PDA

View Full Version : Re: Metallica - Fade to Black

IronFist
03-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Ok this song was mentioned a little bit ago when someone (Xebby?) posted the lyrics.

For fans of this song, you need to obtain a copy of Sonata Arctica's cover of this song.

It's called:

Sonata Arctica - Fade to Black

You know how a lot of covers suck? This cover kicks my ass!!!

Post your opinions.

bung bo
03-26-2004, 12:32 PM
i've never heard the cover, but we rock the metallica in class a lot.

Oso
03-26-2004, 02:48 PM
HOLY CRAP !!!

That drummer is fast.

Just sampled a few SA from WinMx. Will have to find them in the store.

bungbo, see you on the 7th. Don't miss class, I'll be there Wed and Thur nights. Havn't had a black eye in over 5 months !!! You need to remedy that.

IronFist
03-26-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Oso
HOLY CRAP !!!

That drummer is fast.

I'm glad you liked it.

I've found that a lot of Sonata Arctica's songs are really awesome, but some of them are just ok.

One of my favorite songs by them right now is "Black Sheep." Have you heard that one? I love the part of the solo from 2:33 to 2:38. I mean, the whole solo is awesome, but that part is my favorite.

Oso
03-26-2004, 04:34 PM
just listened to it. dude, you listen in great detail if those 6 seconds meant more than the rest to you. hats off to you.

i think I've decided they remind me a little too much of 80's.

I'll give em a week to sink in.

the drumming is fast and tight which caught me.

just listened to the cover. i prefer the original.

but, hey that's why there's as many bands as there are martial styles.
:)

Xebsball
03-26-2004, 07:41 PM
hey you guys, whats up

i tried to get that cover, but me i havent been able to yet - since me and Kazaa have a deep love/hate relashionship, its real tough for us.

Must i recomend a cover "Solitude" by Cathedral - the original one was from Black Sabbath.

:cool:

IronFist
03-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Oso
just listened to it. dude, you listen in great detail if those 6 seconds meant more than the rest to you. hats off to you.

Assuming you weren't mocking me, I appreciate the complement.

i think I've decided they remind me a little too much of 80's.

Like I said, some of their stuff isn't as good as others. Some of it almost sounded a little too "nu-metal" for me. But a lot of it is good, progressive sounding power metal.

the drumming is fast and tight which caught me.

Are you a drummer?

just listened to the cover. i prefer the original.

Me too. I just think this cover was an awesome version of it. A lot of bands do covers and don't do a good job. SA added their own style to it and I think they did well.

What kind of music (metal) do you usually listen to? What instruments do you play?

Gangsterfist
03-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Metallica died in a plane crash after they recorded and justice for all. Cuz every album after that sucked. Basically after they lost cliff they started going down hill. However, old metallica still rules the earth.

BTW, IronFist-

The man o war quote goes,

"If you are not into metal, you are not my friend"

- Wimps and Posers leave the halls!

I saw man o war live a few years ago, those guys crack me up.

If you want to hear cool metallica covers download some Apocalyptica here is a link

http://www.apocalyptica.com/releases/metallica.php

Gangsterfist
03-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Oh and if you are into the strings cover stuff here are some more string cover bands

Third Eye Open - cover tool songs

Strung Out on OK computer - RaidoHead cover band

Also, if you download some of these guys on a file sharing app (like kazaa, reverse connect etc) you will find a lot of their stuff. A lot of it was never released. Like Apocalpytica also did One, by Metallica but its not on their album.

Here are some cool metal bands to check out (all types of metal):

Nuerosis
Coalesce
Today is the Day
Dillinger Escape Plan
Anything Mike Patton does
Darkest Hour
Isis
Kyuss

Just to name a few...

IronFist
03-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Gangsterfist
BTW, IronFist-

The man o war quote goes,

"If you are not into metal, you are not my friend"

- Wimps and Posers leave the halls!

Actually, in "Return of the Warlord," he says it the way I have it in my sig.

"If you like metal you're my friend."

Gangsterfist
03-27-2004, 12:43 PM
I guess I could be wrong about that version, but the original lyric sheets said its was the way I posted it. I am not sure if I have even heard that version of the song. I'll have to dig out my manowar viynl after I get home from work today and check it out.

BTW, no offense was intended, more of like an FYI, but it seems like we were both right and both wrong lol

IronFist
03-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Yeah, they seem to reuse that lyric :)

Here (http://www.songlyrics4u.com/manowar/return-of-the-warlord.html)'s the lyrics I was talking about. I have that album so I can confirm that's the way he says it.

But I think I also have the album where he says "if you're not into metal, you are not my friend."

Here (http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Metal-warriors-lyrics-Manowar/4F9E3EFD661B0FA84825696500080969) are the those lyrics.

Hehehe.

I like the one I have in my quote the best. Cuz that implies that if someone likes metal, they are your friend. But the other way implies that the ONLY way someone can be your friend is by liking metal. The first way still lets you have friends who don't necessarily like metal :D

Gangsterfist
03-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Gotcha,

Also if you like stringed instruments check out apocalyptica, they do awesome covers of metallica.

Also, watching Man O War live was hilarious. I was like 1 of like 8 people there to see them play.

IronFist
03-27-2004, 05:35 PM
I have an Apocolyptica cd.

What are they like live? I heard that at one show one of their amps blew or something and so they started over cuz they wanted to give the audience the full effect.

I also heard they're pretty nice. I heard about someone who wrote to them saying they couldn't find one of their albums anywhere, and Manowar sent them a copy of the CD for free.

Aren't they also in the Guiness Book of World Records as being the "loudest band ever" or something like that? I don't know how cool that is, tho... my hearing was messed up for a day after I went to a Metallica concert and that was loud enough. And I even wore earplugs for part of that.

Gangsterfist
03-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Well, for one they use amplitheatre speakers in clubs. So its really really loud. They kept trying to get the only 2 girls at the club to flash them while they played. They weren't wearing any of their heavy metal barbarian costumes (which was kind of a disappointment). Each member of the band did their own solo on their instrument (each solo was so metal it pretty much almost destroyed the foundation of the building as they played it). Most of the crowd was there to see this metal band called the Immortals, but I was there to see manowar. They were nice guys and definately played to the crowd. The guitarist was extremely good and I was very humbled when I watched his hands fly up and down his ax. I play guitar (very poorly) and I wish I had like 1/10th of that guys skills.

The tickets were 20 dollars and I would easily pay 20 dollars again to see them live again. The only problem is they only have like 8 tour dates in the U.S. and the rest are in europe.

Oso
03-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Ironfist: not mocking you at all. truly meant it as a compliment. I think I heard what you heard but I personally wouldn't have picked it up w/o someone pointing it out.

Not a drummer or any other type of musician. Played drums for like 2 years in Jr. High but thats it. Years ago I reconciled myself to just being a listener and a reader.

I don't have a preference for any one style of music. I have several of the old Metallica and a couple of older Judas Preist. I like to listen to good hard driving music when I work out or am driving long distances but that could also mean some good fast blue grass as well.

Dream Band:

Brian May, Earl Scruggs, Billy Joel, Fred Wesley & the ***** Horns, Victor Wooten, Carter Beauford.

:D

IronFist
03-28-2004, 12:08 PM
^ Billy Joel is awesome. I don't really know who those other people you mentioned are.

I've got a large collection of different types of metal, so if you ever need a recommendation or suggestion or anything let me know :)

Oso
03-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Brian May

http://www.brianmay.com/

Earl Scruggs

http://www.earlscruggs.com/

Fred Wesley & the H o r n y Horns

http://www.fredwesley.com/default.html

Victor Wooten (wing chunner, btw)

http://www.victorwooten.com/

Carter Beauford

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Venue/9123/carterbeauford/

metal wise what I like is driving bass and drums and minor chords

watcha got?

Oso
03-28-2004, 01:09 PM
ok found one i liked by SA

Mary Lou

IronFist
03-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Oso

metal wise what I like is driving bass and drums and minor chords

watcha got? [/B]

lol thanks for all those links :D

As far as driving bass and drums and minor chords... I'm assuming you want something a little more musically complex than the "nu-metal" that permeates "rock" radio stations? If you're unfamilar with the term "nu-metal," let me define it for you:

Nu-metal: "Hardcore" songs involving simple verses and choruses made up of the same 4 power chords repeating over and over again. Sometimes the choruses will have different chords. Guitar solos are practically non-existant. Vocal talent is often sub-par. Occassionally mixed with some electronic elements (Linkin Park does this). Usually no one in the band has more skill than a 6-month student of their instrument.

Examples: Taproot, Seether, Linkin Park, Staind, etc.

Some bands are a little better than the standard cookie-cutter Nu-Metal formula, like Korn or Disturbed.

Anyway, there's plenty of "driving bass and drums and minor chords" to be found in the nu-metal scene. But I assume you're looking for "real" metal :D

IronFist
03-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Oh, also tell me if you prefer the vocals to be "singing" (as in like, melodic singing) or "screaming" (ranging anywhere from screaming to growling), or a mixture of both.

Oso
03-28-2004, 03:52 PM
I do like Korn and one of my students turned me on to Disturbed and we train to them on a regular basis.

I'll admit to liking Linkin Park but not the others.:D

melodic and screaming both have there time and place.

I'm a big fan of Henry Rollins, btw. Just replaced my two favorite cassettes of his w/ CD's : Weight and Lifetime.

my musical desires vacillate hour by hour sometimes.

I'll go from Ella to Rollins to Suicidal to Billy Joel to Dave Matthews to Green Day to Infectious Groove to Nina Simone to....whatever.

Suicidal and Infectious are also always in my daily cd case.

Oso
03-28-2004, 03:54 PM
actually, Infectious Grooves may sum up what I like to hear most in the metal vein.

IronFist
03-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Oso
I do like Korn and one of my students turned me on to Disturbed and we train to them on a regular basis.

I'll admit to liking Linkin Park but not the others.:D

I also like Korn, Disturbed, and Linkin Park. But that's about it.

Start with "As We Speak" by Soilwork and tell me how you like that.

David Jamieson
03-28-2004, 07:18 PM
k, i dig metal, death metal, hardcore, and yada yada as much as the next guy, but why is this thread stil here and zombie thread moved?

I thought I was NO LONGER a mod here? :D LOL

speaking of which....

zombie link by maddox (http://www.maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=dawn_rules)

nighty night (filmed in toronto by the way)

Xebsball
03-28-2004, 07:26 PM
solitude is a sad sad sad sad sad tune, download it, you maggots

hey, anybody dig Amorphis? Amorphis kicks ass too.

Chang Style Novice
03-28-2004, 07:39 PM
#1 - Apparently our newest member is "Sifu of Puppets"

#2 - for hard & heavy stuff, I prefer punk to metal. Current favorites:

The Fall, Big Black, Wire, Husker Du, Minor Threat, Gang of Four, Stiff Little Fingers, X, Richard Hell and the Voidoids and like that.

Oso
03-28-2004, 08:04 PM
LOL at Sifu of Puppets...aka...SOP.

heh, get this...I just got turned on to Skinny Puppy recently.
somehow I've missed them these past 20 years.

KL: this thread eats zombies.

IF: dug the Soilwork. Will download more.

been busy all day working with video from yesterday's tournament. Film at 11. Had my first ever full contact fight. Needless to say, I'm sore as hell today.

IronFist
03-28-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Oso
IF: dug the Soilwork. Will download more.

Cool. "As We Speak" is an awesome song. I'll suggest more once I have time to look over my playlist. The thing with Soilwork is that a lot of their stuff is really awesome, but some of it is not that good. But I think you're safe with songs from the album that "As We Speak" is on.

Stay tuned for more suggestions.

Toby
03-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Oso
actually, Infectious Grooves may sum up what I like to hear most in the metal vein.
Yeah, Infectious Grooves rock! I loved Groove Family Cyco, but it got stolen and I never got a replacement :mad:.

Originally posted by Ironfist
^ Billy Joel is awesome.
I'm telling your metal friends :D. Billy Joel sucks.

"If you are into Billy Joel, you are not my friend" :D

scotty1
03-29-2004, 03:30 AM
Linkin park, lol:D

Gangsterfist
03-29-2004, 07:09 AM
Sorry I can't listen to aggro rock or rap metal. But to each their own.

Billy Joel is allright, but its all about the Boss.

Chang Style Novice
03-29-2004, 09:44 AM
http://free4.hostrocket.com/~djhalfr/

Metallica's "Black Album" remixed with Jay-Z's "Black Album".

Vash
03-29-2004, 10:03 AM
Adema.