PDA

View Full Version : some basic martial arts questions

red5angel
03-31-2004, 01:23 PM
I got 2 questions

1) Anyone ever taken any Hwa Rang Do, how was it?

2.) I'm looking for a school here locally that teaches something like Plum Blossom? Would anyone have any idea what that is? I know it's Chinese.

MasterKiller
03-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Hwa Rang Do is like Tae Kwon Do, but with some actual real application.

Plum Blossom is Mei Hua Chuan. Should be decent enough if taught correctly.

red5angel
03-31-2004, 01:37 PM
so is Hwa Rang Do just non watered down TKD?

Judge Pen
03-31-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
so is Hwa Rang Do just non watered down TKD?

No, I'd say its probably the other way around.

norther practitioner
03-31-2004, 01:41 PM
There was an article on it in either KFTC or IKF.. don't remember which, in the last 3ish years.. I'll look for it... no promise, but I'll look. NS might be able to help.

Moi Fah or Mei Hua, there are a lot of refferences in a lot of systems to moi fah, and there is a whole Mei Hua style, and aMei Hua tang lang (mantis)..

book (http://www.plumpub.com/sales/kungfu/meihuafist.htm) .

link (http://www.angelfire.com/ca/Meihuazhuang/)

Check it out, see if you like it....

MasterKiller
03-31-2004, 01:42 PM
As far as I know, it was founded in like 1960 or something, but is another one of those "based on 2,000 year-old traditions" arts. It does seem to have more combat application (compared to sport TKD), but I don't know much else about it except one of the guys in Tekken 2 used it.

Oso
03-31-2004, 01:43 PM
as I understood it, hwa rang is more closely related to the southern kung fu it came from. originated in the Scilla period of Korean history.

but that is all I remember from the Discovery show I saw once.

JP, as I understand TKD, it originated from shotokan karate.

red5angel
03-31-2004, 01:43 PM
No, I'd say its probably the other way around.

Judge Pen - so HRD is just watered down TKD?

norther practitioner
03-31-2004, 02:05 PM
thread (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=24917&highlight=Mei+Hua)

Kristoffer
03-31-2004, 02:17 PM
Hwa Rang was founded by elitist korean snobs who got beat up alot in school. the name means 'the way of the *****s'

red5angel
03-31-2004, 02:20 PM
Kristoffer, do you ever have anything worthwhile to say?

HAs anyone ever heard of "Chief Master Taejoon Lee"

EarthDragon
03-31-2004, 04:23 PM
re5angel,
let me get this straight..........you are on another thread involved with a qigong disscussion but yet you start a thread with a beginner's question?????????????? what? are you the guy who asked who would win in a fight bruce lee or chuck norris

red5angel
03-31-2004, 04:27 PM
LOL! don't take things out of context. I called them beginners questions cause I know nothing of either art I asked about, not because I am a beginner to the martial arts. It's sort of tongue in cheek. Sheeze! now your getting defensive on other threads?

norther practitioner
03-31-2004, 04:28 PM
a possible beginner at a different tma school....:rolleyes: doesn't mean a all round newbie.

rogue
03-31-2004, 07:26 PM
HRD is modified Hapkido and it's ancient history is a myth. Dr Bang had some mad skills which is evident from guys like Randy Warner. Note Michael Echanis, who is the most (in)famous person associated with HRD was already one of the most dangerous people before he ever met Dr Bang and it's blurry what he brought to HRD and what he took away from it. HRD is currently into more flash than substance, their ground fighting is laughable, their knife work maybe worse. Personally I'd avoid HRD like it was a leper with HIV. I would train with deAlba, Warner, Nepo and others of the old school HRD.

http://www.hwarang.org/Personal.html
http://www.hwarang.org/Contemporary.html

Tiger_Yin
03-31-2004, 08:27 PM
hwa rang do loosely translates to "pretty flower boy style" so in theory Kristofer wasnt all that off...

Vash
03-31-2004, 09:19 PM
The Dalai Lama said HRD suxors.

And he don't take crap from man nor woman nor small mammal. Including ninjas.

Vash
03-31-2004, 09:20 PM
EarthDragon,

I've seen some of your posts that don't reek of over-used bunghole, but your stuff is really making my eyes water.

PHILBERT
04-01-2004, 12:18 AM

HAs anyone ever heard of "Chief Master Taejoon Lee"

No, seriously, it means "Way of Flowerin Manhood" or something like that.

As far as it's origins, alot of people say it is a splice of like Hapkido and TKD and what not. They claim to teach ground fighting (like stuff that can beat up wrestlers and BJJ ON the ground). Some has some real application, others will get you killed.

MasterKiller, no one in Tekken used HWD. In Tekken, there was a guy who did Tae Kwon Do. You are confused with a character from Tekken 3, Tag, and Tekken 4 named Hwoarang. He used Tae Kwon Do.

Kristoffer
04-01-2004, 02:11 AM

Like asking neewbie questions on a online forum? No, not really :p

Oso
04-01-2004, 05:48 AM
thanks, rogue.

MasterKiller
04-01-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
MasterKiller, no one in Tekken used HWD. In Tekken, there was a guy who did Tae Kwon Do. You are confused with a character from Tekken 3, Tag, and Tekken 4 named Hwoarang. He used Tae Kwon Do. Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Oh well.

red5angel
04-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Like asking neewbie questions on a online forum? No, not really

like talking about martial arts at all? ;)

Thanks guys so far! Any more input would be appreciated.

Serpent
04-01-2004, 08:07 AM
And if that plum blossom school doesn't actually teach moi fa, it could be a branch of Wong Doc Fai's Plum Blossom Academy. They teach Tai Ji and Choy Li Fut.

apoweyn
04-01-2004, 08:40 AM
If I remember correctly, the deal with the hwarang and hwarangdo is this: As has been mentioned, hwarang means "flowering manhood." It refers to a social class in Korean society during the Silla period. The male children of the upper classes. As part of their education, they were expected to learn the same sorts of things that young men were expected to learn in many societies. Swordplay, poetry, strategy, etc.

When the term was appropriated by Joo Bang Lee (I think that's right), the hwarang began being depicted as a Korean equivalent to the samurai. Honourable warrior types. And hwarangdo was their method. To take it one step further, hwarangdo is associated with sulsado (the sulsa being the Korean equivalent of a ninja). The sulsa were supposed to have been taken from the ranks of the hwarang and trained as special ops types. Stealth, sabotage, espionage, etc.

But since the idea of the hwarang as a military class has (to my knowledge) been kinda dismissed, the idea of the sulsa is pretty suspect too.

As for the style itself, yeah it's a bit like hapkido. Combining hard and soft, circular and linear, and all those other classifications that we MA types seem to dig on. A lot of the kicks characteristic of taekwondo but with the joint locks and weaponry you might find in hapkido or kuksoolwon (another relatively recent Korean martial art).

Stuart B.

red5angel
04-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Serpent, I don't think they are Doc Fai Wong people but I could be wrong. I checked out his page and couldn't find any links or pages to anything in minneapolis.

Ap - I read up on some of that. It all sounds like typical stuff really just with it's own korean spin on it.

So far I haven't been able to find anything real conclusive on it so I am going to setup a meeting some time next week to come in and check the place out.

Serpent
04-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Serpent, I don't think they are Doc Fai Wong people but I could be wrong. I checked out his page and couldn't find any links or pages to anything in minneapolis.

Fair enough - just in case you didn't know. I have no idea where WDF schools would be anyway. However, let us know what that place is like if you check it out.

greendragon
04-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Red5angel, if you are looking for a school there locally, have you tried the Bamboo Temple of Gin Foon Mark ?

mickey
04-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Greetings,

Let's complete the line:

Hwarangdo from Korean Hapkido from Japanese Yawara. Then there is the Chinese connection.

mickey

Jook Lum
04-05-2004, 09:33 PM
R5angel,Just my opinion but you seem to jump from one style to
another often without spending enough time developing a base in
some of the arts you study. Is it the greener grass syndrome?

I understand wanting to add to a style you are studying, but
without a foundation you have nothing to build upon or make an addition too.

JL

YinYangDagger
04-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Can't really say about the unarmed aspects of HRD, but I learned some knife fighting from HRD in the Marine Corps, and I admit it was some really bad a$$ stuff (as in good).