PDA

View Full Version : How to make a disposable camera into a tazer

IronFist
03-31-2004, 12:22 PM
wtf?

Link (http://www.techtv.com/unscrewed/ihateyou/story/0,24682,3653392,00.html)

Shaolinlueb
03-31-2004, 12:43 PM
sweet

norther practitioner
03-31-2004, 12:45 PM
:eek:

:scratches head:

mmkay, now we officially know that:
1. Ironfist has way too much time on his hands for finding this
2. Someone else has way too much time on their hands for figuring that out.

Kristoffer
03-31-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm gonna post this in the link section

Oso
03-31-2004, 01:57 PM
capacitors are great fun.

you can take one off of, say, the compressor to your home a/c and do an even better job.

look for the 277/480 volt models that are rated 15/20 of the units designated with a funnly looking 'mu' for pure party fun.

Oso
03-31-2004, 01:59 PM
and speaking of TechTV...anyone else watch it exclusively for Morgan?

MasterKiller
03-31-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Oso
and speaking of TechTV...anyone else watch it exclusively for Morgan? Her body is tight, but that face......ugh.

Oso
03-31-2004, 04:50 PM
interesting, I'd a gone the other way, nice face, ok body.

but really, the total package is pretty friggin' hot.

needs to ditch that adam guy...

and, so far, Jessica was my fav.

IronFist
03-31-2004, 05:00 PM
I found this link on another forum. I didn't search for it.

Post a pic of Morgan. I want to see who you're talking about.

GeneChing
03-31-2004, 06:25 PM
Has anyone tried it?

Oso
03-31-2004, 07:16 PM
IF

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/aboutus/story/0,24330,3347484,00.html

gene, capacitors store a charge of electricity that can release at a higher voltage/amperage then the source by which they are charged. In the case of motors, it takes more amps to get the windings started than it does to keep it running. A 'start capacitor' will be used to assist the starting of a motor so you don't have to run high amperage to it all the time. In the case of flashes on cameras, you use a small voltage battery to trickle charge the capacitor then when you need the high amperage to create a bright enough light, the cap discharges. this is why you will have a small tone or light that comes on when the cap is recharged enough to use.

and that is a hack maintenance guy's answer, not an electrical engineer's answer.:)

Oso
03-31-2004, 07:20 PM
oops, misread gene's question...

all I know is you can start fires with a charged capacitor from a microwave. and, if you lay your arm accross the terminals while changing a fuse...it hurts...a lot.

Gangsterfist
03-31-2004, 07:38 PM
I work in the IT field and repair computers and computer related equipment. Capacitors on CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors can hold over 35,000 volts and can be lethal. I know back when I was taking my apple service certification they had a whole section just dedicated to CRT repair and if you did not pass that section you failed the test reguardless of your score. That is because they did not want people frying themselves while repairing the monitors.

Capacitors are dangerous, and if you do not know what you are doing I STRONGLY ADVISE THAT YOU DO NOT ATTEMPT MESSING WITH ONE. If you were to get shocked with 1,000 volts through both hands it could go straight to your heart and kill you.

I have never been shocked myself, because I use a lot of safety percautions when working on monitors, and yes I have repaired many CRTs. However, an old co-worker has been shocked of mine. I heard a zap and turned around only to see him fly back about 7 feet from his work bench and land on his butt. Luckily for him he was not really injured just a bit shaken. That could have possibly ended his life if he had received the shock in a different manner.

wentwest
03-31-2004, 07:47 PM
GF is right. I build tube driven guitar amplifiers for fun, and it does involve potentially lethal voltages. Capacitors are nothing to fool around with unless you take the time to learn about them, and learn how to safely work with them (i.e. how to safely discharge them, etc.)

All that said, building guitar amps is fun, and this camera into tazer idea is kind of cool. I'll have to check out that link now...

Ferki
10-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Can something simialar be done with a radio control car servo? I heard about people setting off the fire in their pumpkins by somehow using the servo and the remote. How was this done?

David Jamieson
10-20-2006, 12:10 PM
all linky links send me to g4tv.com and a page not found.

David Jamieson
10-20-2006, 12:11 PM
never mind, i just realized that somebody resurected an age old thread.

why is this happening so much?

GLW
10-20-2006, 01:50 PM
basically, a capacitor is made by having two conductive plates separated by a space (you can get into other types but let's keep it simple)

The amount of energy that can be stored in a capacitor is related to the area of the capicitor's plates and the space between them..and even if you put them right next to each other, there is space...

In stores warehouses, they had problems with things like copper plates and the copper setup for circuit boards..... Some places would stack them...so you have a BIG set of plates...stacked high...and Capacitors energy is additive....

So..someone would go and take a plate off the top...discharge....and you have a crispy critter