PDA

View Full Version : Lingshan Shaolin Temple

Brad
03-29-2004, 07:46 AM
Found this in my book "The Skill of Xingyiquan by Li Tian Ji"

"...according to a Shaolin monk, the Shaolin temple at Lingshan mountain has had a style called xinyi quan (heart and mind boxing) or xinyi ba(heat and mind grappling) since very early on, and it is one of the best styles of the temple. In 1963 I went to the temple to see the style xinyi ba practiced by the old monk Wu Shanlin. The character of his movements was very similar to the xingyi quan practiced now, which gives food for thought for xingyi historians. It remains to be investigated to what extent the xinyi ba of Shaolin temple is related to the xingyi quan taught by Ji Longfeng."

Where is Lingshan? Does anyone know if the temple is still there? Also, do you know if anyone still practices this style of xinyi quan?

:)

Oh, I just found this site: http://www.lingshan.com.cn/ I assume it's the same place I'm talking about, and there apears to be a temple there... but I can't read any Chinese so I still don't know anything :p

David Jamieson
03-29-2004, 10:55 AM
brad-

they have an english version of the site:

http://www.lingshan.com.cn/content/shengjin/di01en.htm

it says the temple was reconstructed in the 1990's, but there are references in the site to the Tang dynasty being the original period that the temple was constructed.

There is nothing in the site about Xingyiquan kungfu that i could find.

However, there is a reference to "ch'ien" (this could be a reference to ch'an or zen), which would make the temple a mahayana sect buddhist temple. This would also make it connected to Shaolin temple because Shaolin is the founding place of Ch'an/Zen in the world via the teachings of Bodhidharma , his discplie Hui ke and the patriarchs who followed.

cheers

Lao Long
04-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Hi Brad,

Lin Shan Si and not Lingshan Temple, is the temple of the book you have mentioned. "The Skill of Xingyiquan by Li Tian Ji".

Lin Shan Si used to be called Ling Shan Si before many decades. And it is among Hennan and Xian Provinces. This Temple was the motherland of Xingyiquan. But unfortunately, this a top secret area for Chinese. No foreigner can go there. But China change a lot. I was lucky to visit it in 1995 during of one of my trips.

The Headmaster of this Temple was the late Master Shi Shao Fang, (he died this year) and he was the brother of my Master. That's why i know about it.