PDA

View Full Version : Bak Mei in CO

CaptinPickAxe
03-29-2004, 02:36 AM
I'm relocating to Colorado (yes, agian) and found a Bak Mei school. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the instructor. His name is Damon Davidson, and on his website he has no lineage information. What are some things to keep in mind when looking for Pak Mei? How can I tell a fake from the real deal?

Thanks in advance

CaptinPickAxe
03-29-2004, 02:38 AM
Here's the link:
http://longmontmartialarts.tripod.com/profiles.html

Pakmei
03-29-2004, 07:23 AM
Hi Captain PickAxe,

Looking at the website, it does look a bit suspect as he only mentions that he learnt Pak Mei after learning so many other styles.

However, this does not mean that he is a fake or not.

My best advice is to go along to the class and have a look.
Pak Mei has a very distinct body shape (concave chest, rounded shoulders, etc) and breathing techniques that is quite obvious when beginners are being taught

If you can have a chat with the instructor do so, and just ask who he learnt Pak Mei from and if possible which lineage ie Chueng Lai Chuen, Chueng Bing Lam or Chueng Bit Fat, etc or someone associated to these lineages.

Good Luck

Ralphie
03-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Hey Pickaxe,
I actually live in longmont. I can go check it out for you, although I've never heard of him b4 to tell the truth. I can also ask my instructor if he's heard of him as well. Send me a pm, and we can set it up.

norther practitioner
03-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Let me know about what happens.

norther practitioner
03-29-2004, 02:55 PM
You're also prob. not going to want to make the trip from Lakewood to Longmont....lol longer than my commute.

Ralphie
04-01-2004, 11:51 AM
I will be going there tonight, and will let you know afterward what I saw. I'll ask the guy questions, too.

MAC
04-01-2004, 04:07 PM
I think that you'll find the school has closed (that's what I was told). If this is the case, I may be able to put you in touch with someone that still has association with the particular person that was teaching the bak mei. Let us know what you find.

Ralphie
04-01-2004, 08:03 PM
That's correct Mac, it has been closed. I passed by today just to look as I was driving in that direction, and it no longer exists.