PDA

View Full Version : Did a KB workout (kinda)

IronFist
03-28-2004, 03:01 PM
So I'm at my new gym now where they have the kettlebells. Yesterday after my bench workout I just did two sets of 5 KB cleans or snatches or something with the 1 pood. You start like a DL with the KB between your legs and then explode up and end with the KB above your head locked out, and the KB flips over your arm. Whatever that exercise is called, that's what I was doing.

Anyway, I only did one set of 5 for each arm, cuz I was just kinda playing around, but today I have a new soreness I've never felt before. It's like the muscles on either side of your spine, but only the middle of my back. I mean, if I don't DL for a while and then I go DL I'll get sore on those muscles, but in that case it's my lower back. This is weird because it's like my middle back.

I'm almost thinking I did something wrong because it almost feels like an injured muscle as opposed to a sore muscle. Sore back muscles never have quite the same feeling as like sore pecs or sore quads to me, but this is still different.

So you guys who KB, is what I'm feeling normal?

I'll have to watch the KB video to see some exercises and see maybe what I was doing wrong.

fa_jing
03-28-2004, 06:47 PM
I got soreness in that area when I began. Soreness that took 2-3 days to go away. I'm assuming your back is straight because you deadlift - but do make sure that you do not lean back. Also, tense your abs at the bottom when you are pulling/swinging

Ka
03-28-2004, 09:28 PM
You did warm up the back yeah?
Most of the KB power work is very intensive on Transversospinalis group,Longissimus group and the transversus abdominis(Erector Spinae,ok everything related to spinal control).

I certinly found a whole new range of muscle soreness when starting with KBs,but same thing when starting with pommel horse.I would say its related to stablizers around the spine(ahh Duh!!!).I would like to say that I don't think Snatches are a good thing to start off on, if it is your first workout with KBs?
Injury or soreness is your call.

Ford Prefect
03-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Not uncommon at all. just make sure the back stays straight/arched. It's easier to let it go rounded with the KB's when they are decending from the top position. I've found this to be especially so when I'm snatching the 2 pood one. I hear ya though. My shoulders are sorer than they've been for a while because I decided to do strip-set circuits this Saturday. My grip and arms were so fried I couldn't even do 4 unweighted pull-ups in a row when I got to them!

IronFist
03-29-2004, 10:16 AM
^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure back back was arched enough cuz of all the squatting and deadlifting I do.

As for your shoulders, that's why I'm hesitant to do much with KBs. I don't need any more shoulder development until the rest of my body catches up. So, I'm trying to learn the least shoulder-intensive KB exercises there are.

fa_jing
03-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Well as I said before, you probably want to stay away from the presses, but developing OH and ballistic strength won't add much size to your shoulder.

Snatches with a 1 pood are fine. Your front delt is virtually not involved, if you do it with correct form it's all legs and back and grip. If anything, some people have a problem managing the flip over the forearm. Basically you only want to snatch it just high enough, otherwise it will over-rotate and hit your forearm hard. There is another style of snatch where you corkscrew your wrist, but it's hard to explain. Also, you can swing snatch, dead snatch, hang snatch.

Next time, try 10/10. A 1-pood is light.

IronFist
03-29-2004, 03:20 PM
lol dude I almost hit myself in the head the first time I flipped it over at the top of the snatch. I was like "oh sh*t!."

Well, actually the second time. The first time I did it with a .5 pood (4kg I guess?) one just to get the motion down.

fa_jing
03-29-2004, 05:54 PM
8kg

blooming lotus
03-29-2004, 06:34 PM
if you want to warm up or add a little condition those stablisers like tranverse and erector spinae etc...try lower back extensiones while laying face down...or reverse it ) or do both )...and make it a lower target version of a chest lift..but come right up on your pelvis ish and keep your hands under your chin ;)

blooming lotus
03-29-2004, 06:35 PM
if you want to warm up or add a little condition those stablisers like tranverse and erector spinae etc...try lower back extensiones while laying face down...or reverse it ) or do both )...and make it a lower target version of a chest lift..but come right up on your pelvis ish and keep your hands under your chin ;)

try it with lower half elevated or incline/declines of same :D