PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Dummy Arms

Highlander
06-01-2001, 12:26 AM
I just finished reading the article on the E-zine by Philip Holden about the wooden dummy. In the article he says "The end of the arm(s) represents the elbow, not the hand". If I am interpreting this correctly, then that would mean that the arms represents the upper arms only. This doesn't seem correct to me as I don't think I would try and bong sau the upper arm. Am I interpreting this statement wrong? What do you think the arms represent?

Sharky
06-01-2001, 01:00 AM
good question, considering the statement....

Edd

My anus is superior

old jong
06-01-2001, 01:44 AM
I,m sure you could do something about your signature...In respect for all the other anus! :D
As for the dummy arms.Think of it as a tool,not a person.It is a device to get a good alignment toward a real opponent.It is not some kind of "manequin" with accurate human figures. ;)

Old jong and cie LTD.(TM)

kungfu cowboy
06-01-2001, 10:50 AM
It probably represents either an elbow or a hand depending on what you're working on.

jameswebsteruk
06-01-2001, 11:28 AM
Yep, under the WSL method, we are taught that the dummy arm is the elbow, because if we control the opponents elbow, we control the person.

We aim to avoid contact with the opponents hands and wrists, the last thing we want is contact with a wrist, as that gives minimal control and feeling of the opponents intention. If you bong for example, the closer the contact point to the elbow, either on the forearm or upper arm, the more control you have.

I dont know whether we have to think of it as the actual representation of an upper arm. More a variable contact point?

We are taught that the left and right arms of the dummy do not necessarily always represent the left and right arms of the opponent, the representation depending on the move being practiced. Like all of the forms, it is about teaching concepts rather than techniques.

JasBourne
06-01-2001, 04:32 PM
We're taught not to think of the dummy as an anatomic representation, but simply as a training aid, much like a heavy bag is for a boxer.

The concepts include proper mind intention, body sensitivity, how to move our bodies around a fixed point in space, shifting lines of attack, facing, etc. An extremely complex form, I look forward to mastering it one of these years :)