mei from my Sifu is that the all the forms are first practised slow and powerful holding each move tight for 4- 5 seconds.

Then you practise the same form again at silly speed with no power to help loosen the muscle and tendons from practising the form previsouly.

After that you practise the form a third time and combining the speed and the power togther to help develop the stopping points and 6 powers, thus creating a more 'sudden' type of speed.

It is the combination of soft and hard that you looking to develop in your Pak Mei. Though speed is important, it is not as important as the suddenness of each move in the form.

This is how I have been taught, which has been passed down via the Chueng Bing Fat lineage.

Just my contribution.

Ou Ji
03-29-2004, 08:19 AM
I don't train Bak Mei but I believe forms should be practiced multiple ways depending on which element you're focusing on (speed, strength, balance, endurance, etc.). Obviously for balance you want to go much slower than you would focusing on speed. The last one should combine all elements. How many ways you want to do it is up to you but 3 seems like a good number. I would agree with Pakmei's post. And this would apply to all styles.

Ao Qin
03-30-2004, 03:37 PM
A nice discussion on several forums!

My approach to BM is that the forms should be practiced as the breathing and technique demands. E.G. GBT - some movements are done with power and with an eye to proper technique & chi-gung (monk disrobes), some techniqes done slowly with power and tension (foo jao's), some done lightning fast (biu sao's). No form should be done with only lightning speed, or you will easily lose the essence. Speed should only come after power and correct technique have been learned and can be applied without mental effort (naturally and intuitively) - that's what I was taught anyway. You can't learn power and technique by practicing with speed alone. It's the other way around. There should also be pauses within the form at certain points - the power has been expressed and there needs to be a brief "transition" / "regeneration" period (less than a breath).

I believe this is probably true for any kungfu style.

Ta - ST

SifuAbel
04-07-2004, 02:00 AM
We have a Pak Mei Set in our tai tzu repetois. Its performed with hard power and slightly faster than moderate speed.

Lowlynobody
04-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Is it done like bak mei? fau chum tun tou, stance, posture, hands? What is it called?

SifuAbel
04-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Pretty much. We called it simply white eybrow, don't know any specific name for it really. I never bothered to ask.