PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Dit Da Jow Thread

Vash
03-28-2004, 04:47 PM
If you've got recipes lying around, know a good TCM practitioner who could do with a nice rep, or anything else having to do with Jow preparation/application, post it here!

I've got a couple of recipes, most of which I procured from AZWingchun. I'll post those later, if he doesn't object.

Also, what's the best Jow for general treatment for joints?

CaptinPickAxe
03-30-2004, 02:27 AM
I know of a great Herbalist/Taijiquan instructor out of Austin, Tx. His name is Shifu Hwang and his website is www.taichiherb.com

I belive he ships.

Vash
03-30-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the link.

I get a bit of money together, see if I can head over to Austin, check the dude out.

CaptinPickAxe
03-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Well, Hell. If you end up in Austin give me a call. We'll link up trade some knowledge, I'll introduce you to the "Three's Company" people, and take out for some drinks.

Drop me a PM if you ever plan to head to Tx.

Vash
03-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Will do. Hopefully I'll be able to get over there shortly after I get healed up. Not gonna risk roadtime at this point.

herb ox
04-26-2004, 03:10 PM
So, where's the recipes?

How about a basic recipe for a dit da poultice?

Okay, some observations - not a recipe, though.

Essentials appear to be:

Myrrh
Frankensense (aka Mastic)
Dragon's Blood (Dried Calamus resin)
Hong Hua (safflower blossoms)
Catechu (this appears to be the same as Betel nut)
Dang Gui (radix angelica senisis)

I've seen much added to this "base" formula, such as:

Fang Feng
Musk
Flying squirrel droppings (I kid you not)
Borneol (not common use in the States)
Sappan Wood (not sure exactly what this is for)

Ingredients are easy, it is the proportions that are most important and difficult to find.

peace

herb ox

ntc
05-10-2004, 05:48 AM
I had a very good thread going in the Wing Chun forum a few months ago on Dit Da Jow. We had a lot of very good information and formulas in it.

Here is the link:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=27504&highlight=dit+da+jow

manofkent
05-11-2004, 01:50 AM
I never buy dit da jow. just use arnica.
theres so much stuff in it that does nothing.

herb ox
05-11-2004, 05:12 PM
ahhh... but so much that does. I've always had excellent, repeatable results with jow.... and I play rough.

herb ox

herb ox
05-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Alright, alright, if no one else has any recipes on this thread, I offer this basic recipe up.

13g Myrrh (Mo Yao)
13g Frankensense (Ru Xiang)
16g Dragon's Blood (Xue Jie)
14g Safflower - flos carthami (Hong Hua)
5g Acacia Catechu - Gambir / Black Cutch (prob the hardest ingred. to find)(Er Cha)
13g Radix Pseudoginseng (Dangshen)
17g Angelica Sinesis (Dong Quai)
13g Dried Aloe resin (Lu Hui)

Crush the resins, shred or grind the roots and add all to a large glass or ceramic container. Add 1 litre of vodka, gin or rice wine (preferred). Seal tightly and store in a dark place for about 3 months, shaking occasionally. Decant into smaller bottles for use, always pouring a bit into a dish or cup to prevent contamination.

I've found this formula to be quite effective in dispersing bruises and other percussive injuries.