PDA

View Full Version : No Need To Be Afraid

MonkeySlap Too
03-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Well, I did a little class at the MMA gym WD attends while I was traveling. Got great reviews from the instructor, and made a good impression all around.

This effectively blows away two myths:

MMA people are all close-minded arrogant punks. (au contraire - they were show me types. and when I did thier eyes got wide)

CMA has nothing to offer MMA. (Although its a big circle 'cause I've seen some of the same moves in Sambo - which has a Boke influence, which is similar to Shuai chiao...the world goes round and round)

I'm tired of CMA guys who won't step up. It's good stuff, lets show the world.

Although it probably helped that I didn't come out saying I was the grand high poo bah, and no other art is as 'true' or ancient. We have a saying in Shuai Chiao - 'the truth is on the mat.' No need to be arrogant or talk smack.

I liked those guys - and honestly they were great martial artists.

Vash
03-26-2004, 05:15 PM
BLASPHEMER!

David Jamieson
03-26-2004, 05:22 PM
your experience sounds eerily similar to my own over the last few years.

sayyyy, you're not me are you? lol

I too have enjoyed all my experiences with mma-ers.

cheers

MonkeySlap Too
03-26-2004, 05:28 PM
It helps that I have an open sparring group I belong to. Most of the common BJJ / Shooto strategies just don't work on me, but I've had plenty of practice to improve my odds. I'm looking forward to see how these guys do in competition with the Shuai Chiao solution to 'jumping the gaurd' - personally I think it will be banned from competition.

Water Dragon
03-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
I'm looking forward to see how these guys do in competition with the Shuai Chiao solution to 'jumping the gaurd' - personally I think it will be banned from competition.

So they've changed their strategy now. Now the game is for them to stay back and play defensive, and then try to shoot. They're trying to avoid a clinch as much as possible. Phuckers :mad:

Chang Style Novice
03-26-2004, 07:57 PM
What means this "jumping the guard"? Is it when you clinch and climb up on the guy, pulling them backward into your guard with your own weight?

And regardless of what jumping the guard is, what's the solution you're using?

Shaolinlueb
03-26-2004, 09:07 PM
those maa guys say i "cant hit there" cause its against the rules or soemthing. since when did fighting have rules? i cant bend fingers blah blah. wussies.

Tiger_Yin
03-26-2004, 09:38 PM
hahah good stuff about the fingers... we learn to snap those little twigs fast :D and its true tho lots fo rules involved but hey on the other hand.. a good fighter can adapt :)

one of my students went to a TKD class not too long ago and the "sempai" asked him what he thought of it after and Seb answered well it wasnt really all that nice so the guy asked to spar and the teacher let them providing they put on equipment. the guy cranked up for a round house and Seb moved in and pushed him down then the guy looks up going hey u cant do that! Student says what?? why not?

gotta love it :D

lkfmdc
03-27-2004, 01:03 AM
In all honesty, while I have respect for the art of BJJ, I have also seen systematically over the years it's tournaments go out of it's way to make things "illegal" that disprove their propoganda, so much so it's silly and stupid.....

MonkeySlap Too
03-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Coach Ross, I have to agree. But on the other hand, they have developed some pretty impressive skills at making you play their game. It's fun to fight against them.

My technique for jumping the gaurd? I'm not telling....until it's used in an upcoming competition.

WD - that's even easier to deal with. Call me. I LOVE 'shooters'.

SevenStar
03-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too

MMA people are all close-minded arrogant punks. (au contraire - they were show me types. and when I did thier eyes got wide)

Most have always been that way - if you can make your stuff work, they respect it.

Serpent
03-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
What means this "jumping the guard"? Is it when you clinch and climb up on the guy, pulling them backward into your guard with your own weight?

^^^
What he said!

SevenStar
03-27-2004, 09:48 PM
One thing you may try is sprawl to ankle pick. It's not mean and nasty, but should get the job done.

SevenStar
03-27-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice

basically.