PDA

View Full Version : flexibility [Splits]

Koing
04-29-2001, 12:06 AM
I'm just wondering how old you guys are and also if you can manage to do the splits with your legs out across????? not the other way by the way.

Can you????

I'm 17 and try to work about 20 mins on stretching and to be able to do it. I am baout 3" or less from doing it. Its so dam frustrating not being able to do that little bit lower.

My brother who is now 16 use to be able to do very easily but now he can't do it to save his life. I think when he was about 12 he use to be able to do it.

I know its not that important in WC to be able to do it but I'm just wondering if any of you guys can do it now or you use to be able to do it? As I've studied Physical Education and as you get older you lose flexibility naturally anyway.

"Bye 4 now; not 4 ever"

greedy
04-29-2001, 01:33 AM
A mate of mine started WC not being able to touch his toes, yet now, after about two years, can perform a full split.

His secret? Apparently he goes into his tiled bathroom after his solo training, puts some talc powder down on the tiles, puts socks on, and lets gravity and the lack of friction do the work. I tried it a few times. It gets you down lower than you thought you could, as long as you are willing to release yourself into the stretch.

Pain is good!

Cheers.

Koing
04-30-2001, 12:18 AM
hey man,

nice to see you reply here:) 51 views and only one other peson replied!!! come on all you have to do is take 1 sec and check the box and thats it!!!

anyway that sounds alright man but thats the problem the *pain* of your groin stretching that much and your legs. Now so much the carpet and the friction but the dam pain!!!!11

well I hope to be able to dot he splits in about a month with 20 minutes of hard stretching a day:)

^_^

also the fact that I'm younger then most of you guys naturally gives me a biolocgical advantage anyway:)

"Bye 4 now; not 4 ever"

passing_through
04-30-2001, 01:57 AM
I'm 26 and can do full splits - legs front/back to hips and straddles (chinese splits) - leg sideways to hips. When I get a chance, I can post some stuff on flexibility development if you're interested.

OH - forgot *bonk*

I started to develop flexibility at 20 years of age and about maxed out on the splits/staddles within a year. But I don't have much with my legs together out in front and trying to touch the toes. Hurt my back and my hams got tight. I just haven't taken the time to work in it since then - pain and numbness in the legs when I stretch my hams too much. But one day... :)

Jeremy R.

... opportunityisnowhere...

[Tz]Leon
04-30-2001, 09:30 AM
I can get down to about six inches. You have to be careful stretching your groin area as there are lymph nodes there.

Flexibility varies a great deal from person to person. For example, women are generally more flexible than men. Obviously, age is also a deciding factor. I stretch daily and I can't do the splits yet, but I have always been inflexible.

Have a look at this:

http://www.enteract.com/~bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/

Brett Again
05-07-2001, 08:53 PM
I've heard it said that, in fact, you DON'T necessarily lose flexibility as you get older. What happens is, as you lessen your activity, and thus your regular range-of-motion, your body adapts. This is why you lose flexibility. Sort of a "if you don't use it, you lose it" phenomenon.

Be that as it may, I'm more flexible now than I was ten years ago. (I'm 37)

"This is harder than it looks... and it looks impossible!"
-Chuckie Finster

kungfu cowboy
05-07-2001, 11:51 PM
yup (btw, why is this in the wing chun section?)

"Gimme a break, now I'm eatin' the cake!"-excerpt from the "Gimme a Break!" theme, as sung by Nel Carter. (circa the early 80's)