PDA

View Full Version : For The Authors Among Us.

Vash
03-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Okay, back in the "day," I wanted to be a writer. Got a couple of stories/poems/essays published in a college magazine when I was in high school. yay.

Eventually, i got a story published in an actual magazine. Thing is, I got the form letter saying thanks for the submission, you get 10 copies of our magazine, please respond w/shipping for such (wan't a big magazine. It was Science Fiction somethingorother) the same day as I got another form letter, this one telling me that the mag that was running my story just got absorbed into this new company, and they weren't including it on there to-do list, so my story, though appreciated, was no longer up for publication.

Anyway, I kept writing, occassionally getting rejection letters from the peeps at Science Fiction age and the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (the only two magazines that even came close to the stuff I was writing). Sometimes, they weren't form letters. Nifty. So, I started writing for my school newspaper. Came up with a story. Everyone loved it. Was the only thing anyone read, apparently. And most of my school was illiterate. Or something.
Well, story gets canned. Guns was involved (in the story, not the canning).

Well, I've got the whole thingie finished, and am looking to shop it around to some of the better fiction magazines on the market. I'm looking for a publisher who is into a variety of short fiction. Any suggestions?

Oh, btw: GO BUY CONAN (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345461517/qid=1080192599/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/104-2695986-3371116) .

MasterKiller
03-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Just submit it some webzine or something. The odds of it getting into print first time out are against you, and even if it does, most likely you'll get paid in contributor copies and not cash.

Vash
03-25-2004, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I'm much more accustomed to the "thanks, but sorry" letters. Not too concerned about that, or really about making money off of it. It'd just be nice to see a by-line at some point in the future.

Really, I was kinda fishing for some suggestions for particular magazines. I'm sure the two I listed are getting tired of getting the same few manuscripts every couple of months.