PDA

View Full Version : You MUST Own This Book, Because It's Already Owned On You!

Vash
03-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Go now and buy Zen Shaolin Karate. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0804819181/qid=1080605941/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-2695986-3371116?v=glance&s=books) Indeed, the title sounds like a Shaolin Do style, but it ain't. Well, the title seems to be the name of the author's personal style, but that's an aside. This book is one of the best books on karate. Ever. Period. End of quotation.
With the exception of the first 79 pages, this book is nigh perfect.
Yeah, it has the obligatory "history of crotty" thing going on, and a few other things besides, but that's where the campy stuff ends.

Since the author was a student primarily of Japanese-derivitives of the Okinawan traditions, I figured this was gonna be a Shotokan-esque study of Sanchin and Naifanchi kata. Uh uh. This book covers in depth what could be rather close to the original performance of the solo forms, plus hints at the numerous applications contained within. When I say hits, don't think of it as a page or two devoted to possible applications. The applications fill the majority of the book. but, it is quite obvious that so much more can be done. The "how-to" equation of application extraction is presented here. Friggin awesome.

Oh, yes, on another thread, someone mentioned that OMA lacked "Silk Reeling." Well, your @$$ just got owned. There is a decently-sized section devoted to the tradition and applications of push hands within OMA. Again, I say unto thee, you got 0wn3d.

So, aside from the admitted campiness of the name repeated so often in the book, Zen Shaolin karate (why didn't the dude use Chan? he's got quite a bit of experience in Kung Fu, as well), and a few lines espousing the greatness of Zen and it's application to brawling, I give this book 4.9 Vash points. For those keeping track, every Vash point is equal to one star. And I use a five-point scale.

Go out, all ye who've practied southern kung fu, OMA, or even the OMA-derived JMA, and get this tome. If you don't, your life will have been meaningless.

But be careful; touching the pages made the tips of my fingers dry, like an old book you pick up out of the closet.

Hard, External-Only Karate Ideas Just Got Their @$$es 0WN3D!!!

David Jamieson
03-29-2004, 05:39 PM
that's Ch'an Shaolin Kungfu

and

Zen Shorin Karate

but who's counting?

this post brought to you by the number L

fa_jing
03-29-2004, 05:42 PM
silk reeling is not the same as push hands:p

Vash
03-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Fa_jing

My bad. That was supposed to be two separate paragraphs.

It talks about both separately.

fa_jing
03-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Well - I might get a chance to peek at it in Borders - but Karate comes from Southern CMA so I'm doubting there's any silk-reeling. Wing Chun, which I am experienced in, has no silk-reeling except for the Ba Gua tea serving sets which were imported into one of the lineages. Of course there is Jing, and Karate has Jing, meaning a pretty specific way to generate power.

What the heck is silk-reeling anyway
:D

Vash
03-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Crappers, my bad x2.

It's not silk reeling that's mentioned, it's silk weaving, which relates to the process of push hands.

I need some sleep.

joedoe
03-29-2004, 07:26 PM
I train in Ngor Chor Kun (which some speculate had some influence on OMA & JMA) and we do a type of push hands exercise. I am curious to see that book now and see what he comes up with and if there is any resemblance to Ngor Chor.

Vash
03-29-2004, 07:30 PM
The way it is described in the book, it is very similar to Uechiryu push hands. Arent' there some animal styles shared by NGK and Uechiryu?

joedoe
03-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Vash
The way it is described in the book, it is very similar to Uechiryu push hands. Arent' there some animal styles shared by NGK and Uechiryu?

I have to be honest, I have not done much research into either Goju Ryu or Uechi Ryu so I honestly couldn't tell you.

cerebus
03-30-2004, 12:37 AM
I read this book quite a few years ago (when it first came out). Though I don't agree with everything Mr. Johnson says, it is a very good book and I do like his approach. He also wrote another book covering further aspects of his system (though I don't recall the title at the moment).