PDA

View Full Version : Recovery/Training BLOG

Vash
03-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Okay, here's a possible weight training routine I'll be using once I get healthy enough to throw the iron around.

=============================================
[Monday/Thursday]
Upper Body
Clean & Press - 2x8
DB Flye - 2x8
DB Cuban Rotation - 3x12

DB Side-Lying External Rotation - 12
DB Side-Lying Rear Deltoid Raise- 12

Lower Body
DB Hamstrings Curl - 2x8
Internal Oblique Raise w/Cable (or I.O. machine)- 2x8
Fire Hydrant - 2x8
DB Quad Extension - 2x8
DB Calf Raises - 2x8

[Monday/Wednesday/Friday]
Corework
Crunches - 20/10/10
Sit n' Tuck - 10/5/7
Oblique Crunch - 10/5/7 per side
Superman - 10/5/5
=============================================

There's not exactly a whole lot of benchin' going on; it's just not good for my shoulders; I've a muscular imbalance from years of anterior work and almost no posterior training. Heck, I can't even hit more than 15 pushups without the sumbiches achin'. And my bench max was around 245-260, don't feel like diggin' my journal out to check, but it was uncomfortable to workout with more than 150ish. But anyway, enough griping.

No squats/lunges. Being flatfooted, the outside of my legs is much more developed than the inside. I need to pull them friggin' patella's back to where they need to be. And my hammies need quite a bit of development.

Also, I refuse to lift more than twice a week. I noticed that when I trained in that fashion, my gains, whether I was in for hypertrophy or strength, were constant. Plus, I'm not gonna have a whole lotta time.

Anyway, comments/suggestions welcome.

I'm not back into training yet, but when I am, this is gonna be my training blog, complete with weekly pictures (!) of my transformation back to and beyond my previous fitness level.
That being said, pray that my recovery continues to the point where training becomes viable again.

Vash
03-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Sets on Study days = Naihanchi, Sanchin, or Sunsu

Day One:
Warmup: Sanchin, Sanchin in reverse
*General Set work; Basics, Empty Hand sets, Kobujutsu [Tokumine
no Bo, Bo/Bo Kumite (both sides), Chizi kun Bo)

Key Points: More for retention than training. Focus on working broken rhythm.

(Monday=Weights after set work)

Day Two:
Warmup: Set studied, dynamic stretches (light), static stretches
*Single set (kata) work; either Naihanchi, Sanchin, or Sunsu.
*Reverse set; left=right, etc
*Stationary work; one stance, upper body techs/movement
*Stancework; walk through the set, stances/kicks only. upper
body retains guard
Key Points: Work on broken rhythm, don't be
predictable/mechanical
[Class Night: 2 45min Kids class; teach. 1hr+ Adult Class; work

Day Three:
Warmup: 5 3min Rounds, Skipping Rope (going to be relearning how to do this, so don't worry so much about the time)

Corework
Crunches - 10
Sit n' Tuck - 5
Oblique Crunch - 5/side
Superman - 5

Bagwork
Upper Body Basics; various application [footwork, et al]

Cooldown
Sunsu, Sunsu in reverse

Key Points: Don't worry about rounds, just focus on *****uchi, footwork, broken rhythm in application of techs

Day Four:

body retains guard
predictable/mechanical
[Class Night: 2 45min Kids class; teach. 1hr+ Adult Class; work]

(Thursday = Weights [sans abwork] in the morning, Set practice in afternoon, class at night)

Day Five:

body retains guard
predictable/mechanical

Corework
Crunches - 10
Sit n' Tuck - 7
Oblique Crunch - 7/side
Superman - 5

Day Six:
Kata/Application Class from 9am-10am.

After Class:
Bagwork: Upper Body Basics, Applications/Techs from Sunsu & Naihanchi.

Key Points: Don't worry about speed, endurance training; that will come later. Focus on *****uchi, proper footwork.

Day Seven:
Xing Yi Nei Gong
Dynamic and Static stretching
Active rest

Schedule will be flexible enough to drop/move days to prevent overtraining. No more "it's gotta be done or I'm lazy sh!t," training is gonna be smarter, not harder.

After having read Zen Shaolin Karate, I will be incorporating detailed study of Sanchin kata into my training.

Vash
03-28-2004, 01:13 PM
Every Morning:
Xing Yi Nei Gong, exercises 4, 7, 8, 10, 11
Static stretching
Sanchin, w/o heavy muscle tension. Focus on waking up and warming the body.

Sunday Training:
All Xing Yi Nei Gong exercises, once in the morning, once in the afternoon.

Ka
03-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Hows the Xing Yi matching with Sanchin,do you find it compatible?

How about adding
Iron Cross and Bent Press
Core
Saxons Side Press and Full Contact Twist,V ups(reall ones, not scrappers) instead of oblique and sit and tuck

I know you said no Squats but how about an Overhead squat (very light weight) with a small fitt ball under your butt.

See what you think.

Vash
03-28-2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions; I'll keep those in mind.

I've yet to actually implement any of the regimens I've prescribed myself; I'm just planning ahead at this point.

I'd practiced the Nei Gong along with Sanchin before my injury; I found no problems working the two together. However, I was not doing the typical Sanchin, it was more of a relaxed, light set as opposed to the hard tension usually associated with it.

As for the squats, it's not the weight, the position of such, or the type of support I have; it's the position of my kneecaps in relation to the rest of the leg. They're off to the side due to a rather large discrepency between the quadricep's development and that of the VMOs. In my physical therapy exercises, I do squat with bodyweight. My legs are slightly wider than normal, and my feet are turned out a good bit. But, aside from my karate (which has thus far proved beneficial for my knees), only isolation-type movements are used to build those jokers back up.

Funny story; my knees were fine for a while. Had to stop doing the PT, as that irritated the joints. So, started doing weights on them again. Eventually, the knees decided they didn't like this, so they rebelled once more. Then, took my BB test, became injured, and now I am in this state. So, suffice it to say, my training will revolve around the reclaimation and eventual maintenance of my joint health. As beneficial as squats may be to my body, and bench press to my chest, I wish to be able to throw snapping kicks and vertical punches when I am 80 (which, for my family, is just that side of middle age). I will miss being an athlete of the same level I was, but even with the limitations of two types of exercises being barred me, I can still reclaim and maintain a not-too-shabby level of fitness.

Oh, as for the abwork, I'll need to stick to that plan for a little bit. Since my injury was a chest/abdomen one, I want to be extra careful in my training in that area.

I shall get back to where I was, and then I will go past it. But first, I have to get to the point where all that starting starts. God will provide, but I gotta be patient for now, despite the fact that I am dreaming nightly of Clean & Press, and training clients at the gym.

Now, let's see if I can get some sleep.

Ka
03-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Sounds a heavy slog,good value ,stay motivated.
I still say consider V ups.
So tension is not an emphasis with the Sanchin you practise?Sounds a good mix.

Vash
03-30-2004, 07:23 AM
heavy? Yeah, I guess. That's one of my lighter workouts, comparing it to what I was up to a year and a half ago. But, I guess it's better to train smarter than harder.

My Sanchin will have full-body tension . . . just not that hard, pop your eyes out your head kinda thing. Light tension, though. And the breathing will be deep and soft, nothing forced.

Thanks for the good words. Peace.

Vash
04-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Strong and Healthy Shoulders!!! (http://www.t-mag.com/html/body_145shldr.html)

I'm sooo going to incorporate this into my recovery workout, and probably into most of my workouts after that. I used these to help my shoulders a long time ago (not from this page, but the same techniques) and they are the bomb. If anyone is like me, and has spent years building up the anterior whilst ignoring the posterior, then you can appreciate the problems which arise.

God bless Health. Dang, I'm still chomping at the bit to go to the gym and do some iron throwing and some karate.

Vash
07-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Well, I've done a pretty dang decent karate training regimen 'bout every day since Sunday. I'm convinced my chest is ready for the real deal in regards to training. All I've to do now is get back the strength in my chest, and I'm golden. Please ignore the routines I posted earlier. That was me brain storming. This is what's going on for the next two weeks.

I'll be lifting twice weekly, Mon and Thurs. Here's my schedule:

{Done on 7:12.04}
Upper Body
DB Cuban Rotation: 2x12 @ 10, 15lbs
DB Bench Press: 2x8 @ 25, 25lbs
DB Reverse Flye: 2x8 @ 15, 10lbs
DB Lateral Raise: 2x8 @ 10, 10lbs
DB Forearm Work (3 Random Exercises, 2x8) 15, 20lbs

Lower Body
Waiter's Bow: 2x8 @ 25, 35lbs
Glute/Ham Raise: 2x8 @ BW, BW [drop]
DB Calf Raises: 2x8 @ 70, 90lbs (DB in each hand)
DB Tibialis Anterior Curl: 2x8 @ 25, 25lbs [drop]

Core
Crunches: 2x25
Oblique Crunches: 2x25/each
Roman Chair: 2x8 @ BW, 25lbs

I'm starting out light, nothing really ballistic, overly taxing. Wanna take care of getting my joints balanced. I'll edit in my results with this workout on Monday.

Wish I could cut out some of the stuff here, but I can't do Squats (prbably ever again), and I'm not comfortable with Deads, Cleans, Overhead Walks, or Chinups yet. Gonna try to plug some in on next half of cycle.

Yay! I got to throw the iron today! Overall, I was happy with my performance. After next week, including DLs and replacing DB Reverse Flye with Cable Reverse Flye.

I'm alive again. It's good :)

Vash
07-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Please note that on all my pics, my right side of my stomach, chest has a "marbled" style bruise. That's from the ripped muscles. Don't pick at that. It'll never heal ;)

Vash
07-11-2004, 05:24 PM

Vash
07-11-2004, 05:41 PM

Vash
07-11-2004, 06:39 PM

Toby
07-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Vash
... I'm not comfortable with Deads, Cleans, Overhead Walks, or Chinups yet.What does "not comfortable" mean? 'Cause I'm thinking now might be a good time to get comfortable considering you're coming back from injury. I.e. it'll give you a good opportunity to work light weights while recovering and build technique. Of course, this is based on the premise that "not comfortable" doesn't mean "will cause further injury".

Good luck with the recovery.

Vash
07-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Right now, the muscle is still relatively weak, creating a strength/development imbalance even in the left and right sagittal planes of the rectus abdominus.

I'm going to work the aforementioned lifts in on my second 2-week cycle, with pretty low weight (compared to my old numbers). Right now, I wanna get a really basic cycle going, just to get my out-of-shape @$$ into the idea of training again.

Vash
07-11-2004, 08:10 PM

Vash
07-11-2004, 08:11 PM

Vash
07-11-2004, 08:13 PM

Vash
07-11-2004, 08:30 PM
all I did this week:

stretching
karate
balanced diet

Vash
07-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Thursday 7-15-04

DB Bench: 2x8 @ 25s, 20s
DB Romanian Deadlift: 2x8 @ 40s, 35s
DB Reverse Flye: 2x12 @ 10s, 10s
1-Arm Scarecrow: 2x12 @ 10, 10
Side Lying DB External Rotation: 2x12 @ 5, 5
Side Lying DB Rear Deltoid Raise: 2x12 @ 5, 5
DB Shrugs: 2x8 @ 35s, 40s
DB Alternating Biceps Curl: 2x8 @ 20s, 20s
DB Triceps French Press: 2x8 @ 30
Forearms: 2x8(x3) 15, 20
Side Lying Plate Adduction: 2x30 @ 5
Swiss Ball Roll: 2x12
Lying Straight Leg Raise: 2x30
DB Calf Raise: 2x8 @ 35s, 40s

Time: 5:35am - 6:45am; 70min

Warmup: 3 Staff Forms, Kusanku, Chinto, light general stretching
Cooldown: Sanchin, Naihanchi, Sunsu, Hakutsuru, light general stretching

I enjoyed it.

Trying to work some physical therapy-type techniques into my weight training to correct a muscular imbalance. Still do the PT every day (except day after lifts), as it uses only 2.5lbs per leg

Low back still not used to posture, starting to misbehave because of karate; need to look into using martial arts shoe with one heal support for classes. Will talk to instructor tonight, see if that's kosher.

Vash
07-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Missed making pics yesterday, I'll do it today.

Upper Body
1 Arm Scarecrow: 2x12 @ 10, 10
Rear Delt. Raise: 2x12 @ 5, 5
Ext. Rotation: 2x12 @ 5, 5
DB Bench: 2x6 @ 25s, 25s
DB Clean & Jerk: 2x8 @ 25s, 25s
DB Reverse Flye: 2x8@ 15s, 10s
Shrugs: 2x8 @ 35s, 40s
DB Biceps Curl: 2x8 @ 25s, 25s
DB French Press: 2x8 @ 35, 40
Forearms: 2x8(x3) 20s, 15s

Lower Body:
Physical Therapy Techniques + Calf Raise
Sidelying Plate Adduction: 2x30 @ 10, 10
Swiss Ball Roll (Hamstrings): 2x12 @ bw, bw
Calf Raise: 2x8 @ 45s, 50

Core
Slant Board: 25
Slant Board Crunches: ?
Russian Twist: 1 [partial]
Hanging Knee Raise: 12, 13
Roman Chair: 2x8
Bicycle: 2x25

Warmup
Kusanku, Chinto, 3 Bo sets, light static + dynamic stretches

Cooldown
Hakutsuru, light stretches

5:41am - 6:52am

Played around with abs today. Rectus abdominus very weak near origin, puts stress on low back. Need to correct said imbalance.

Need to reincorporate DB Lateral Raises; help with shoulders.

Didn't mess with obliques much, will do light set on wed, maybe fri. Probably need to lose a few pounds/fat before should continue with oblique crunches much.

BW: 190. Switched to 6-7 meals/day. Home fried food once a week, no takeout at all. Using GNC Mega MRP for shakes, one or two meals a day. Drinking a lot of water. Don't seem to have as much fat around midsection as two weeks ago, looking leaner.

I like my progress so far. Will continue to experiment for next few workouts, then changing cycle. Need to lose a few sets somewhere. Probably drop PT from workout, get a ball for home for separate PT.

Need to work on suck-ass form of Clean and Jerk. Blame problem on abs, lack of training. Keep weight light till I get the groove.

As an aside, I saw the worst bench form ever this morning. Dude had a weight belt on doing bench. He loaded the bar up with 205, then drove the bar up, keeping only his head, flat neck, and air on the bench. On the negative, he brought the bar 2 inches above his chest. And he was helping teach a kid how to lift. Horrible stuff.

Take off the belts, focus on form, you *******es.

Anyway, I had fun, feel like I learned something, feel the workout was beneficial.

Vash
07-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Enjoy!

Vash
07-19-2004, 06:12 PM
n/m

Vash
07-19-2004, 06:13 PM
too sexy!

Vash
07-19-2004, 06:14 PM
had to get pics a day late, but I don't think that makes much of a difference.

Current: 5' 8", 190lbs

need to get some calipers.

IronFist
07-19-2004, 09:04 PM
I didn't see your starting weight.

Vash
07-19-2004, 09:23 PM
Actually, it was 190, too. And I'd lost about five pounds around week two. I dunno what the dilly is.

I'm controlling my diet (6 meals a day: 2 shakes, a whole-wheat turkey sammich, a salad with tuna and a tablespoon of italian dressing, Total cereal for breakfast, and small dinner, non-fried, non-takeout, under 500 calories).

I'm happy with the progress so far, though . . . even though I've decided to go ahead with a Thermogenic.

Serpent
07-19-2004, 11:12 PM
What's with the little yellow dude on the floor on the pics!?

Also, you're holding your gut in on the week three pics. No cheatin'! ;)

Toby
07-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
What's with the little yellow dude on the floor on the pics!?Lol! That's his Dolly. Vash never goes anywhere without his Dolly ... :eek:

Serpent
07-19-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Toby
Lol! That's his Dolly. Vash never goes anywhere without his Dolly ... :eek:
I always thought it would be bigger.....

Vash
07-20-2004, 07:20 AM
The yellow dude is a scuba toy. I swear.

I'm not holding in my gut (much ;)), the right and left sides of my abs look different. When I do a crunch, the left side does the normal shortening thing, but the right side kind sinks in near the origin, but up by the insertion (where I was injured), it kinda "swells out." That's funny, though, considering I'm weaker down low on the rectus abdominus.

See? Perfectly logical and believable excuse :)

Serpent
07-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Nice try scuba-boy.

Vash
07-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Upper Body
1 Arm Scarecrow: 2x12 @ 10, 10

Rear Deltoid Raise: 2x12 @ 5, 5
External Rotation: 2x12 @ 5, 5

[bb]Hanging Clean and Press: 2x8 @ 45, 55
[db]Bench Press: 2x6 @ 25s, 25s
Reverse Flyes: 2x8 @ 10s, 15s
Shrugs: 2x8 @ 35s, 40s

Alt. Biceps Curl: 2x8 @ 25s, 25s
DB French Press: 2x8 @ 35, 40

Forearms: 2x8(x3) @ 15s, 20s

Lower Body
Lying Plate Adduction: 2x30 @ 10, 10
Swiss Ball Roll: 2x12 @ bw, bw

Roman Chair (low back): 2x10 @ bw, bw

Vash
07-26-2004, 07:04 AM
Upper Body
1 Arm Scarecrow: 2x12 @ 15
--
Internal Rotation: 2x12 @ 10, 5
External Rotation: 2x12 @ 10, 5
-
Hanging Clean and Press: 2x8 @ 50, 65
Roman Chair: 2x10 @ bw, bw+10lbs plate
Reverse Flyes: 2x8 @ 15s, 15s
Shrugs: 2x8 @ 40s, 45s
--
Incline Alt. Curl: 2x8 @ 25s, 25s
Cable Triceps Pressdown w/Rope: 2x8@ 100, 100
-
Forearms: 2x8(x3) @ 20, 20

Lower Body
Calf Raise: 2x8 @ 50s, 50s
Lying Plate Adduction: 2x30 @ 10, 10
Swiss Ball Roll: 2x12 @ bw, bw

Core
Slant Board Crunch: 10, 5, 10
Hanging Knee Raise: 10, 10, 5
Swiss Ball Crunch: 10, 5, 10
Plank: 21 seconds, 9 seconds
Oblique Crunches: 10/side

Vash
07-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Upper Body
--
DB External Rotation: 2x12 @ 10, 10
DB Internal Rotation: 2x12 @ 10, 10
--
Romanian Deadlift: 2x8 @ 80, 100
Roman Chair: 2x9 @ BW, +10lbs
DB Lateral Raise: 2x8 @ 10, 10
--
Hammer Curl: 2x8 @ 25s, 25s
Kickback: 2x8 @ 15, 15
--
Forearms: 2x8(x3) @ 15, 20

Lower Body
Lying Plate Adduction: 2x30 @ 10
Swiss Ball Rolls: 2x12
Calf Raise: 2x8 @ 100, 110

Abs
Slant Board Crunch: 5, 5, 10, 5
Hanging Knee Raise: 10, 10
Swiss Ball Crunch: 5, 10, 5, 10, 10, 5, 5
Plank: 30 seconds
Swiss Ball Raise: 10, 10

Going to focus on development of back, rotator cuff, and posterior deltoids for the next few weeks. Also going to have main focus on DL and Powerclean. Next friday, start using thermogenic, probably Thermo Burst, Hot Rox, or Red Bands.

I've a good diet/training regimen going, but I'm going to start training clients within the next two-three months, and I want to look like I know what I'm doing, and I want to be able to at least demonstrate basic exercises, such as the bench. Squat is not going to be an option.

I love this training thang.

God rules. That is all.

Vash
08-11-2004, 07:57 PM
I've been overtraining.

*whew* Feels good to get that off my sore-as-all-hell chest. Anyway, I've been slacking off on this thread (got the IronTrainer 2 demo, and been foolin' with it - buy it, by the way). So, starting monday, I'll begin posting pics and workouts again. For real. I know you're interested.

I'm cutting my # of lifts per workout in half. Don't worry for me, though. They are, for the most part, compound lifts. I've followed a very similiar schedule before with great muscle and strength gains.

I'm dropping the Hot-Rox until I put on a bit more weight. Right now, I see it's going to get hella hard to maintain my weight, what with me being 100% and ever'thing..

Without further adue, here's my next cycle:

2x6 Revenge
---------------------------------------------------------------------
(Physical Therapy every morning previous to workouts)

Monday

--
Lying Internal Rotation: 2x12
Lying External Rotation: 2x12
--

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Chin-Up: 2xfailure
Clean: 2x6
Pull and Catch: 2x8
Calf Raise: 2x6

Slant Board: 5x5
Hanging Knee Raise: 5x5
Swiss Ball Crunch: 5x5
Swiss Ball Oblique Crunch: 5x5
Plank: 60 seconds

Tuesday

Karate, +classes (two kids, adult)

Wednesday

Crunches: 2x5
Russian Twist: 2x5

Thursday

--
One-Arm Scarecrow: 2x12
Standing Internal/External Rotation: 2x12
--

Deadlift: 2x6
Bent-Over Row: 2x6
--
Pressdown: 2x6
Biceps Curl: 2x6
--

Karate classes (two kids, adult)

Friday

Slant Board Russian Twist: 3x5
Hanging Knee Raise: 3x5
Hanging Oblique Crunch: 3x5
Swiss Ball Crunch: 3x5

As much karate as can do willingly

Saturday
Karate, Karate, Karate

Sunday
Only stretch

Vash
08-16-2004, 07:44 PM
5:30am - 6:13am : 43minutes

--
Lying Internal Rotation: 2x12 @ 15, 15
Lying External Rotation: 2x12 @ 10, 10
--

Machine-Assisted Chinup: 2x4 @ 70lbs, 100lbs [assist]
Powerclean - Hanging: 2x6 @ 75, 85
DB Pull & Catch: 2x8 @ 35, 40
DB Calf Raise: 2x6 @ 65s, 70s (130, 140)

Slant Board Crunches: 5x5 @ bw, +5, bw, +5, bw
Swiss Ball Twisting Crunches: 5x5
Plank: 2x30seconds

Warmup: All 8 empty hand forms
Cooldown: Sanchin, Naihanchi, Sunsu

=========================================

Now doing full-body stretches and physical therapy (knees - VMO) previous to workouts. However, I don't count them as part of the warmup or workout.

Felt good. Still weighing in at 200lbs. Dropped a bit more fat.

Did about 1.5 hours karate outside today. Considering the weather, I'd say that's an accomplishment. had to stop to get some gatorade after every form.

Tired. Sleepy. Stuff to do.

Practice = Peace

Vash
08-23-2004, 09:57 AM
5:57-6:36am (39min)

--
1 Arm Scarecrow: 2x12 - 15, 20
Standing Internal/External Rotation: 2x12 - 15, 20
--

Deadlift (from floor): 2x6 - 115, 165; 1x4, 1x3 - 185
Bent Over Row: 2x6 - 115, 135
--
Pressdown (w/rope grip): 1x5 - 150; 1x6 - 130; 1x3, 2, 1 - 130
Alt. DB Curl: 2x6 - 25s, 30s
--

Reverse Hypers (RH equipment): 2x8 - bw

Vash
08-23-2004, 10:08 AM
--
Lying Internal Rotation: 2x12 - 15, 15
Lying External Rotation: 2x12 - 10, 10
--

Machine-Assist. Chinup: 1x3 (-50), 1x4 (-80)
Powerclean (from floor): 3x6 - 80, 95, 115
DB Pull & Catch: 2x8 - 40, 50
Pressdown (rope): 2x6 - 120, 140

Slant Board: 5x5 - +10lbs, bw, +10lbs, bw, +10lbs
Swiss Ball Oblique Crunches: 5x5

====================================

Clean an' pressed the 115, felt some crunch in my shoulders. Not an injury, mind you, just something them *****es like to do. Probably never going to go away. So, no more press after clean.

Knees decided they still aren't ready for the squat-type movements required for the clean and deadlift, so am gonna switch back to cleaning from the hang and romanian deads until the physical therapy corrects the problem. I forsee that happening within 8 months. Am gonna stick with current form on Pull and Catch, though. I can augment the stance such to allow for full ROM without stressing the quads.

Usually, I'd be at the gym right now, doing some crotty. But, as I mentioned before, knees are unhappy, so am gonna lay off today.

On the nutrition front, am sticking with the Hot-Rox as my bodyweight is at 205, and I have no desire to see 210. It's mostly muscle, mind you (this is the most muscle mass I've ever had), but I would like to maintain around 180-200lbs. Dietary changes have been made to achieve this end.

Not gonna be taking pictures again until I get a good camera. The one I've been using makes that visible tracking of lymphatic fluid around my abs/ribs look ****ing contagious.

So, all's well. No karate today (knees feel funky as ****), but I'm in good spirits.

peace

Vash
09-03-2004, 03:20 PM
1 Armed Scarecrow: 2x12 - 15, 15
1 Arm Cable Abduction: 2x12 - 30, 30

Deadlift: 2x6 - 165, 185 ; 2x1 - 205 ; 1x2 - 205
Bent Over Row: 1x6 - 135 ; 1x3 - 155 (grip failure)
Single Leg Hyperextensions (aka the Titanic): 2x8 - BW

Slant Board: 3x5 - BW, 2x5 - +10lbs
Hanging Oblique Raise: 5x5

Vash
09-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Scarecrow: 2x12 - 15, 15
Cable Abduction: 2x12 - 30, 30

Assisted Chinup: 3 (50), 4 (80)
DB Pull and Catch: 2x8 - 45, 55
Powerclean (hang): 2x6 - 95, 115
Triceps Pressdown: 2x6 - 130, 150

Slant Board: 3x5 - +10 ; 2x5 - BW
HKR: 5x5
HOR: 5x5
SBC: 5x5

Vash
09-03-2004, 03:29 PM
External DB Rotation: 2x12 - 15, 15
Internal DB Rotation: 2x12 - 10, 10

Bent Over Row: 1x6 - 185 ; 2x6 - 155, 165
Deadlift: 2x6 - 190, 210
Titanic: 2x8

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I've determined a few things:

First, powercleans are OUT. My knees are getting the idea it's okay to **** with me. It AIN'T. Therefore, I'll be switching to a non-power variation with a press.

Second, Dips and Pullups are bad for my chest. I'm just getting back into training, and though they don't "injure" me outright, I feel a very negative reaction in the injury's area. And, on the advice of 15 months and 8 days of lethargy and gimpness, I will not **** with the aforementioned exercises. Guess I gotta figger something else out.

Going to get hypnotized Sunday to take care of pain/stiffness in injury area. Not taking chances.

Gym's closed Monday, so hafta use my old (and my brother's current) selection of 161lbs of concrete weights and a crappy bar to workout. Oh, the possibilities :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Vash
09-11-2004, 11:47 AM
External Rotation w/Weight Plate: 2x12 - 10, 10

Deadlift: 4x3 - 146lbs
Bent Over Row: 4x6 - 146
Waiter's Bow: 3x8 - 20

Super Crunches: 5x5
Oblique Crunches: 5x5
Hip Thrust: 5x5
1/2 Tabata Crunches (20 seconds on, 10 seconds off): 18, 20, 16, 29

Not a particularly productive workout. Oh, well.

Vash
09-11-2004, 11:59 AM
--
Scarecrow: 2x12 - 15, 15
Cable Adduction: Left 1x6 - 30; 1x9 - Right
Left 1x7 - 30; 1x8 - Right
--

Deadlift: (warmup) 1x6 - 135, 155
1x3 - 225 (grip failure, used straps on subsequent lifts)
2x6 - 225
2x6 - 245

Bent Over Row: (warmup) 1x6 - 135, 155
2x6 - 175, 195

Calf Raise w/Shrug: 2x6 - 70 DBs (140 total)

Slant Board: 3x5 - BW, 2x5 - +10lbs

Very much enjoyed this workout. Was happy with pulling 245 for 2x6.

Am going to drop the powercleans :( They're just hell on my knees. Will be doing a pull and press, though. I love the Clean, and never want to be without something at least resembling it in my workouts. The DB Pull and Catch is a permanent staple, as well.

Vash
09-18-2004, 03:04 PM
-[superset]-
Internal Rotation: 2x12 - 20, 20
External Rotation: 2x12 - 15, 15
-[\superset]-

Assist. Pullup: 3x4 - 70, 70, 70 [assist. weight]
Pull & Press: 3x4 - 65, 65, 95
DB Pull & Catch: 3x4 - 55, 60, 65
1 Leg GM: 3x4 - BW

Slant Board: 3x5 - 10lbs, 2x5 - BW
Super Crunch: 5x5

Drop Pull and Press, 1 Leg GM. Start on Mon:

Romanian DL
Weighted Hyperextension (Glute/Ham Raise)

Vash
09-18-2004, 03:10 PM
--
Db Scarecrow: 2x12 - 20, 20
Cable Adduction: 1x9 [L] 30, 1x12 [R] 30; 1x7 [L] 30, 1x10 [R] 30
--

Deadlift: [Warmup: 1x6 - 135, 1x6 - 155]
1x4 - 240
1x4 - 250
1x4 - 260

Bent Over Row: [Warmup: 2x6 - 135, 145]
1x4 - 155
1x4 - 165
1x4 - 170

DB Calf Raise/Shrug: 1x4 - 75s (150), 2x4 - 80s (160)

1 Leg DL: 3x4 - 45

Tabata Crunches: 23, 23, 16, 13, 11, 18, 11, 20

Drop 1 Leg DL. Add Weighted hyperextension.

Vash
09-20-2004, 05:24 PM
6:32 - 7:24

--
--

Assisted Pullup: 3x4 - 70, 60, 60
Romanian DL: 3x4 - 135, 155, 165 (Going light, feel off)
DB Pull and Catch: 3x4 - 60, 65, 70
Weighted Hyperextension: 3x4 - +10, +25, +25

Slant Board: 3x5 - +10, 2x5 - BW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Felt off on RDL. Something fishy going on there.

Going to add in Mini-Squats to Thurs. work, next week. Need to start on direct leg training. Probably use Smith Machine to grab, control - reverse wall squat.

Vash
09-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Scarecrow: 2x12 - 20, 20
Cable Adduction: L: 30, 30 - 12, 7; R: 30, 30 - 12, 12

Deadlift: (warmup) 1x6 - 135, 1x6 - 155
1x4 - 270
1x4 - 280
1x4 - 290

Bent Over Row: (warmup) 1x6 - 135, 1x6 - 145
3x4 - 160, 170, 180

DB Calf Raise/Shoulder Shrug: 3x4 - 80s, 80s, 80s

Weighted Hyperextension: 3x4 - 25, 25, 25

Tabata Crunch: 19, 17, 20, 12, 11, 10, 11, 19

=========================================

After next week, switching to Tabata-style full-body workouts. Probably be Assisted Pullups, Pull & Catch, Mini-Squats (PT exercise), Hyperextensions (I'm relatively certain I'll cry during that one).

If I can make a full week of it, going hamstring/VMO heavy. half the workout geared towards hammies and inner thighs. Probably have stance training in there somewhere. Of course, since my workouts generally consist of 4-5 lifts, half doesn't seem like so much.

Vash
10-03-2004, 06:22 PM
--
--

Pull and Catch (P&C): 3x4 - 60, 60, 60
Assisted Pullup (APU): 3x4 - 60, 60, 60
Romanian DL (RDL): 3x4 - 135, 145, 155
Hyper: 3x4 - 25, 25, 25

Slant Board (SB): 3x5 - +10, 2x5 - bw
Hanging Knee Raise (HKR): 5x5
Swiss Ball Crunch (SBC): 5x5
Super Crunch (STC): 5x5

---------------------------------------------------------

Elbow felt funny; took it easy on P&C and RDL.

Vash
10-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Scarecrow (SC): 2x12 - 15, 20
Cable Adduction: (CA): L - 2x12 - 30; R - 2x12 - 30

Waiter's Bow: 3x4 - 35, 45, 45
Mini Squat (MS): 3x4
Deadlift (DL): [warmup = 2x6 - 135, 155]
295x4
305x4
315x4

Bent Over Row (BOR): [warmup = 2x6 - 135, 155]
160x4
175x4
185x4

Hyper: 3x4 - 25, 35, 35

SB: 5x5 - 10
SBC - Tabata: 18, 20, 12, 20, 12, 18, 17, 20

This week, two Tabata workouts, regular ab routines.
Next week, focus on hams, inner thighs.

Vash
10-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Hokay, did a (partial) Tabata workout today. Here's what it looked like:

IR: 2x12 - 20, 20
ER: 2x12 - 15, 15

8x20sec w/10sec between each set

P&C: 50lbs - 7, 6
45lbs - 6, 6
40lbs - 8, 6
35lbs - 8, 7

Took 60 seconds to get a sip of water, hold back vomit

Hyperextension: 35lbs - 8
25lbs - 10
10lbs - 8
BW - 8

Had to stop. My back and hams wouldn't curl anymore. 'Bout passed out/vomited at the same time. Went to abs.

SB: 3x5 - 10; 2x5 - bw
STC: 5x5

One more Tabata workout this week; using DB Swings and probably Bent-Over Rows. If I don't post again, you know why.

Vash
10-09-2004, 01:22 PM
SC: 2x12 - 15, 20
CA: 30lbs - L: 12, 12; R: 12, 12

[Tabata]
DB Swings: 30 - 9, 10
35 - 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 009

Tried Bent Over Rows, could barely lift the bar [155] So, fug that. Went to vomit, then did abs.

Sb: 5x5 - +10

Switching over to a knee-intensive training protocol (thanks for the link abobo) for the next 6 weeks.

Gonna get Vash's knees moving like well-oiled hinge joints in no time (or six weeks, or whatever).