PDA

View Full Version : First Barbell Workout since, 1997 or 8

fa_jing
03-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Well - I think I've bench pressed about 5 times in this period, but other than that....zero barbell work

Having returned to physical cultivation after being sidelined with persistent back injuries, I got back into things somewhat slowly.

6 months no contact plus 3 years medium-heavy contact martial arts - some bag work, jump rope, situps, horse stance, etc.

7 months BW squats

9 months KBs - finally figured out how to weight train without aggrevating my back - the bells moving independantly of each other helps as I have distortion in the structure of my upper back.

Warmup: 1 x 10 135lb. Bench Press ( no bench emphasis today, just a little warmup and groove work)

I chalked up, we put 135lbs on the low bar in the power rack. I did 2 hang cleans, it felt easy, so I went right into 3 long cycle hang clean & Jerks.

We then loaded the bar to 155 - I did the clean and jerk + 8 secs OH hold - the clean felt pretty tough. I then briefly tried to press 155 but it was clear I wouldn't get it. I think my max OH press if fresh would be 145-150.

185 lbs. -- I failed the first time I tried to clean it. I was discouraged, but my friend Shawn pointed out that I had enough upward drive on the bar, just didn't get under it enough. I waited and tried again - this time I got the clean, although I had to step one leg forward a bit as I dropped. My groove for heavy cleans is totally off - I don't have to do much dip when cleaning 140 lbs. The jerk was pretty easy, and I held the bar overhead for about 8 seconds.

So for Clean & Jerk, the carry over from KBs to barbell has been pretty good. I have no doubt that with a month's training I could C & J 225lbs. from the floor.

1 x 6 135 lb. Bench press (whatever)

7-8 minutes rest - time to try some full squats with no belt. I've never tried these before, I used to do 3 x 245lbs. quarter squats back when I squatted. I should also point out that when I full squat my butt is 2 inches from the floor.

1 x 135lb.
1 x 185lb.
1 x 225lb + 1 x quarter squat w/same (successful)
rested, tried again with 225lb, failed embarassingly ;)
I feel under complete control as I descend, and have no problem coming out of the bottom, but as I near parallel on the way up it becomes very difficult. I think that only squats really hit the hips/low back/hamstring connection in this way.

I'm not thrilled with the carryover from KBs to back squatting - I have no problem ripping out multiple sets of 5 KB front squats with 140lbs...

But on the plus side, I don't think I could have ever done the 225lb full squat before...especially with no belt.

And the truly greatest benefit that KB's have provided me for squatting, is that I have much more meat in my upper back - the bar used to cut into my back and I would feel uncomfortable even using one of those bar sponge pads....
while now 225lbs. on a metal bar felt like nothing, pretty much.

I did 4 x HLR feet to bar + 2 HLR to parallel, held the last one and did a L-sit pullup, held my chin to the bar for a few seconds - I'm going to have to try more of those, seems like a great exercise

I then did 1 x 10 explosive BP reps w/135

I went downstairs and did 5/5 Extended one arm snatches w/24 kg

1/1 MP w/32kg KB

5/5 snatches w/32kg KB that's it

Squats made me almost want to throw up, BTW :):):):)

I've tested my bench recently, too - I think my overall impression is something like what you'd expect - there is some carryover from KBs to powerlifts, or at least you can maintain your numbers - but the real strength of KB isn't developing a 1RM in the powerlifts. It will give you more carry over to the ballistic lifts and of course it is great for strength-endurance, conditioning, grip, injury prevention, etc.

With all that said I'm going to join a gym and do heavy barbell work for a while, it is very fun, much like KB lifting. I like the idea of using barbells for some power work, heavy low sets low reps, and then doing detail work with the KBs--well, with the 24kgs mostly. ;)

mickey
03-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Hello fa_jing,

Would you please share with us how you managed to stabilize and strengthen your back? I also have a back injury and all I can really say about it is that Jesus was not alone when it came to lost years.

mickey

fa_jing
03-28-2004, 06:41 PM
I started out rehabbing it with Kung Fu - High and low horse stances, punching in the air, Qi Gong exercises which are kind of like Calesthenics. I also did Yoga for a couple of years. That helps too. I still have a pose or three that I continue to practice. I trained myself to be able to do a full Lotus. That will certainly help your lower back.

I gradually added heavier work like heavy bag, punching with weights, etc. I really needed all of that time since I began Kung Fu to recover. I did waste alot of time before just being sidelined and not working out. Sometimes my upper back would get stiff from MA practice, so I had to manage my volume. I avoided exercises that irritated me for a long time and am only just now returning to certain exercises.

I really thought my back would never heal, so that's some hope for you. My back isn't perfect but I get by on it these days, and I'm pretty sure it will never be so injured again.

Alot of people have had success strengthening their back using dumbell or kettlebell swings. Do you know what this exercise is?

IronFist
03-28-2004, 07:05 PM
fa_jing how much do you weigh?

mickey
03-28-2004, 07:26 PM
fa_jing,

Thank you for sharing. I get the feeling that you injury is in your upper back. Mine is in the lower. I do know what kettlebell swings are. I think I had better get "back" with yoga.

mickey

fa_jing
03-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Mickey - my most persistant injury is in the upper back, but I had low back problems too, and in the past have been sidelined by the low back for over a year as well. Horse stance is really good for the low back, because it gives you the time to make minor adjustments to find the optimum angle, stretch the hips etc.

IronFist - I'm just over 6'1", 187lbs. after the workout, after eating a handful of nuts and drinking two beers. I've been dropping weight a bit lately since I've been concentrating on high-rep KB jerks and snatches, but someone just told me that I look bigger recently.

Ford Prefect
03-29-2004, 08:18 AM
Good results, fa_jing. Just a word of warning with the oly lifts because I'm not 100% sure how much you trained them before. While some parts of the oly lifts are harder with KB's because of each hand moving independantly, I've found that it is much easier to do without having to worry about form nearly as much as if I was barbell oly lifting. Having form just a little off with the barbell is much more likely to lead to an injury than if you were KB lifting.

fa_jing
03-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks Ford. Yes, they say that Oly lifting requires more coaching than KBs. I think so, because it's more weight. A long time ago, a power lifter showed me the hang clean and the push press. One of the main things to consider, and the same goes for, say, KB windmill....is to know in advance how you are going to fail a rep. Fortunately I had a PT friend with me and I did the work in a power rack off of the low bar. When I join a gym, I'm going to find one that does oly lifting. ;) Even still, I'll stick with power cleans, power snatches, power jerks rather than the full lifts. I also want to do PL and keep up the KBs too.

fa_jing
04-04-2004, 03:33 PM
1 week later:

Warmup: 5 L/R snatches x 24 kg
5 reps two-handed swings x 32 kg
8 FS + Jerk x 48 kg

2 reps towel pullups

5r x 185lb bench press

2r x L/R 32 kg clean + bress

5r x 185lb bench press

155 lb x 1 hang clean + 2 jerks

185 lb x 1 hang clean (full clean)

185 lb x 1 hang clean(full clean) + jerk

10r x L/R 32 kg snatch

5r x 185lb bench press

1 x L/R x double extended windmill on blocks x 56kg (32 up top)

3 x L/R windmill x 32kg palm to floor

8r x FS + Jerk x 48 kg

L-sit hold on the KB handles

3r x L-sit pullups

1 x 8 HLR

fa_jing
04-04-2004, 03:35 PM
BTW, I take back what I said before - with a months training, I could C & J 205lbs, but not necessarily more.

I concentrated on getting under the bar on the hang cleans and naturally went to a full squat this time.

Ford Prefect
04-05-2004, 06:50 AM
Catching the bar in full squat is pretty tough. Especially with the snatches. You don't want to bail out of a full snatch without bumper plates. As for the jerk. Just remember that you are throwing the weight overhead instead of pressing it over head. You have to use your entire body linked to propel the bar upwards. Do you do split style jerks?

fa_jing
04-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Unfortunately I haven't been able to practice the barbell snatch yet, there isn't really room in the gym. My C & J I'm doing in a power rack with the low bars in place.

As far as using the body to drive the bar, remember I lift kettlebells, and the jerk is my best lift? ;) I know the mechanic is different but I am still "wave"-ing my body which I guess gets a little chest into the motion. I am only having to dip about 1/8 squat to catch the bar at 185 lbs. So no split jerk for me, not yet anyway.

Ford Prefect
04-05-2004, 10:11 AM
I've found that split jerks have allowed me to put up more weight than standard ones. I think it's a preference thing though. I had to train it with light weight for a bit before I got used to it. The waving isn't bad depending on how much you're waving. Obviously you have to a little bit to get your chin out of the way of the bar. Those form in the clips you posted of the KB C&J form though would bury you under a heavy weight. Not worth the risk of injury doing it any other way, IMHO. Back injuries aren't pretty.

Ford Prefect
04-05-2004, 10:13 AM
BTW, the snatch is a great exercise. Try doing a power snatch off blocks. Amazing for explosion. Oly lifting is great. Once you get the form down, sometimes you'll nail a PR and your form was so good that it feels light as feather until you catch it.